Insurance for van conversion

ALcamp

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

Is it not insured as a panel van? Have you not been using it since it was purchased and delivered to converters? You may have to wait till conversion comleted......You can kind of understand motorhome insurers reluctance to insure as it is not technically a motorhome yet......

try safeguard/comfort etc.....the converter should be able to advise as well.

Hi,

If you only want very short term insurance, do a Google for DAY INSURANCE, there are various similar insurance schemes. Start figure can be as low as £10 for 24 hours, and they will provide cover for up to a month. But it gets expensive over longer periods.

If you van has MGW in excess of 3000kg, you will soon need Type 7 MOT. Slightly more expensive, and more difficult to find a test station. Your converter should be able to tell you how to get the V5 changed, which means that you can drive faster too.

A GOOGLE-search on "insurance motorhome conversions" retrieves a fair amount of information, though much of it seems to relate to DIY conversions.

I would have thought that any professional firm that converts vehicles supplied by customers will inevitably be asked about insuring the vehicle while it is in their care and should be able to point the vehicle's owner in the right direction.

I agree that the converter's insurance should cover the vehicle until you collect it.

I had a new 'van supplied and converted by Leisuredrive and they only asked for my insurance details about a month before collection so it could be registered in my name as the first owner.

My cheapest quote was through the Caravan Club.

John

• 2 weeks later...

My LDV with a bed in the back is currently covered by Commercial Direct Insurance www.cvd-insurance.co.uk

I have had trouble at different times getting insurance because mine's neither fish nor fowl - also getting standard car rate on Severn Bridge was hit and miss for same reason.

It is strange how rigid insurers are, you would think they would be queuing for your business. Have had it for ten years, no accidents and one insurer dropped me after a year.

Neil

Guest JudgeMental
ALcamp - 2010-01-07 8:34 PM

Thank you to all that replied have now sorted out the insurance :-D

It might be a help to others if you say who with?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived