Motorhome log book/diary

Yeoman

I was wondering whether anyone else ever keeps a diary of their travels? We used to have a boat, and always wrote up the log.

When we got a motorhome in 1997 we started to keep a log. Then it evolved into a diary. Now I have typed it all up from the hand written notebooks, and made a book of it.

Well good for you, you obviously have a lot of time on your hands. Seriously, diaries are an excellent way, certainly for me to remember where the hell I've been! except I don't have the time or the inclination to type them up. The social secretary writes in the touchy feely bits, I just do places, prices, mileage etc.

For sure past diaries take up space and are a bit like photo albums, you have them and only very occasionally look at them, but they can make you smile.

I started a spreadsheet to include site name/dates/mileage/comments etc at the beginning of my caravanning adventures, initially to keep a tab on my towing miles.

Since becoming a MH'er, I have continued the tradition and although the MH has an odometer, it's interesting to continue both the 'yearly' and 'total' holiday mileages.

It's nice to be able to look back at the sites that were exeptional or were not up to scratch or the weather was out of the ordinary and it only takes a few minutes of effort to update each trip.

It's certainly something I intend to keep up if I ever get the MH through the snowfield that currently covers my lawn :-S

Guest JudgeMental
There is a small town in the Alsace region we passed through and I never got around to making a note of it........drives me mad, as it looked lovely and worth a future visit :-S

For many years I kept a 'paper' log book covering mileage, fuel costs, sites used etc. This ran from 1993,and ultimately I transferred it to a computerised database. Wilst I still initially use the paper version,(pages in a filofx duly amended,plus the diary pages) I then update the computer rregularly, and amend/add as necessary to show holiday mileages etc.

It does make for very interesting reading and comparisons year by year.

It also helps when trying to work out where photos are taken,although I really should try to remember each day to put in the places we just stop off at,as these are so many I find often can't place exactly what the place was called. If I can find one,however,I often take a photo of the place name or signpost - at least that gives me a lead when I come to editing the photos.!

I've recently started using a program called 'The Journal' to document trips / places etc.

Still finding my way round the program and how best to tweak for the way I want to use it but it looks ideal to document almost anything and a bonus is you can add photos.

Steve

I've been keeping a journal for years, it has proved extremely useful for:

1) reminding us of what we got up to - it's very easy to forget some of it!

2) making notes of how long it took to get to places

3) what the places were like

4) where we stopped for the night and what the aires and campsites were like

5) identifying places in photos

6) wonderful to look back through when planning a visit to a similar area to ensure that 'duplicate' visits aren't made or more importantly, that you know where a good place is to go back to.

Every now and then I type them up and it's really nice to be able to recall a lovely holiday.

We have kept a diary from the start of our adventures in 2003 and now use Microsoft Publisher to add photos and find looking back fascinating. We include where we have been, site details, costs, distances, where we eat, supermarkets, fuel stations,ferry costs, tolls, what we visit, van problems, servicing costs and people we meet. It doesnt take long to do and we end up with about 100 pages a year. Also add in important sporting and political events and anecdotes.

Like Dear Grim Reaper,

In 2009 you took away my favourite dancer, Michael Jackson; my favourite actor, Patrick Swayze; my favourite singer, Stephen Gately, and my favourite actress, Farah Fawcett.

Just so you know, my favourite politician is Gordon Brown.

Regards.

We are now looking forward to getting going in 2010.

Archived