Pre-Purchase Check

zaria123

Ive found a Motorhome which I particularly like, nut it is for sale privately, and as we know little about what to loo for we were wondering if anyone out there knew if a total vehicle check can be done, and by who?

The RAC etc do offer a check, but it doesnt cover the actual motorhome end of things, only the base vehicle.

Soemone in the London area as this is where the vehicle is located.

Cheers

Alan

Guest JudgeMental

The commercial van side of things can be checked by companies who for a fee will do a report and a HPI check. last time I used one a few years ago it was approx £120. The main area of concern to me with the motorhome side is damp in the structure. will the seller let you take camper to a dealer with a workshop for an inspection? or maybe you can find someone mobile to inspect it.....

other then a damp check just make sure everything works and functions OK? fridge/heating/pump/shower/taps/A/C/lights.

how old is the van and what type? As other forum members may be able to advise regards problems with particular models

The motorhome is a 2002 Elddis Autostratus with 12,000 miles on it.

I think this model has a once piece fibre glass roof, which i thought would be beneficial over a standard joined aluminium roof when it comes to keeping the weather out?

Yes my main concern was damp ingress, and Im worrieed if I checked myself whether something might be lurking unseen.

I thought I'd rather spend money getting it all checked over as its our first motorhome we wanted the experience to be good rather than problematic.

I found this searching the net, has anyone heard or used them:

http://www.macic.co.uk/theinspection.html

Cheers

Alan

Check that it has a full service history, and that it was serviced during 2009.  If not, think twice - or even three times!

A habitation service, or its equivalent, should have been carried out annually, either by its owner or professionally.  If professionally, there should be bills to see.  If the owner has serviced it himself, try to find out what has been done, and when.

This is an eight year old van that has covered 12,000 miles.  That is an average of 1,500 miles per year.  It will inevitably have spent long periods standing around, and, unless kept under cover, to have suffered accordingly. 

You must expect some resulting complications, for example corroded brake discs, and possibly corroded clutch components, that may need replacement or cleaning and lubricating.

I would expect the cambelt, probably the water pump, and all other drive belts, plus the engine coolant, and the brake fluid, to all have recently been replaced, or to need replacing, on grounds of age.

Unless it has recently had new tyres, it will need them all replaced, including the spare.

I would expect the habitation battery, and possibly the starter battery, to be pretty much shot after so long standing without use.  Anticipate having to replace at least one.

Anticipate some trouble from the fridge when on gas.  It is probable the gas jet will be blocked, and the flue suffering from corrosion.  Not serious, but another reason for a habitation service before you sally forth in it.

If you buy it, don't go off on an extended trip first time out.  It will probably die of fright!  Try short trips initially, and have a good look round it after each trip.  This is not to say it will let you down, these are tough little trucks.  However, they are made to be used, not to stand around, and the mileage on this particular van is very low for its age, even for a motorhome.  Once you have "de-bugged" it, provided the bodywork is sound, it should give years of reliable service.

I agree you should only buy this van if you can get a full condition report.  Ideally, it needs to go to a Fiat garage for an inspection, and a motorhome workshop for the habitation elements to be checked.  Personally, unless the asking price is substantially below the forecourt price of a similar van from a dealer, or unless you are confident and competent DIYers, I would suggest, in this instance, buying from a dealer.  It could be an absolute beauty, or it could be a bag of (expensive) trouble.  The inspections are the only way to find out. Might the seller agree to pay for them?  If you buy, you could always offer to reimburse some of the cost as a goodwill gesture.

Thanks for the detailled information, this is really down to opinion and isn't easy to answer but if you were presented with the following options what would you choose?

Assuming all things were equal condition wise etc.

a) 2002 Elddis Autostratus 2.5 Peugeot Boxer 22ft 13,000 miles £19,000

(Bike rack, integrated awning, reversing camera)

b) 2004 Bessacarr E445 2.8 Fiat 21ft (It think) 6,500 miles £23,000

(No extras fitted)

The Elddis vehicle is private sale best price, the Bessacarr is Dealer Screen price prior to negotiation.

Both vehicles have the rear bathroom / overcab bed / rear seatbelts we are looking for.

Cheers

Alan

If I could afford to buy either without credit, then subject to the checks recommended, I think I might go for the Elddis (But first, make sure you fully extend that awning, as there may be a total mess of mould and corruption inside its nice little casing!) and put the £4,000 saving into the best interest bearing account (not in Iceland!! ;-)) I can find.  Then, if things need fixing, I'd be able to get them done without too many tears.

If any kind of loan were required, I'd go for the newer Bessy subject to a proper understanding with the dealer as to how far he is prepared to guarantee it himself - no insurance nonsense.  I'd first check the dealer's credentials, and how long he has been in business, and I'd just carry on looking if I didn't like any of the information I got.  The problem, again, is the ludicrously low mileage and the potential problems that may bring.

However, the 2.8 JTD is arguably the better engine (provided it is the JTD version, if it is a straight 2,8 without the turbo, I'd be inclined to move on, it is a bit of a lethargic old nail of an engine), but if it comes with the standard 5 speed gearbox, I'd be wary of the potential 5th gear problem, especially in a van that has stood around for so much time.  The 5th gear can be replaced fairly easily, but I'd rather expect it may need it.  Lack of lubrication appeared to be the fault, and when it stands all the oil drains from it - so it runs rather dry until the gear oil is nice and warm and being thrown around by the other cogs!  Dealer to comment?  Either will need power steering, so check it is there.

If he'd match the price of the Elddis I'd take his van, subject to feeling confident in him.  See if you can have a talk to Trading Standards to see what, realistically, you should expect from a dealer on a 6 year old van, in terms of merchantable quality.  If the dealer will agree to deal with you as they advise, and you can get that in writing, that should be fair comfort.  If he offers a full warranty in addition so much the better.  Stress the position with your child as your reason for being picky, a little understanding on his part will do no harm.

However, in the end, there are more than just these two vans available, and you now know what you want.  A van that has been used should have somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 miles per year on its "clock".  A little more than that will do no harm, but less will be liable to have done harm.

Very low mileages indicate little actual use of the van: the fact that they are now being sold suggests to me that either there are problems owners keep finding that persuade them to sell, or someone has had poor health and couldn't use it, but kept it hoping to recover.  In either event these vans will have spent months standing idle, either awaiting sale, or recovery.

So, don't go against your better judgement on either vehicle.  There are/will be others.

Archived