lake maggiore italy

pagey

I don't know about tollfree routes but avoid the mont blanc tunnel I went through in 2008 and it cost nearly £42.00 in real money and when the teller asked if I wanted to return I nearly fell off the seat laughing needless to say I came back a different route. The other unfortunate thing was that we were not made very welcome in Italy that year and do not intend to return. I hope you find it different as we have had good holidays there in the past. B-)

teflon2 - 2010-01-07 9:17 PM

I don't know about tollfree routes but avoid the mont blanc tunnel I went through in 2008 and it cost nearly £42.00 in real money and when the teller asked if I wanted to return I nearly fell off the seat laughing needless to say I came back a different route. The other unfortunate thing was that we were not made very welcome in Italy that year and do not intend to return. I hope you find it different as we have had good holidays there in the past. B-)

The Tunnel de Frejus is pretty expensive as well. Surprised at you comment about Italy as we have always found it lovely to visit. How were you not made welcome?

David

Guest JudgeMental

we have stopped at Maggiore for a few nights over the last 3 years on our way to Lake Garda. the North and west side are far more developed and popular, sites difficult to get on high season without pre booking. You will be fine in May. The East Coast is less developed and where we tend to stay on route......

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17202&posts=4

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12300&posts=11

thanks judge just what i was looking for we are going on 3x10 day trip with the cc north wales region rally, the sites are pre booked taking out the need to find them. but will travel there and back on our own regards ken

Hi David in reply to your question we were turned away from first site nothwest edge of Maggiore thats never happened before and there was room. Nearest site to that we were put on pitch was tiny and the German motorhomers were not happy that they had to move their 1.2meter dish off our pich (not site managers fault but not condusive to happy camping) nex site in Massa a town we had good memories of were only interested in our money. We were relieved to get in to France which was totaly the reverse wherever we stayed they couln't have been more helpful. I don't wish to put anyone off but you did ask. John :-(

hi,

We went down last year through switzerland ( not as problematic as you might think) Right here we go. calais through to Namur by way of Lille to Namur then down to Luxembourg. There is a good Aire at Dudelage just south of Luxembourg which is free and 210 miles from Calais. Theback into france by way of Metz and Nancy then to St die then colmar to basel. Pay 38euros for a vignette for the swiss motorways which is valid for a year or 10 days whichever is the sooner and onto Lucerne and the st Gotthard tunnel. this will bring you into Northern Italy. Take the road to Locarno and then down to Verbania on the Eastern side of Largo Maggiore. There is a motorhome stop here or if you get the ACSI book there is a great site for 15euros a night at Fabiolo. You will remember this for ever. then Northern Italy is your oyster. However, aires are expensive, and ACSI will give you much better overnight stops for just a few euros more at this time of year

\this is a FREE route except for the swiss section but you will not have to pay for the St Gotthard tunnel. So the total is 38 euros

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate. go for it

Ned

I would second Ned's route, we used it last year but rather dawdled along as we had 6 weeks to go at. We overnighted at Gravelines near calais then an aire near Pont a Mousson, a campsite in Altdorf. Then over the ST Gotthard by the old road to Melano to relax by the lake before meandering across northern italy to Garda for a few nights before meeting friends near castel franco (near Venice). In June we only had a problem in a very popular site in Peschierra which was full in June.

cheers alan

PS on the "european" sites in Italy we've always had a very good welcome in Italy but sometimes when we've only wanted 1, 2 or 3 nights our welcome on very Italian sites hasn't always been good in high season.

Guest JudgeMental
Italians or French? give me Italians anytime, genuine and outgoing...we have two lads from the entertainment team at Forenella campsite, Lake Garda staying with us this week, one a life guard, the other children's club entertainer. Both students, late teens and friends of my teenagers and an absolute breath of fresh air! Plus Italian food is superb :-D

Guest JudgeMental
If you get a frosty reception from an Italian it is probably because of your lack of dress sense:-D ......Any self respecting Italian will not be seen dead in a baseball hat, shell suit, short sleeved Hawaiian shirt or shorts that do not cover the knee *-) The first thing they will judge you on are the quality of your shoes and next your expresso :D

We wern't going for the shortest route.Free autoroute belgium germany innsbruck about ten euros for vignet (pass) lasts two weeks over bremner pass small toll fee down east side of lake garda then towards maggori.sorry its not in detail takes me ages to type.

Hi Pagey,

We actually used the motorways for getting from centre to centre as they were relatively cheap. We didn't find the quality of driving as bad as I had been led to believe. In fact I quite like the way that the lanes on the motorways, especially around towns, are demarcated by vehicle type and speed restrictions. The exits are quite quick to see the signs as they are close to the slip roads. We really loved Italy and as scooter people we fitted in quite well. Personally, we wouldn't go to Spain again as the Spanish seem quite brusque and money grabbing. The italians are much more laid-back and welcoming.

We are going back for 6 weeks again at the beginning of May.

Have a good time.................Ned

Anyone visiting this lake should take a mask and snorkel.

Apparently divers have just lifted a 1925 Buggatti from the bottom. A tax inspector pushed the car into the lake in 1930 after waiting in vain for the import duty to be paid.

I gather its not in bad shape considering the time its spent underwater.

Archived