Truma Heater Conversion

starvin marvin

Just wondering if it is possible with a gas only Truma heater/boiler with the the usual blown air fan, circa 2002, to be converted to accept a mains electric water heating element?

Our previous 2003 van with a Truma as above, had the electric heating element, which we found quite useful.

Thanks

I believe the answer is yes. There is an add on that uses a wrap around element and control unit. As to availability and cost I have no idea but have seen it in the past. I have toyed also with the idea of disassembling mine and cutting a hole in the stainless steel drum for a heater element, fitting of thermostat etc but never got round to it. The Wrap around heater seeming to be the better option.

starvin marvin - 2010-01-06 11:17 AM Just wondering if it is possible with a gas only Truma heater/boiler with the the usual blown air fan, circa 2002, to be converted to accept a mains electric water heating element? Our previous 2003 van with a Truma as above, had the electric heating element, which we found quite useful. Thanks

For Truma Combi units there was an electric heating element listed by Truma.  Have a look on their website.  I think the cost was around £200.  However, before going too far, check that you have sensible access to get your Combi out from where it has been installed.  Not often that easy!

Thanks for the replies, they're useful. I'll have a look at the Truma site.

Thinking aloud about it, I seem to recall that the Truma factory (if its still there) is close to the jcn A38/A50 near the JCB factory at Rocester, which is not too far from me, I could call in on the way to Ashbourne in the Peak District, if its still there, but not just yet awhile!

Thanks again

Just to clear up any misapprehensions of what this collar will do for you, it will heat the water, slowly but it will not provide electrically powered blown warm air. The C series heaters with built in mains powered heating can provide warm blown air because their heating elements are inside the warm air chamber. This heating collar fits around the outside of the water heating tank and therefore will only provide mains powered heating of the water.

D.

P.S. cost of fitting will be dependent on how difficult it is to access and remove the heater unit from the motorhome.

I've just looked again and it's for the Eura Mobil Integra models. However ours is a C 3402 or C 6002 and says it is a hot air heater with an auxiliary water heating facility. HAs anyone tried heating without water in the tank? It would be good on the odd times we take the motorhome out for a day trip in the winter.

Retro-fitting a 230V heating-collar to a Truma C-Series appliances has been discussed several times before on the forum, but, rather than link back to those earlier entries, it's probably better to refer to the following MotorHomeFacts forum thread as it's reasonably comprehensive:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-57276-days0-orderasc-0.html

As Dave advises, all variants of Truma C-3402, C-4002 and C-6002 appliances can safely be run as air-only heaters (ie. with their water tanks empty). However, the preceding C-3400 and C-6000 appliances must NEVER be run empty of water.

(I'm don't think this subject has been covered in MMM - at least not during the last 11 years - but I'm happy to be corrected.)

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that (a few years back) Eura Mobil Integra motorhomes had two separate Truma gas heating appliances as standard. A C-Series combination air-water appliance was the main heater, while a supplementary E-2400 provided hot air to the cab area and windscreen.

Archived