SECOND VEHICLE INSURANCE

THE SHEPHERD

After fifty years of driving and paying vehicle insurance I have recently become another person.It goes like this, we decided to decrease our carbon footprint and instead of using the motor home on a daily basis we would purchase a smaller vehicle to use as a runaround ,enter the CClub insurers.

It would seem despite being a qualified driving instructor,a retired police advanced driver and instuctor,I have overnight become an 18 year old who has just passed his test, as they want £700 pounds for the insurance and the protected no claims from the camper can not be transferred to the smaller car without the camper insurance being increased to compensate,the camper at the moment being just over £300, the rules apply if we want to promote my wife to first named driver having been second driver for many years. So any one who wishes to lose the years.insure another car, it works wonders and means the brokers can have a really good holiday. TS

We have insured with various companies for our cars - unfortunately we still need 2 for work commitments etc. - staying with Safeguard for our MH. We have always been offered additional discount for having 2 vehicles with one company - last year Aviva even gave us 50% off our house and contents insurance to change 2 cars to them in addition to the discount. I would get quotes from elsewhere if I were you. ;-)

I don't know if it works the same way but when we first insured our MH with Safeguard they gave us a no claims discount on the first year's insurance purely because my husband had a number of years with his car - after all you can't drive 2 vehicles at once.....

Guest JudgeMental

£700 for a teenager a bargain! twice that in London :-S

SAGA will mirror your motorhome policy, crediting your NCB to car as well. Safeguard will let you transfer your NCB to a car and keep your full discount on the van but loose your protection.

Now this was last year when we were considering a 3rd car, but stayed with the one. my wifes full NCB is on the car and mine, the van.

you need to check with the insurers yourself though.........

First rule is that a second vehicle normally has to earn its own NCD.

Second rule is to shop around to see who wants your business badly enough to give you an introductory NCD for the new business, so that you start off on max with the second vehicle.  We were offered this kind of deal in reverse, when we bought our first motorhome but kept our car.

Third rule is then go back to the club, if you can be fagged, and ask them if they want to match the offer you have.  Personally, I wouldn't bother, since they will, in all probability, slide the premiums back up as soon as they think you aren't looking!

Welcome, at length, to the real world!  :-)

As has been said, get another quote.

I run 2 cars and M/H, my new smart only £160 fully comp. cant remember Kuga's price, around £300 I think.

Only connection between cars i have found is that an accident in one has to be recorded on renewal on others.

J9withdogs - 2009-12-31 5:04 PM

A little aside-

Apparently you do not need Legal Cover on each vehicle. If you need to use this service, it is not vehicle-specific.

..but someone may tell me I am wrong... *-)

Hmmm... I will qualify that statement. It appears that some policies are for the insured vehicle only, some are not.

Archived