Thank You Button

enodreven

Not sure I agree with 'thank you' buttons, on other forums they seem to be used to say 'I agree' as well as 'thank you'. They also seem to generate a bit of one-upmanship, with people competing to get more 'thank you' points.

Andy

Guest JudgeMental
Andy_C - 2010-01-06 5:03 PM

Not sure I agree with 'thank you' buttons, on other forums they seem to be used to say 'I agree' as well as 'thank you'. They also seem to generate a bit of one-upmanship, with people competing to get more 'thank you' points.

Andy

I used to thing the same way but have changed my mind...I now think they are a good idea and save you posting when all you really wanna do is agree with someone or thank them.....

You really need to ask the Warners chaps whether there are any plans in hand to revise or replace the present Out&AboutLive forums. If there are, then a "Thank You" button could be added to a wish-list of possible improvements to the current format. If (as seems likely) the present ramshackle format is to limp along unaltered for the foreseeable future, then there's little point suggesting minor changes.

I can't say that forum 'user statistics' thrill me much, though I can imagine it could be get entertaining if you had "Thank You" and "You're Talking Bo**ocks" buttons!!

During normal face to face conversation one does not necessary keep saying thanks, so why on here?

The object here is to pass factual details about a product or a readers question. When reading a book that indicates a collection of people passing information they don't keep saying 'thanks' to each other.

Keep life simple and just pass the message, that's all thats needed, if a personal note is really required then that's what the PM button is for.

Gutted it's not about Jenson!!

And why didn't he win sports person of the year?

From unemployed driver to World Champion in one year has to be worth a pot!

As for website improvements, we're always open to suggestions and have many exciting developments in the pipeline...

Peter R

What we really need is a "Thank You" button (and a "Sorry" one) fitted to vehicles, that would put the message in lights on the outside!

On the very rare occasions (!) I've done something stupid while driving :$ , I've wished there was a way to say "sorry," but horns, lights and gestures can all be taken the opposite way!

peterrosey - 2010-01-07 5:29 PM

As for website improvements, we're always open to suggestions and have many exciting developments in the pipeline...

Peter R

How about saying what these "exciting developments" are? There's not much point people being suggestive if their suggestions are already "in the pipeline".

peterrosey - 2010-01-07 5:29 PM

Gutted it's not about Jenson!!

And why didn't he win sports person of the year?

From unemployed driver to World Champion in one year has to be worth a pot!

Peter R

Its good to know some exciting new developments are on the way, will you ask for forum users input before theyare all executed ie. it would be so much better to have a easier way to put photos on eg. like the Saga forum just press a button and there they are.

I also think a thank you button is not a bad idea. Carol. :-)

It's evident that Out&AboutLive forum members also participate on many other forums. I vaguely remember asking (a long time ago) which motorhome-related forum people thought was 'best' and why. I didn't get any useful feedback then, but it might be worth re-visiting this on a more general basis.

If there's a forum you are familiar with that has favourite features (like Carol's reference to the photo-button on the Saga forum), then it would be handy to know about it.

I shan't be holding my breath for the "exciting developments" Peter mentions (The cheque's in the Post, and all that) as the current O&AL forum, although poorly designed from the outset, still manages to stagger along without too many complaints from its members and provides free magazine copy and valuable advertising revenue for its owners.

Basil - 2010-01-08 2:46 PM

Perhaps one 'exciting development' could be a search facility that works, now that would be novel!!

Bas

The present Search facility can be made to function after a fashion and I can usually find what I'm looking for if I try hard enough. The trouble is that the forum size has, for some while, been too large for 'general' searching, which is what most people probably want to do.

thought it was going to be about Jenson!

And I thought it would be about something on the van's dashboard, showing a message to the rear. 8=)

Mind you, the sign could probably be programmed to say other things. I'm sure people here could think of some possibilities.

Roger

Archived