new to this site

colleen57

new to this site  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi to everyone out there with a motor home we are just looking for a motorhome and just wondering if anyone can help because there are so many different types we no nothing about motorhomes.we keep reading magazines etc but we would like to no all about how things work on them like toilets showers etc.any knowlegde and information on anything would bevery much appreciated. *-)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not to put you off (as if that would be possible to anyone remotely interested in motorhoming!) but the whole issue of what type/model to buy and how everything works is not only massive but very personal to the individual.

But you are right to try and get some other people's views and experiences first as it can point out certain major pitfalls to avoid and how to go about structuring you own thoughts on what you want ultimately.

There are several threads on this site that have covered the various aspects if you do a search but I would also advise that a good book like the Haynes Motorhome Manual written by John Wickersham will give you much information on the issues of on-board facilities and how they work - it will be money well spent as, after you have purchased your first van, it will be a constant source of reference.

Have a look on this site:

http://www.vicarious-shop.com/product.php?productid=16&cat=13&page=1

Good luck with the research.

David

1. Go shopping for Motorhome related magazines. (Done)

2. When the weather improves visit agents who sell.

3. Go to vehicle or horse shows and LOOK at them.

4. If you see one you like, knock on the door and explain your interest.

5. Keep looking. Keep asking. Take all year. Monitor this forum & others.

6. Be wary of salesmen who's objective is to SELL.

7. And the most important. DO YOUR RESEARCH WELL. a mistake is costly.

8. Hire one first, it will provide with you some answers.

9. You have been warned!

If you post your home area you could be directed towards favourable sites.

Read all you can, especially this site, with regard to the Fiat Judder problems. My advise is to steer clear of the X250 Fiat until the problems are solved.

Make a wish list of what you want, length, panel van, coachbuilt, rear lounge, central lounge, overcab or not.

Be especially carefull on the number of belted seats that you will need, dont assume that a 4 berth will have four belts.

There is a John Wickersham book that will help guide you. Not sure of the exact title or issue no., but someone else will know.

Good luck and if you have any more questions then just ask, you will always get a reply

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

To get more informed and tailored advice, it would be useful to explain a little bit more about yourselves....By example are "we" a family or a couple, what age group - retired/semi retired or still wage slaves. interested in long extended European trips or UK only, winter and or summer, any preference for layouts yet, do you cycle - want to carry bikes etc...etc....

Basically what,where,when, and by whom.

Hi

We are also new to this site.

Been motorhoming for 8 years started in 2002 with Euramobil contura

then changed in dec 2007 to burstner solano 725 T. (but our mistake) .But we do love that island bed

Used vans as our accomadation while working selling sweets at shows during summer. Then winter in spain for 2-3 months for last 5 years.

Roll on14th jan on that train then long drive to spain ;-)

Steve

Guest JudgeMental

again welcome! :-D

I was going to say! As a Euramobil owner the Contura is a beautiful van. To expensive for me, but was hoping to get the similar low roof Terrestra if Fiat can get their act together...... but this is looking more and more unlikely *-)

We to would have liked another euramobil but as you say cost. they are far better built than our burstner. We are lucky though nearly 12000 miles no clutch judder not even reversing up hill with 1000kg trailer attached. 3ltr engine pulls like a train.

Steve

hi Colleen

Welcome to the madhouse. I noticed your initial enquiry went off track a bit. I am a relative newbie, well 3 years anyway and i found the best way to find out anything about motorhomes is from here and the books mentioned and a lot of visiting dealers and looking at the layouts, hundreds of them i am afaid, but unless you know how you are going to use the van, lounging, sleeping, how many beds, how easy are they to make up if not a fixed bed, can you climb into an overcab bed? Its all confusing i know, but you need to start with what you plan somewhere. Most layouts can be found online and then its just a matter of finding a dealer near you, thats not easy either, lots of different manufactures and not all will be close, so be prepared to travel a bit. Why not look at going to one of the motorhome shows.

Alan

Hi Collen,

We are on our second motorhome and the best bit of advice we took before buying our first one was:

to follow all the advice given about reading and visiting shows and then when you have decided on what you think you want - hire one for a week or two first.

Its almost certain that after a few days there will be things that drive you mad and that you just can't live with. Or if not then you know your initial choice was right and you can buy with confidence.

Good luck

aljen - 2010-01-07 10:56 AM

hi Colleen

Welcome to the madhouse. I noticed your initial enquiry went off track a bit. I am a relative newbie, well 3 years anyway and i found the best way to find out anything about motorhomes is from here and the books mentioned and a lot of visiting dealers and looking at the layouts, hundreds of them i am afaid, but unless you know how you are going to use the van, lounging, sleeping, how many beds, how easy are they to make up if not a fixed bed, can you climb into an overcab bed? Its all confusing i know, but you need to start with what you plan somewhere. Most layouts can be found online and then its just a matter of finding a dealer near you, thats not easy either, lots of different manufactures and not all will be close, so be prepared to travel a bit. Why not look at going to one of the motorhome shows.

Alan

Ahw aint that nice one a newbie says the best way apart from books to learn is from this site ...very nice :-D

Welcome Colleen.

Find all the dealers within reasonable distance, and go and pester the life out of them. Look at everything, ask questions about everything, make them demonstrate everything, on every van that might conceivably be right for you.

Because as well as finding out important stuff about the vans, which will help you to the right decision, and enjoying the whole experience of looking at them all, you'll also find out which dealers are really customer-focussed, and which are just out for a quick buck!

Unfortunately you have to find that out for yourself, as whenever anyone tries to give that information on here it gets pulled! (Sorry Mods, only joking, honest! :D )

Enjoy your quest, then enjoy your motorhome!

Tony

Not much help on your question as I impulse bought my Eldiss Autocirruss but want to say welcome and I am sure there are many lovely people on her who will give you advice.

Don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING no matter how simple it may be. It is amazing how when once you make a decision ENDLESS questions arise over some of the simplest things. As a simpleton of the first degree, believe me I know.

One of the best ways to learn from others mistakes is to go around not just the dealers' exhibitions at site shows but around the motorhome owners who will love to show you round and tell you the pros and cons of different layout.

Look forward to seeing you 'on the road'/ Joy

One word of advice Dont be pressurised into parting with a large deposit intill your sure that it is the right van for you :-S like Roon we bought on impulse we had travelled quite a way to view a van which wasnt right! then we looked at others at the same dealer, we saw this went off to see another I then rang to say we would have the Kontiki and was asked for a deposit over the phone!! :-S We spent a long time before we picked up the Van worrying that we had done the right thing! We have grown to love it and have added a lot to it BUT if we had looked around more we might have got something different! and not as big! its only two berth but is bigger than it needed to be and we could have got one with extra seats that would have enabled us to take grand-children with us! so make sure you know what you need and stick to it.

As I first step, I'd always suggest you visit a few motorhome shows - the NEC one is coming up in the second week of Feb.

You'll see massive amounts of vehicles in one place in the warmth.

I'd spend a couple of days there, as you'll probably get quite overwhelmed at first by the sheer diversity on offer.

I'd also suggest you hire a similar layout to the one you're interested in before you buy - it may influence your decision.

I've tested vehicles for years but only committed to buying one last year. Love it, one of the best decisions I made and my wife and son are equally enthusiastic.

Peter R

Just one more piece of advice to add at this stage.

If and when you do get to visit dealerships or motorhome shows don't be swayed by your first impression of a 'lovely' van interior. Even if it seems to tick many (never likely to be all) your boxes spend a little more time actually trying out some of the important bits. For instance, get in the bathroom, close the door and go through your morning routine and make sure you don't bang your head on the vanity unit or that you can move around comfortable.

Take your shoes off and try the bed - not just for comfort but for space and, if you like to read in bed or enjoy an early morning cuppa, that you can sit up without again banging your head on the overhead cupboards.

Stand at the kitchen and run through in your own mind where you would put everything and how you would manage with the surfaces area etc. Many motorhomes look really invitinf but you have to be able to live with it and need to be comfortable.

If you are thinking of a used vehicle possibly the best place to see many types/layouts in one place is one of the outdoor motorhome shows (the NEC show in February will be all new vehicles) and the locations of some can be seen on this site if you press the 'SHOWS' button at the top of the page. Not sure whereabouts you are in the country but one of the biggest is the National Motorhome Show at Peterborough in April.

It seems like a lot of work at the outset but for many of us it is half the fun too.

David

Much the same as the above advice but I would add, go in the van you think you like with out any sales people in it. Spend half a hour or more pretend its yours see what it feels like in the shower room/ kitchen if its a over cab bed lie in it for 15 mins see you are comfortable, its a lot of money your money you are spending don't let anyone sell you something you does not feel right for you. Carol.

Hello, when you have followed the good advice above check that the van you have chosen, or may choose has a large enough payload to carry what you want with you - This does not get mentioned by sales staff (IMO) because it it will not be as much as you think it will be...........

If it is not a new van, make sure that you have forward facing seats with seat belts for all!

Good hunting.

I think David and Peter have about all of it.  Try to get to the NEC, it is by far the best and most comfortable way to evaluate what is on offer.  Allow two days as Peter says.  Spend the first day looking at vans and collecting catalogues, and if you can, taking a few pictures of your own as reminders.  You'll get sore feet and a sore heads, and the whole lot will become a meaningless jumble in your minds five minutes after you leave - hence the need for the catalogues and the pictures.  Spend the evening trying to make sense of what you have seen.  Then go back and have a proper look at the ones you think may fit the bill.  Don't enter into any purchase agreements at the show, just take you time and make your shortlist.  Then come back on here and get us lot to dish the dirt!!! :-)

Archived