Thermostat Problem - Carver Heater

Drollie

Just returned from a very frosty few days away and only one hitch was the Carver Heater in my Swift 530lp. Connected to mains electricity heats up beautifully @ 2kw just gets everything toasty warm then the thermostat cuts it out until every bit of heat is lost then it finally starts up again. Is there any means of bypassing the thermostat? Have tried to search the forum without success to see whether anyone has had a similar experience with the above heater. So we didn't get hypothermia had to resort to an auxillary fan heater - any advice would be greatly appreciated. (!)

You can get a remote sensor which plugs into the fires control box, but it sounds more like its relay problem on your control panel.

Contact Gary at arcsystems.biz he knows all about carver & truma heaters, & carries the parts

he's also posted on some caravan forums explaining how to diy it

Paul

Where is the control switch for your heater? Our Bessacar has it fitted to the side of the wardrobe with the back of the switch unit inside the wardrobe. The water heater is in the base of the wardrobe and the thermostats for the space heater is in the back of the switch unit so that means the thermostat is in one of the warmest places in the van!! That's why it turns off but not on again for a long time.

As posted above, you can buy a remote sensor that simply plugs into a jack socket to the rear of the space heater control unit and this bypasses the swith unit thermostat. You then have to find a suitable position for the sensor unit. Ours is at floor level under the bench seat adjacent to the space heater.

We had similar problems mid 2009 and I thought, at first, that the heater unit was faulty. The remote sensor solved it instantly - costs about £35 and DIY takes 15 mins to fit.

FD

Having re-read your original post, I see your van is a Swift 530 LP - the same, essentially, as our Bessacarr E410, just different trim. If that is so, it is more than likely we have/had the same problem and therefore the same solution may well work. If you need photos of how the remote sensor fits and some more fitting details, let me know.

FD

I was a little confused by the title as Carver Fanmaster heaters do not, I believe, have a remote thermostat sensor.

I am guessing that you have a Truma S3002 with Ultraheat 240v heating elements.

We had a similar problem on our 2002 Eccles Onyx caravan, in that the heater would warm the 'van, switch off and then take ages to switch back on again - leaving us cold. The problem is that the control dial is mounted on the side of the wardrobe, which acts as a heat store. Only when this had cooled down would the heater switch back on.

We fitted a remote sensor to the gas temperature sensor (cigar shaped object at the bottom front of the heater) and this transformed the heating in the 'van - now maintaining a constant temperature.

Do check if you have a remote sensor already plugged in as these were sometimes fitted by 'van manufactureres in the wrong place eg opposite or next to a blown air outlet or near a cooker. If one is fitted, it just needs relocating.

Gary at Arc Systems has been recommending the fitting of the sensor to the gas thermostat since 2004. The heater manufacturer caught up in 2007.

The sensor manufactured by Arc Systems (also on e-Bay) is cheaper than the Truma one and is also has a faster reaction time.

Hope this helps.

Mike

You are quite right it is a Truma heater, and I am extremely grateful for all the valuable advice. I am now confident that you have identified the problem and also the cure so will be acquiring said sensor and then back to FD for photos of fitting etc. Meantime my thanks to you all, what a great forum this is... :-> :->

Drollie - 2010-01-03 7:18 PM

You are quite right it is a Truma heater, and I am extremely grateful for all the valuable advice. I am now confident that you have identified the problem and also the cure so will be acquiring said sensor and then back to FD for photos of fitting etc. Meantime my thanks to you all, what a great forum this is... :-> :->

When we supply the sensor (manufactured by Arc Systems) it comes complete with fitting instructions as well as tips on how to get the best out of the heating system.

Mike

Archived