Spanish gas cylinder

hymer1942

Its easy to buy Repsol cylinders at various markets, but you will not be able to exchange Repsol steel for small 7kg Repsol plastic. I know I've tried several times. You might get lucky if you stay on a site for a while as the Repsol lorry will visit, as they do to the regular free camps, and for a few Euro's?? who knows.

Unfortunately I've never needed gas when the gas lorry appears, sods law!

Cepsa do a smallish, 7kg? in shiny aluminium, again you can get these at car boot/markets but I've found these much rarer to spot. Go for the large Repsol, market prices are from 10E empty to say 20E for one with some gas.

Portugal is the place for buying or swopping any type of "spanish" cylinder. Thats where I got mine changed for a lightweight plastic, but beware they are quite a bit wider/fatter than the Cepsa aluminium, but you will get it into a A class Hymer locker no problem.

Thanks for that Marvin, its for a bit of insurance really, I have 2 large Gaslows but for some reason they have a mind of thier own when filling, sometimes only fill half and the guages are useless, I have already had one of them replaced to no avail, with hindsight it should have been another tank as on my Starline.

Regards Barrie

vindiboy - 2010-01-02 7:35 PM

Can I get an exchange Spanish Repsol bottle in Portugal or do the Portugese have different bottles to Spain ??? :-o

Yes you can if you want/need to. I swapped a largish (11kg or thereabouts)steel Repsol bottle for a smaller (6/7kg) plastic Repsol bottle, which is what I really needed. If you get to Portugal with an empty gas bottle, don't worry there are loads of places that will refill any bottle. I saw French, German, Calor and even Camping Gaz bottles being refilled. The filling places know how much to put in each type of bottle, so its no problem.

I'd paid 10E for the first (empty) bottle from at a spanish market, bought 2 refills on route to Portugal and changed it at a Repsol agents near Paderne and was given proper paperwork and a 15E credit for the empty bottle! Which was an ok deal.

I had tried to swap bottles in Spain once at the bulk Repsol LPG station in Alicante and again at a regular Repsol petrol station near La Manga with no joy at all. It seems that if you want to buy a bottle and you don't want paperwork Spanish campsites owners will sometimes speak with the delivery drivers, and get you a bottle. The Repsol gas lorries also visit the free camps to exchange bottles, you might find a driver who will sell you a full bottle, but don't pay more than, say 30E for an 11kg bottle.

The orange steel 15kg Repsol butano bottle are EVERYWHERE across Spain....as there's no mains gas here, so everyone who uses gas for any heating or cooking domestically uses them. (or the very tall big bottles for bulk domestic use)

Current price for an exchange of empty bottle for full one is 10.50 euros.

Empties can be found at almost every rastro (sort of car boot sale/fleamaket) which are hugely popular all over the country....the going rate is about 10 euros.

Every town will have Repsol exchange depots as well as almost every Repsol petrol station.

Don't bother trying to buy a new, full, bottle at any of these ('cos the contract paperwork is longwinded, in Spanish, and you need a Spanish address and NIE number). Just ask in any bar where you can buy a secondhand empty one, and then take that to swop for a refill at any Repsol garage or depot.

They don't ask questions; they simply take your money and give you a full one in exchange.

You may be lucky on your travels and see one of the Repsol delivery lorries going round urban areas to exchange bottles with householders...usually you can flag him down and he'll swop a bottle for you in the street too.

Remember you'll need a Spanish bottle-top regulator (they are rated at 28 mb pressure from memory, available at any DIY or hardware shop, cost about 10 euros), which comes with a length of flexible hose and jubilee clips, and then you have to attach this to your gas pipe in your gas cupboard.

Certainly I've seen at least some Repsol garages in Portugal stocking the orange bottles as well.

The silver Cepsa bottles are the "opposition" in Spain.

About the same size, and lighter to carry, but nowhere near as common, and not interchangeable with the Repsol ones.

Archived