France 2010 Landbridge

Irish Mike

Hi, Im planning to head to France from Ireland through the UK June 2010. I will sail into Pembroke and I was then planning to sail to Cherbourg via Poole. Poole is 210 miles from Pembroke. I expect to that in 5 hrs easy. Is there anything I should know re the poole /cherboug ferry?. They say 4 hrs plus by day and 6hrs by night. Are roads/access ok?

Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mike

Mike

Are you aware that 'conventional ferry' operation on the Poole-Cherbourg crossing is planned to cease in March 2010, leaving just 'high-speed ferry' operation on that route? (See the following links)

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenchlife/2009/12/brittany-ferries-barfleur-poole-cherbourg-.html

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=120881

I believe there are vehicle size/weight limits for the Poole-Cherbourg high-speed catamaran that may well affect you. If you haven't already done so, it would be wise to check with Brittany Ferries about this.

Difficult to advise on the roads between Pembroke and Poole. Pembroke to Bristol is easy - but I'm not sure what's the best way after that as, to some extent, it's going to depend on whether you will be driving during the day or at night. I would have thought 5 hours should be plenty, although my neighbour managed to miss a Poole ferry by underestimating how long it would take from Bristol onwards. Reaching the Poole ferry-port is much simpler from the west than from the east.

I've done the landbridge quite a few times although I always used Protsmouth to Cherbourg.

For the past 5 or 6 years I've used Rosslare to either Cherbourg or Roscof. I reckoned it was cheaper and a lot more pleasant route to travel. Remember to factor in your fuel and, in some cases, an overnight stay in England.

The Irish Ferries or Celtic Link sail in the afternoons meaning an easy morning drive to the port. I always book a cabin. You can have a meal and a few beers and watch a show - that is if you like that sort of thing of course?

It's far more relaxing than using two ferries and a stressful drive in between.

This is only my opinion. Others will disagree.

Last year I paid approx £325 return including a cabin on both sailings. We always have a half- decent meal and a good breakfast on the ship.

I hope this helps even though it doesn't actually answer your original question.

Thanks for that machine head. I usually use Brittany ferries also but the cost in july is looking like 1700 euro. Celtic ferries is coming in at 1100 euro. I have 500 euro wort of tesco travel vouchers so I was thinking of taking the ferry to Pembroke ( compliments of tesco!) and then follow your advise of portsmouth to Cherbourg. Derek mentions that Poole conventional ferry is ceasing in march. So Porthsmouth is the best option

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Mike.

Limerick

You're very welcome Mike.

I'm sure you already know this but I'll mention it anyway - the days you chose to sail on make a huge difference to the ticket price. Maybe worth looking at?

I know the Tesco vouchers make a huge difference to your ferry cost so that is probably your best option.

Either way I hope you have a great holiday.

Irish Mike,

I know it will miles add to your trip but it may be worth pricing Dover-Calais with Sea France. I've booked a return for less that £40 in May/June 2010 with a LWB high roof T5.

We always use the Calais dock park for a nights sleep both outward and return sailing out late evening and back early morning.

I usually travel to France from Poole. I live in Cardiff and it takes about 3 hours to get to Poole so I think 5 hours from Pembroke is the minimum time you can expect to travel.

The A350 down to Poole from the M4 is not the fastest of roads! It's very narrow and twisty in parts, and as it's the main link form the M4 it's busy with HGVs too.

I used the route because I liked the 4 1/2 hour crossing on the Barfleur as I could crash out in a cabin but as that's ceasing I'm not sure where to travel from! I'm not keen on using the M25 to get to Dover because I prefer to holiday in western France. All the other routes are over £450 in late June/early July so I guess I'll have to stick with the fast ferry from Poole which is £400 return. It's bound to be much busier than the Barfleur but with no cabin's to hide in! :-(

Sorry I'm not much help but I'm in a similar position. I don't want to go to Dover and I don't want a 6 hour ferry crossing either. Bring back the Barfleur I say! B-)

Regards

John

Derek Uzzell - 2010-01-03 5:15 PM

We always cross to France on the conventional ferry using the Portsmouth-Caen route. It's cheaper than the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route (which is now fast-ferry only) and the timings suit us. It's also an easy drive for us from home to port.

I've checked that route and agree it's probably the best option. It's the same price as the fast ferry from Poole to Cherbourg but includes a cabin both ways!

Derek - can you recommend any campsites near to the ferry terminals in Portsmouth and Caen please? The most suitable ferry leaves both ports at 8.15/8.30am so an overnight stop close to both ports would be necessary.

Regards

John

Camperdude - 2010-01-03 5:27 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2010-01-03 5:15 PM

We always cross to France on the conventional ferry using the Portsmouth-Caen route. It's cheaper than the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route (which is now fast-ferry only) and the timings suit us. It's also an easy drive for us from home to port.

I've checked that route and agree it's probably the best option. It's the same price as the fast ferry from Poole to Cherbourg but includes a cabin both ways!

Derek - can you recommend any campsites near to the ferry terminals in Portsmouth and Caen please? The most suitable ferry leaves both ports at 8.15/8.30am so an overnight stop close to both ports would be necessary.

Regards

John

For an overnight stop near Caen we have used Les Pommiers several times.

It's only 5 minutes from the ferry ( or 15 minute walk along the canal towpath).

Not a great site but convenient as it's on the main road out of the port.

Staff friendly and most seem to speak English.

Lot of residential vans on half the site - the rest is available for tourers.

Seen quite a few Brits there ready for early morning boat.

Irish Mike - 2010-01-04 2:06 PM

Thanks for that John, How long is the a350 to Poole when you leave the M4? Also the fast ferry is not an option for my I think. Is'nt that height/weight restricted? I have 3.5 TON 6 mtr Dethleffs 6 berth

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike

The route from the M4 J17 down the A350 to Poole is about 65 miles but it takes about 1 1/2 hours! Cardiff to J17 takes about an hour so I usually play safe and allow three hours from Cardiff.

I found this on Brittany Ferries website relating to the Normandie Vitesse which takes about 2 1/4 hours to get from Poole to Cherbourg - it travels at 40 knots in good weather! Loading can be pretty hectic as you have to drive on and do a U-turn as there's only one entrance/exit.

"We cannot accept bookings for the following vehicles on the Normandie Vitesse; vehicles over 3m in height and/or over 6m in length; caravans or trailers over 1.83m in height and/or over 3m in length; vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in weight."

Sounds like your Dethleff is the maximum size/weight able to travel on this vessel.

As others have said, perhaps sailing on the conventional ferry from Portsmouth may be a better option.

Hope this helps.

John

Camperdude - 2010-01-03 5:27 PM

Regards

John

We take an early-afternoon crossing from Portsmouth, so don't need an overnight stop at the UK end. On arrival in France and prior to the early-morning sailing back to the UK we overnight on a car park in a village close to Ouistreham.

This is an earlier forum thread about Poole and Portsmouth crossings:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16775&posts=7

It's a mite out of date now, but it could still be useful.

Archived