Snow Chains

mike 202

I have a rear wheel drive single wheel, 3500Kg Mk7 Transit coachbuilt and seek advice on snow chains.

Do I just fit them to the rear wheels or do I need to fit them to front wheels as well ?

Are there a recommended type that are easy to fit. They are only for occasional use and with safety in mind when I travel in europe in the winter months.

thanks Mike

You'd probably be better off with studded tyres. Snw chains are a complete pain to fit and have very low speed limit restrictions.

I been using mine today in fact. They were bought for the motorhome (15" wheels), but I tried them on the rear wheels of my 4x4 (16" wheels) and they fitted a treat. I've been travelling around the minor lanes in 8" to 10" of snow and encountered no problems at all.

That said, once you hit the treated roads, ie no snow, the ride is very uncomfortable and 15/20 mph is the maximum speed you can drive at. Driving on treated roads does the chains no good to boot.

There is a bit of a knack to fitting them....Practice makes perfect ! I'll keep them in the back of the car though until the weather picks up

The chains should be fitted to the drive wheels, rear in your case.

Minstrel - 2010-01-06 11:37 PM

My son bought some snow socks (can be found many places, try Leisuremarket just to look. He followed someone this morning who slid sideways down a hill, he had no trouble at all. Can be used on snow and ice free roads up to 30mph.

I don't think these are acceptable where snow chains are a legal requirement in some countries in mainland Europe.

Andy

Mike,

if you are front wheel drive, fit them on the front,if rear wheel drive on the rear (but a second set on the 'non-driven' front wheels will make steering more positive.) .

If this weather lasts for much longer I think a set of snow chains will be a 'must have' for everyone.

As an aside, i think that the 'modern' way of teaching people to drive is not helping the chaos on the roads in the snow. We (over 50's) were taught to drive using the gearbox to slow the vehicle down, indeed my instructor made me drive all around the town without using my brakes at all ! (only in an emergency he said !) It has held me in good stead for all of my driving life so far (47 years). Everywhere, people are hard accelerating in low gears,and hard braking and therefore sliding all over the place even into ditches. What idiot decided to make such a strong reliance on our brakes ?? Ray *-)

When I was taught to drive I was told to keep your nerve and do everything slowly in snow or ice I was a lorry driver for 25 years it made my hair stand on end at times but that advice has got me out of trouble a few times mind you look and see who are the worst culprits (Vauxhall drivers) they think they are on the ice with Torvil and Dean.

Mike (lol)

peter - 2010-01-06 10:19 PM

You'd probably be better off with studded tyres. Snw chains are a complete pain to fit and have very low speed limit restrictions.

I don’t know about you but don’t studded tyres need fitting onto rims & then the rims fitting onto the van

In my experience fitting snow chains would take say 10 mins & fitting studded tires (that would be no good on normal road would take about 1 hour & a fully fitted garage

The Europeans seem to have 2 sets of tyres one for summer & a winter set on normal rims that are made from a different compound of rubber with a slightly different tread pattern The Europeans French German seem to travel at 60 to 70 mph in all but the worst weather conditions on these tyres

Having driven in bad conditions when we go skiing I purchased a set of winter tyres & rims (these take a bit of finding in England but are available)for my car However now the car is gone I have a set of winter tyres & rims in the garage

So a small box containing the chains is better to store

If you don’t want to fit chains how about spikes spiders They are fitted to a rim that you fit onto the outside of your existing rims & then clip the spike units on and off easily

I just carry a set of chains take about 3 mins to fit on the car & 8 mins on the van

Then the van can get through just about anything when they are fitted

I have found the best place to get them is Carrefour or super U in France when you are travelling in France I purchased a pair last week for the van& a pair for my car for 18 Euros each Just buy them & pop them in the boot for next time it snows They are 9mm or 12mm thk chains depending on the vehicle they are fitting onto

This is not the answer, but it may help.

I always have one of the small reels of Blue Nylon Cord ( 8-10mm) in the van, thread the cord through the spokes on both the driving wheels. 'DO NOT THREAD WHERE THE VALVE IS' What it should look like is a bit like a spiders web, This also works on wet grass ect.

This is only a 'get out of jail tip.' Do not drive on treated roads, as soon as you are free cut the cord off or it will rapidly shred and flay off and may injure some one or damage your van, it could and probable would wrap around your brake pipes so you must take absolute care when attempting this.

I think it goes without saying to use minimum revs and highest gear possible. This is only a tip and should be treated as such and i will not be held responsible for any damage or injuries that may occur by it if used.

Another tip 'always carry a shovel in this weather.' ;-)

Dave 

Guest JudgeMental
I fink FWD Ford trasits cant take chains as tyres to wide. So either change to narrower tyres and chains or use something like spike spiders etc.....

I may be stupid but I thought you were not actually supposed to drive on snow chains using only to get you out of a hole so to speak.

I am not sure if people are suggesting they drive on the roads with them in cold places or for use only in actual snow .

Our snow chains were from Konig good site ease of delivery fast serviec

we only used when we got to the foot of the campsite on the snow and stuck rigid up the Alps .

michele - 2010-01-07 1:58 PM

I may be stupid but I thought you were not actually supposed to drive on snow chains using only to get you out of a hole so to speak.

I am not sure if people are suggesting they drive on the roads with them in cold places or for use only in actual snow .

Our snow chains were from Konig good site ease of delivery fast serviec

we only used when we got to the foot of the campsite on the snow and stuck rigid up the Alps .

Nice to see you back Michelle.WE've missed you terribly. :D

Generaly on the Continent there will bve signs on the roadside when chains should be fitted, usualy this is only when there is snow on the road they must be removed when you come off snow.

In Switzerland winter tyres must be fitted (I think Oct and not removed until March) winter tyres are mad of a softer compound, the tread pattern is not that mush different than some of our tread patterns. WShen we were over last year I chaked the pattern against the tyres on our car there was not much difference at all. We drove in lots of snow without chains as we were on mostly low level roads we did not experience any problems.

Drive sensibly use your gears for braking as we were taught back in the early sixties.

Take care out there and enjoy the experience of driving in snow.

mike 202 - 2010-01-07 10:03 AM

Minstrel found the site thanks.

http://www.leisuremarket.co.uk/snow-sock/13-wheel/brand-new-multi-grip-snow-sock-kit-79-chains-/prod_1871.html

Andy thanks for legal advise - will try to look up rules to clarify, but I am sure that you are correct.

Do I need the chains for rear wheels only or all 4 wheels ???

Mike

I was under the impression that the "Snow Sock" product was likely to be unsuitable for motorhomes and the tyre sizes quoted on the leisuremarket website seem to confirm this.

An alternative product employing a similar concept is shown on:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Michelin sell a composite steel and plastic snow chain, easier to install, which they say is approved for use in areas of Europe where chains are mandatory.

Google "Michelin composite snow chain". They say all four wheels for camper vans so £200+!

Lots of other fabric snow chains but probably only to get you out of trouble.

Regrads,

Andy.

Dunno Judge,

On their website, www.easy-grip.eu/docs/notices/easygripAN.pdf they say;

"Use on cars

- Install on the driving wheels of the vehicle.

Use on 4x4 and SUV

- Install on all 4 wheels (or on the driving wheels for short distances)

- Maximum speed 40km/h.

Use on camping cars and vans

- Install on all 4 wheels only.

- Do not fit on vehicles with double wheels.

- Maximum speed 40km/h."

Interesting video at "Siepa Fabric snow for SUV" on YouTube.

Archived