St Jean de Luz

Irish Mike

Hi ya,

Anyone have an opinion/comment on the campsite Itsas Mendi 3 star St jean de luz Near Biarritz?. Looks good on the net, all we require. Says 4 kms from town. Do you know is it a safe paved walk with youg children?

Thinking of including a stay there for some time in July. Value you thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike

kelly58 - 2010-01-08 4:20 PM

We stopped at the Aire which is next to railway station so a bit noisey but the town and beach are fantastic a really nice place , but cannot comment on the camp site

I've stayed overnight on this Aire, which gets very crowded and is more than a bit noisy I found. Being within a couple of metres of the station platform with trains running all night, it was very noisy! But the town and beaches are very good, I will admit.

We visited St Jean de Luz in September, when we were staying on a great size nearby at Bidart. Exc bus into St J only a few mnins walk from the site, also to Biarritz and Bayonne. We thought Bidart old town/ville really lovely and quaint.

We did see the Aire by the Railway statioon, which if you could get in, may be Ok for overnight, but was full all the time we were there, and sitauted between main road and main railway line! We also noticed there was a camping site just back from the seafront..on the left of main road before you get to Railway station - sorry can't remember name, but no doubt the tourist office will tell you. Great location if you ant to stay ay St J centrally.

Might also be an idea to post the enqiry on the 'sites' Forum, as there were a lot of Uk caravanners in the area?

Guest Tracker
kelly58 - 2010-01-08 4:20 PM

We stopped at the Aire which is next to railway station so a bit noisey but the town and beach are fantastic a really nice place , but cannot comment on the camp site

We found the trains to be very quiet and we were hardly aware of them at this Aire!

However don't rely on it for water as the tap was frozen up when we were there!

Then again it is FREE!

Personally I think the station aire slots are only for up to about 7metres, anymore and your hanging out into the roadway and blocking access to the car parking slots on the otherside of this narrow aire/carpark, there is one bigger one by the side of the bourne.

You can park in the carpark on the otherside of the road at weekends, or overnight only during the week, by taking up two slots lengthwise we fitted in easily.

Another campsite is Juantcho http://www.camping-juantcho.com/camping_gb.html this is on the headland to the south GPS: 43.393475,-1.693327 know nothing about, just saw it as I was browsing.

Olley

hymer1942 - 2010-01-09 7:44 PM

Thanks for that will go elswhere, leaving on the 30th.

If you're coming down the N10 you could try the Aire at Ondres which is nice, or the Aire (much closer to St Jean) at Hendaye, again this is next to a railway station, but we've found it quiet and its certainly bigger than St Jean. Biarritz has a large aire and charges, the others when I used them were free.

I really like St Jean and have not been really bothered by the trains. The tannoy seems to stop at 10.30ish and the trains are certainly fewer, with the occasional non-stop express TGV in your dreams! Straight back onto the N10 and Spain!!

Archived