Blood testing (anticoagulation)

Guest acesiena

Guest acesiena

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience?

I now have to take Warfarin regularly and have my blood tested for its anticogulation properties.

I intend to travel to France this year (2010) and will need to have my blood tested during the time there. We intend to spend 2 months there moving throgh France possibly only stopping occassionally for longer than 2 days.

Does anyone one have experience of this and where can it be done, where is it done?

Thanks in anticipation. :-D

Guest JudgeMental

welcome!:-D

we have reciprocal health care arrangements with Europe so should be possible in any EU hospital......They do this for people in need of kidney dialysis etc

I was on warfrin for 6 months after a knee op and a blood clot to the lung that nearly killed me *-) I think if you are on it permanently you can get a machine and monitor/dose yourself...best ask GP/Hospitals advice or google

I just tell my local surgery that I will be abroad for a couple of months, or so. They always advise getting the INR checked at any European hospital, IF I think there are any problems. Over the last 3 years I've never yet felt the need for this. I'm certainly not going to let it stop our extended trips, now that life gives us the opportunity.

Freewheeler.

My Mother (89) is on Warfrin she has to have a blood test as and when decided by the last results as her range is ideally between 2 and 3. sometimes it is every week but has been up to three weeks. The process is (they are staying with us in Plymouth they live in Southend Essex just registered her as a temp patient) take Mum to Doctors Surgery to save her having to wait but can be done at the hospital, blood should if possible be tested within four hours of being taken for more acc results. Surgery is phoned same day if more or less medicene is required but if she is within range normally no adjustment to the dose is required. The thing to remember without being a scare monger is depending what the treatment is for accurate dosage is very important as too much could result in a bleed to little a clot But I am sure with carefull planning all will be well.

I would ask your doctor for a letter outlining any procedure that you need, and when your in France or where-ever take it to a doctor there and show him or hospital whatever!

I was bitten by a dog in Holland and we were going into Germany, the hospital in Holland told me I had to have checks for a couple of weeks to make sure it was healing alright! I just found a Doctor wherever we happened to be, I presented my Health card and 10Euro at one surgery and another was private so they charged me 20 Euro to look and change dressing. I never had any problem being understood so dont worry, its just your travel insurance that I would worry about! it isnt cheap when you have an ongoing health problem, but dont skimp its not worth it.

Guest JudgeMental

quote:

"Clinical trials tend to support self testing.The Lancet published a review of 14 studies of patients who self-monitored their warfarin use. Overall, people who went to a physician or anticoagulation clinic to measure their INR had more than twice as many thromboembolic events (such as stroke) as warfarin users who checked their own INR.

At-home INR monitors are similar to those used by people with diabetes. A patient pricks his or her finger with a tiny needle and places the blood on a test strip. The test strip is read by a tabletop monitor that displays the INR. The patient calls the doctor’s office with the INR, and, if necessary, the doctor adjusts the warfarin doses. The patient may be advised to cut warfarin tablets in half, or the doctor may call the pharmacy with a new prescription."

end quote:

so it seems that self monitoring is in fact probably safer. I test my blood 4 -6 times a day I am diabetic, there is nothing to it. you can then call the hospital/GP and they can adjust your medication once you give them the results - that is if out of range.....

Archived