Motorhome Insurance

tony.

Hi

No problems with them over the last 3 years, the only downside if you can call it that is that they will only do a combined insurance & breakdown cover, which is absolutely perfect if you don't already have breakdown cover provided elsewhere.

Having said all the above we switched this time to SAGA who were a lot cheaper for very similar level of cover, they will provide insurance with or without breakdown cover, we are over 50.

We decided to take ADAC breakdown cover which covers all of our vehicles throughout the UK and Europe,

Hope that helps

tony. - 2010-01-04 3:49 PM

Thinking of changing companies to " Safeguard " has anyone had good experience of this company. They seem very efficient. Thanks

More than happy with Safeguard almost changed to Saga but they do NOT do legal cover whilst in Europe only UK and as we spend most of our motorhoming in Europe I feel legal cover to be a must although Safeguard are not the cheapest its the quality of cover for the money that matters , if you only poddle around the UK on low milage and are not bothered about breakdown cover and a high excess there are some really cheap deals to be had but thats not for me as they say you only get what you pay for .

Hi,

It worth checking whether you already have legal protection insurance before purchasing it from your vehicle insurance provider, as quiet often its already included with some of your other purchases or from your bank.

If you are a member of the CSMA or GEM its included in your membership and extends cover to the EU.

Some household policies provide legal protection insurance free with your normal cover, albeit double check as some do not include motor related cover.

Its also worth running a google on this type of insurance as there are a lot of questions on whether its really needed if you have fully comprehensive insurance, and with NO Win No Free solicitors in abundance you may find them queueing up at your door to take on your case free.

We rejoined GEM at £17/annum and their cover extends to all of our vehicles rather than the £20/25 charges made by most of the vehicle insurance companies, usually for each vehicle.

Hope that helps,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/jun/04/motorinsurance.insurance

kelly58 - 2010-01-04 4:42 PM

More than happy with Safeguard almost changed to Saga but they do NOT do legal cover whilst in Europe only UK and as we spend most of our motorhoming in Europe I feel legal cover to be a must although Safeguard are not the cheapest its the quality of cover for the money that matters , if you only poddle around the UK on low milage and are not bothered about breakdown cover and a high excess there are some really cheap deals to be had but thats not for me as they say you only get what you pay for .

We have used Safeguard for the last 10years and have been very happy with them. We had to use their Breakdown cover whilst in France one year it all worked perfectly, including 5 days Hotel stay, plus hire car.

We have just changed the van and they were the cheapest cover for us.

We were in the unfortunate position of having to make an insurance claim with Safeguard in 2008. We found them very courteous and, after an initial confusion (we'd never had to make a claim before so didn't know the way it worked), we had no problem at all. It took some time to get our van fixed but that was only due to the parts (windows) having to be sent from Italy. That was the first year we'd been with them (since February 2008) and we renewed with them last year - the premium had gone up quite a bit but this was due to us not being entitled to the 'new business' discount. However, after some ringing round I went back to them with the quotes I had and they were willing to match within a few pounds of a quote for nearly like for like cover (Safeguard being slightly better), so we stuck with them.

We're due to renew again next month but are undecided what we'll do as we don't know if we'll want the European breakdown cover with them as we're thinking of uprating our van (to 3.85 tonnes) and there are some changes on the recovery over 3.5 tonnes in mainland Europe which we need to consider.

Mel B - 2010-01-04 11:47 PM

We're due to renew again next month but are undecided what we'll do as we don't know if we'll want the European breakdown cover with them as we're thinking of uprating our van (to 3.85 tonnes) and there are some changes on the recovery over 3.5 tonnes in mainland Europe which we need to consider.

This is one of the reasons I have not renewed with Safeguard, I was always having to take out Red Penant Motoring to get the additional cover I required for a 3.8 tonner. See my earlier post on the "Rising cost of Insurance" thread.

peedee

Archived