New toy - wifi dongle

Mel B

Hi all

We've treated ourselves to a wifi dongle for our mobile broadband. We use the mobile broadband in the home (our only way of connecting to the internet) and also use it away from home in the van. One of the disadvantages of mobile broadband over land-line based broadband though has been the inability to link up more than one PC/laptop at a time. For landline based broadband obtaining a router to enable more than one machine to connect at a time wasn't a problem but it couldn't be done with mobile broadband ... until now.

We are with '3' and have bought their new wifi dongle - it cost £49.99 from the '3' shop (don't be tempted to get one off the internet as they cost more!). We then had to install a wifi receiver in the computer (cheap as chips off eBay) and the laptop already had wifi connectivity so that wasn't a problem but if it had been you can soon get a slot in 'PCIA card' to get round that quite cheaply.

We've got it going on both the PC and the laptop and despite the weather badly affecting the broadband signal, me and hubby have been happily 'surfing' at the same time, him on the PC, me on the laptop, or vice-versa.

I can report that it's working well and one advantage is that we can place the wifi receiver anywhere we like to ensure we get the best signal possible. As it has an internal battery it can be turned on and used without it having to be constantly connected to a mains supply either but obviously it does need recharging, however we're using it plugged into the mains (it comes with it's own lead). It can also be connected direct to a PC as in the way you do with a normal dongle, or via a USB extension lead. Whilst it's plugged into the PC it also charges up the wifi dongle battery. We've noticed that the strength of the signal via the wifi dongle is better than the normal type of mobile broadband dongle.

Having this new bit of kit means that when we're out in the van with the laptop I can place the wifi dongle in the windscreen to get a better signal and comfortably sprawl on the bed to have a surf.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel B

Just curious, but what are your running costs? Dongles (basically just a mobile phone) tend to have quite high per-minute charges and also some restrictions as to whether you can carry unused minutes from one month to the next. I have found them OK for email, but quite expensive (and slow) for doing any serious downloading.

I am interested in the possibility of affordable, mobile internet access, so do tell.

Mobile Broadband is usually charged by a GB package ranging from 1 to 7GB a month. You can get it cheaper if you already have a mobile phone with the same network. I currently have a Vodafone dongle on contract, which I am soon to end, which costs £15 a month for 3GB. I have just got a bargain from Tesco which was a Vodafone PAYG dongle for £35, including 1GB allowance worth £15 which providing you use it every so often the allowance will last up to about 9 months. Why was it a bargain, well it came with 2000 extra Club Card points which is worth £80 on a Tunnel crossing!

David

Klyne - 2010-01-05 11:28 PM

Mobile Broadband is usually charged by a GB package ranging from 1 to 7GB a month. You can get it cheaper if you already have a mobile phone with the same network. I currently have a Vodafone dongle on contract, which I am soon to end, which costs £15 a month for 3GB. I have just got a bargain from Tesco which was a Vodafone PAYG dongle for £35, including 1GB allowance worth £15 which providing you use it every so often the allowance will last up to about 9 months. Why was it a bargain, well it came with 2000 extra Club Card points which is worth £80 on a Tunnel crossing!

Klyne your a man after my own heart, tesco points I love them, twice a year for the last 5 crossed for "FREE", I will have a look at the offer.

Regards Barrie

David

I recently bought a netbook and a dongle and I now wish that I hadn't. This laptop-like device looks to be a brilliant idea.

Massive amount of surfing time free of charge and only 5p per minute in Europe. After a year you can renew the contact for £30 for another full year's browsing.

This is all I need when on holiday. I don't need massive storage for hundreds of photos and documents etc.

All I want is to get my email and surf the net occasionally.

GypsyTom - 2010-01-06 12:57 PMI recently bought a netbook and a dongle and I now wish that I hadn't. This laptop-like device looks to be a brilliant idea.

Massive amount of surfing time free of charge and only 5p per minute in Europe. After a year you can renew the contact for £30 for another full year's browsing.

This is all I need when on holiday. I don't need massive storage for hundreds of photos and documents etc.

All I want is to get my email and surf the net occasionally.

I also thought that this Ubisurfer may be the perfect answer for motorhoming but I visited one site where there were user feedback comments and most were not very complimentary - particularly about the speed of the internet access.Has anyone tried one? Does it do the job well? Would be interested in first hand experiences.David

david lloyd - 2010-01-06 7:56 PM

Has anyone tried one? Does it do the job well? Would be interested in first hand experiences.

David

I have not tried the Ubisurfer but it is basically a larger version of the Pocketsurfer 2 and uses exactly the same platform, so it has all the disadvantages and none of the advantages. I do have a Pocketsurfer 2 and whilst in principle it sounds good in fact it is excruciatingly slow (compared to a mobile dongle even) and it is NOT capable of displaying all internet pages, it is so poor I have not renewed the use over the first year so it was £150 wasted as the device is not useable for any other purpose. If you encounter a page that it cannot display it hangs with only a partial download and you have to restart the device, alternatively you can hold on for ages and it will never download which is not so bad in the UK where it is free (so long as you don't exceed the months allowance) but it can run up very big bills abroad.

I would not recommend it as the PAYG 3 dongle and PAYG 3 phone with free Internet access is quicker better and cheaper to run.

Bas

Hi Basil

Thanks for that.

I never really considered a hand held device (like the Blackberry for example) as we do make use of the laptop when away so it was for more than e-mails and browsing. I have been nurturing the thought that I would get PAYG dongle for the laptop - possibly Vodafone as you are able to carry forward any credit from one month to another - but when I first saw the Ubisurfer this seemed like a better proposition. I must admit, I have heard other stories that it is very, very slow.

David

Mel b,I have a 3dongle and pay only £7.50 per mthy for 5gb also have a 3 router and will take up think 5 wi-fi units,all i have to do plug dongle into router and away you go and the cost of the think 10-20 pounds last year from car phone shop (cpw).Do need to plug router into 240v to work and i think it works well,and by the way also have 3 unlocked dongles (160E 627ZTE).Cannot get the router from the 3 shop so went on to the net then cpw bingo.

Basil - 2010-01-08 2:34 PM

Has anyone tried one? Does it do the job well? Would be interested in first hand experiences.

David

I have not tried the Ubisurfer but it is basically a larger version of the Pocketsurfer 2 and uses exactly the same platform, so it has all the disadvantages and none of the advantages. I do have a Pocketsurfer 2 and whilst in principle it sounds good in fact it is excruciatingly slow (compared to a mobile dongle even) and it is NOT capable of displaying all internet pages, it is so poor I have not renewed the use over the first year so it was £150 wasted as the device is not useable for any other purpose. If you encounter a page that it cannot display it hangs with only a partial download and you have to restart the device, alternatively you can hold on for ages and it will never download which is not so bad in the UK where it is free (so long as you don't exceed the months allowance) but it can run up very big bills abroad.

I would not recommend it as the PAYG 3 dongle and PAYG 3 phone with free Internet access is quicker better and cheaper to run.

Bas

The Pocket Sufer relies on any web page you call up to be re-directed to their server in Canada which compresses the the data before sending to your Pocket Surfer via a cellphone data link. That explains why it is is slow, does not display all web pages correctly & if they go bump you are stuck with a lemon.

Mel B - 2010-01-05 9:19 PM

We are with '3' and have bought their new wifi dongle - it cost £49.99 from the '3' shop (don't be tempted to get one off the internet as they cost more!). We then had to install a wifi receiver in the computer (cheap as chips off eBay) and the laptop already had wifi connectivity so that wasn't a problem but if it had been you can soon get a slot in 'PCIA card' to get round that quite cheaply.

I can report that it's working well and one advantage is that we can place the wifi receiver anywhere we like to ensure we get the best signal possible. As it has an internal battery it can be turned on and used without it having to be constantly connected to a mains supply either but obviously it does need recharging, however we're using it plugged into the mains (it comes with it's own lead). It can also be connected direct to a PC as in the way you do with a normal dongle, or via a USB extension lead. Whilst it's plugged into the PC it also charges up the wifi dongle battery. We've noticed that the strength of the signal via the wifi dongle is better than the normal type of mobile broadband dongle.

Have had a 'Three' USB dongle on my laptop for 2 years and very pleased with it, but now looking to upgrade to the wifi version. Local 3 store say nothing extra required, and will work immediately, so I am intrigued as to why you needed extras adaptor for your computer to make it work? I have also been able to pick up wifi in macdonalds and coffee shops etc.....

Cost quoted an extra £2 per month, keeping the 5Gb download, and free wifi dongle. Is this the deal you have?

I think there's a bit of confusion - wifi is not the same as mobile broadband. You can get mobile broadband with a dongle which you plug into your PC/laptop.

Wifi is a means of connecting wirelessly, that's all, it is NOT a broadband connection in it's own right. You can use wifi to connect to your broadband connection assuming that the connection already exists, ie either by mobile broadband sim in a wifi router, or by a land line based broadband connection and a router. Alternatively you can also access public wifi (McDonalds etc). This is how I used to access broadband connections when away from home (both in the UK and abroad) before we got a mobile broadband dongle.

We currently pay £7.50 a month for 5gb mobile broadband (18 month contract). Our computer wasn't wifi enabled so that's why we had to buy a wifi receiver for it, as our laptop was already wifi enabled (ie it had the capability built in) so that hasn't cost us any more, therefore the only extra cost was for the wifi router.

The advantage of the wifi router enables me and my husband to both be on the internet at the same time, something which we could not do with just the dongle.

If it hadn't been for our having a bad signal at times and us wanting to use the internet on 2 machines at the same time, I'd just have stuck with the replacement (upgraded) dongle I got when I renewed my contract last year.

Keith - I'm confused - if you only use your dongle on your laptop, which seems to be wifi enabled already (otherwise you wouldn't be able to pick up the McDonalds wifi signal), then why do you need a wifi dongle anyway?

Basil - 2010-01-08 2:34 PM

David

Bas

I have to fully agree with Bas regarding the Pocketsurfer, the concept is great, the reality is a major frustrating dissappointment.

I perserved into a second year, thinking that the service would evolve and improve but IMHO it has deteriorated further.

It does not support many e-mail addresses. Download speed is very erratic with a strong signal and virtually non-existant otherwise. In which case the Pocketsurfer "locks-up" and the only option is to close down & restart it. I also frequently encountered a "Network busy" notice, which locked the Pocketsurfer and again meant a restart required.

Having looked at the Ubisurfer spec, it only appears to be a larger version (screen wise) and is built on the same technology / functionality as the Pocketsurfer.

As Bas said, it can not be used for any other purpose, so it's either into the back of a drawer or bin it.

So I would not go down this route again.

I think there is a possible further confusion here, in the use of the term "WiFi", and maybe "dongle". 

WiFi is just a wireless technology that enables devices to connect to each other wirelessly (without wires, using radio waves).  Mobile phones use the same technology, but to a different standard and in different wavebands.  Bluetooth is yet another form of wireless technology, but is short range (transmitter and receiver have to be relatively close to each other).

WiFi can provide a direct internet connection, if the computer connects wirelessly to a wireless modem (the bit that actually gives access to the wired internet).  In principle, the WiFi works in the same way as a cable connection would, by allowing the one device to connect to the internet.

However, again by substituting the WiFi link for wires, several computers can be connected to a common wireless router (a kind of connection hub allowing connections between several devices) which, if it incorporates a modem, can allow the computers to interconnect with each other as well a giving internet access (an alternative version separates the modem and the router and interconnects them, either by WiFi or by cable). 

What is then created is a network, in this case a wireless network, using WiFi.

Mel (via the mobile phone company 3) has networked her computers with a wireless router to a mobile phone broadband (i.e. high speed) modem (the so called dongle), which allows them all to access the internet via the mobile phone broadband network (3G) which transmits her communications back to a point at which it interfaces the wired internet.

If she so chooses, her network will also allow her computers to "see" each other and share files directly between each other, and to print from any one computer in her network to any other that has a direct (wired) printer connection, or even to print to a wirelessly networked printer, if she has one.

One thing I forgot to say is that wireless networks are generally insecure, and unless secured, are what any WiFi equipped computer can connect to.  Unless you restrict access to your wireless router to your own computers (and presumably this will apply equally to routers that connect via a 3G dongle), anyone else who is within range will be able to connect and use your internet connection.  I effect, you will have created a wireless "hot spot", which could prove expensive on mobile broadband!

Brian Kirby - 2010-01-09 6:03 PM

One thing I forgot to say is that wireless networks are generally insecure, and unless secured, are what any WiFi equipped computer can connect to.  Unless you restrict access to your wireless router to your own computers (and presumably this will apply equally to routers that connect via a 3G dongle), anyone else who is within range will be able to connect and use your internet connection.  I effect, you will have created a wireless "hot spot", which could prove expensive on mobile broadband!

Yes,that is correct, and I assume that the same 'rules' (common sense?) would be applied by any users, whether on mobile or Landline wifi and put in a pass code to get into it, and also set up the 'hide from view'on the computer.

Hi

Iuse a free virtual private network, from Hotspot Sheild (downloaded from computer active) what it does is sheild your connection from outsiders.

It routes everthing through their serveres (which in itself could be a security breach :-S

But it seems to work o.k no one can see that you are on line.

Pete

Breakaleg, I am very interested in the shield that you describe.  Can you provide a link to the site please?  How can you be sure that it is absolutely secure?

I intend to use my laptop for banking when abroad so am interested in any means of making it more secure.

Brian Kirby - 2010-01-09 11:10 AM

Mel (via the mobile phone company 3) has networked her computers with a wireless router to a mobile phone broadband (i.e. high speed) modem (the so called dongle), which allows them all to access the internet via the mobile phone broadband network (3G) which transmits her communications back to a point at which it interfaces the wired internet.

If she so chooses, her network will also allow her computers to "see" each other and share files directly between each other, and to print from any one computer in her network to any other that has a direct (wired) printer connection, or even to print to a wirelessly networked printer, if she has one.

Nearly right Brian, except that with the new wifi router I have, the sim card goes in that and it is both a router and a dongle in one, so I don't now need a separate dongle (anyone want to buy one with a PAYG card???? :D ) It sounds like the same system that Keith is using.

Mel B - 2010-01-10 8:34 PM

Nearly right Brian, except that with the new wifi router I have, the sim card goes in that and it is both a router and a dongle in one, so I don't now need a separate dongle (anyone want to buy one with a PAYG card???? :D ) It sounds like the same system that Keith is using.

Brian/Mel

The system I have at present is the 'Three' USB dongle, which contatins the Sim card. What I am looking to take on is what I think Mel now has ?? Is that the 'Three' 'mi-fi' where you have a dongle, which can be placed in the optimum location for signal, and again containing the Simcard but 'talks to your computer and other equipment by wifi?

My understanding from the local '3' store is that no other connection/equipment is required, as my laptop already is equipped with whatever is necessary for the wifi, as I can already pick up such signals when in coffee shops etc?

Madmaggott - 2010-01-10 5:43 PMBreakaleg, I am very interested in the shield that you describe.  Can you provide a link to the site please?  How can you be sure that it is absolutely secure?

I intend to use my laptop for banking when abroad so am interested in any means of making it more secure.

Madmaggott - if you intend doing on line Banking from what may be an non-secure wifi connection, can I suggest you take very great care, as there are huge risks involved. I would NEVER connect to any Bank (or other site) where you are disclosing personal secure passwords for access unless you do not have to first input a personal code to use the conncetcion. I don't know anything about the 'Shield' system but personally,I would was to have your own password, and indeed would do some research first to find out exactly where this information is kept and who has access to it. If you are using effectively a third party connection/link, it is not secure as on your own computer, where I assume you do have your own password access protection.

Archived