POIs Out of date (LPG sites)

John J Thompson

This week I have tried to locate two CALOR outlets using their POI software downloaded from the site in the Autumn.

One site when I called the number had been taken over by the Calor Centre in Bishop Auckland and was miles away from Darlington the town it was listed for. The next one I phoned was in Newton Aycliffe and I was assured they were open and sold Autogas. When I got there I found that they in fact had not sold it for four years. They are still listed on the CALOR site and on the Forecourts LPG POI as well.

I have now got to wondering just how accurate these POIs are and how often and who is charged with maintaining the accuracy of the information contained in them.

John,

unfortunately POI's are going out of date all the time, i have driven out of my way to find a Shell garage, only to find it closed (Hirwaun,off A465). I download mine from the Tom Tom website, and now always check the date it was created.

I notice that the C & CC POI's don't include the 'new' sites from 2007/8 yet. so, calor are not the only ones. *-) Ray

As with most databases, the level of maintenance will depend on what the organisation/person sponsoring it gets out of it.

Where a company provides a PoI set as a free extra, which is not essential to its business, it probably won't update it all that often.

Even where PoI sets are updated regularly the ability to maintain accuracy will depend on the sponsor being able to obtain details of changes.

Many datasets which Tom Tom offer for download are submitted by users. Tom Tom do not check them for accuracy, or even for copyright infringement to make sure they are legally offered.

Graham

I must admit i am only interested in whether the POI is up to date and accurate, the copyright is of absolutely no interest to me, i am all for the free interchange of useful information. I am also not interested in 'safety camera' sites and don't have any POI's of these on my Tom Tom, as i don't want any Police in Ireland etc., getting 'hot under the collar' about my Sat-Nav. Ray

Archived