there are both shown as €13 per night

also (not acsi )

lisboa camping

which looks closest but may be more expensive

we have been told you can freecamp under the monument of the discoveries

has anyone done it

or

anything else that may be useful on best places to see

we are planning to get a lisbon 72hr card and do a blitz!!!!

cheers

berti

I stayed in Camping Lisboa a couple of years ago, it has well laid out pitches and reasonable facilities. I can't remember the cost but it must have been reasonable based on ACSI or I wouldn't have used it. There is a bus stop near the entrance that takes you through Bellam to Lisbon. It's about a 30 min ride.

I have also wild camped at the Navigator statue in Bellam. In Feb 08 we parked with dozens of vans in the shadow of the Navigator despite the No Camper Car signs but in Feb 09 the vans had been moved on but we found two wild camps nearby:

1. Near the police station at Bellam Tower on a jetty backing on to the river. There are no services.  GPS 38o 41' 32'' -9o12'44''

2. Rua Marginal by the marina. No services unless you can reach one of the water taps through the marina fence! GPS 38o 41'39'' -9o12'10''

Take time to visit Bellam especially the custard tart shop at the tram stop near McDonalds

I stayed at the Costa de Caparica site three years ago. I gather that you can catch a bus outside the site to take you to Lisbon ( I had the motorbike). Comfortable enough site with good facilities. I usually walked into the local town for an evening meal at various restaurants.

Have a look at the site on Google earth....its there !

We stayed at Lisboa Camping in September.  Cost was 23 Euros/night.  Originally built for the Lisbon Expo and now becoming a bit tired, and somewhat lacking in maintenance (a general Portuguese malady!).  It is potentially very good, but just needs a but more care in looking after.  However, all that facilities work, are well cleaned, and there is plentiful hot water.

My bete noire was a total lack of proper chemical toilet emptying facilities anywhere on this site.  There are service bollards at every pitch, which give water, electricity, and waste water disposal via a stainless steel bowl.  Most of the bowls can be lifted off which has encouraged some, presumably, people to use this point to empty their chemical toilets.  Not clever!!  The official disposal point, according to the site staff, is at the motorhome service point where there is only a road grille suitable for grey water disposal.  However, as this is designated by the staff it is also used for toilet waste and the result is rather sordid!! 

That apart, the site is quite attractive, well shaded, and has excellent security.  Bus set to centre all as above.  Despite my reservations it is quite pleasant overall and probably the best bet. 

Try to arrive fully stocked, the nearest supermarket (just behind an Ikea) is an unpleasant walk away, but it will pay to walk once, just to work out where to go to park your van!  Several entrances lead straight into an underground car park with insufficient headroom for a van and a very difficult approach to reverse back down!!  You have been warned!!!

Archived