Where to go in Scotland please?

dogmad

I have a special birthday coming up (50) and we're planning to visit Scotland. It's about the only place in Britain we haven't been and I've always wanted to go there.

The problem is, we only have 8 days to spare and realise we have to pick a region to tour as Scotland is too big to cover in that time. Please could someone come up with some suggestions (we like lakes and mountains but not big cities as we have 2 dogs)?

Thank you,

Carol

dogmad - 2010-01-09 1:46 PM

I have a special birthday coming up (50) and we're planning to visit Scotland. It's about the only place in Britain we haven't been and I've always wanted to go there.

The problem is, we only have 8 days to spare and realise we have to pick a region to tour as Scotland is too big to cover in that time. Please could someone come up with some suggestions (we like lakes and mountains but not big cities as we have 2 dogs)?

Thank you,

Carol

My recommendation would be west coast, and the further north the better,although I'm afraid that eight days isn't really long enough to do it all justice.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I know 8 days isn't really enough but unfortunately lack of leave from work dictates. We can't wait for retirement but then could we afford to keep a motorhome - probably will sell the house!

Guest Tracker

Another 'how long is a piece of string' question!

A lot depends on whether you like driving in which case you could easily go all the way up one side, across the top and down t'other in 8 days - about 2000 or so miles round trip at a guess.

If you prefer leisurely site sitting and local touring simply pick an area and a site that suits within a comfortable range from home and have days out within that area.

Or just head off and see where the road takes you - stopping when you feel like it and touring when you feel like it - or when it is too wet or too midgie to do owt else!

Tracker's suggestions are good but really it is up to you.

Think about WHY YOU want to go to Scotland and what has made you think you'd like to visit. It is then likely that you have some places and views in mind. ( A possible downside of asking people to come up with suggestions is that their/our ideas may not be what YOU have 'always' wanted to see.)

Then look at a good road atlas so you can see where those places are.

Then look at a good guide book and/or web sites for more information.

The Scottish tourist board will provide you with some basic but well illustrated free guides to areas you think you'd like to visit.

Next look at some campsite guides. Both Clubs have sites in stunning places and there are some good commercial sites and CL/CS sites and also opportunities for 'wild camping'.

THEN decide where YOU want to go and go and enjoy.

All the best.

You don't say when you're planning on going. Places that are serenely quiet out of season can become uncomfortably busy at other times.

If you can get away outside those times, then I'd agree with the suggestion of Dumfries and Galloway. You won't have to spend so long getting there and it's full of emptiness [g] and some lovely scenery.

To help you choose, I recommend the Undiscovered Scotland Web site -- http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ . It's well organized and informative and doesn't faff about with Flash and other distractions.

Roger

Up the A9 to Inverness, taking detours as your time permits - the Grampians are lovely. Across to Fort William, and down to Oban and the Cowal peninsula (depending on whether you are out during the midge peak). If you go the other way round, you can nip back through Fife and down the A7 from Edinburgh - marvellous scenery to wean you off the mountains.

An alternative to Fort William is Ullapool, many consider the A835 to have the best scenery. From Ullapool, you could drive down through Kinlochewe, Kyle of Lochalsh.

Both a lot of driving but worth it if the dogs travel well.

Dumfries & Galloway is a great area and not too far away. Argyle and the Cowal are beautiful.

Whatever you decide, bear in mind that if you base yourself in one place, you may still have to do a lot of mileage - often over the same roads - simply because there are not many roads in Scotland once you leave the industrial centres. Callender is a good exception and makes a good base.

Fuel's more expensive but we find mpg improves. If you have than one driver, consider travelling overnight to get there and back and changing drivers mid-way.

Hi,

We used to go straight up to the Highlands when we first started visiting Scotland many years ago,much to our detriment, we had an occasion to go to Stranraer for a ferry to Ireland,and Passing along the A75 realised what really nice area it was and at that time not too long a time traveling from Cheshire, so on our trip back from Ireland decided we would explore the Southwest of Scotland a bit more and were glad we did we kept coming back year after year, so we dicided to move here, which we did, The People are really friendly ,the area is Beautiful even when under snow, well worth visiting, this may help you when you decide where your bound, http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

John.N - 2010-01-10 12:12 PM

The far north-west is the best in my opinion, BUT be prepared for the voracious midges (worse after June) and the probability of bad weather (cold and very wet and windy). However, when the sun shines it's heavenly.

I have just realised that you have only 8 days - not enough time to do the north-west justice. Save it for another holiday and stick to the south-west this time.

Many thanks for all the replies. I think due to the lack of time we'll probably go to Dumfries & Galloway which was suggested by a few of you, maybe staying on 2 or 3 sites (I've seen one I like the look of already). We're going in March when I know there won't be that many sites open, so I'll have to plan ahead and find some before we go - gives me something to look forward to anyway!

dogmad - 2010-01-10 2:56 PM

Many thanks for all the replies. I think due to the lack of time we'll probably go to Dumfries & Galloway which was suggested by a few of you, maybe staying on 2 or 3 sites (I've seen one I like the look of already). We're going in March when I know there won't be that many sites open, so I'll have to plan ahead and find some before we go - gives me something to look forward to anyway!

Well - have a good trip - wherever you end up !

;-)

dogmad - 2010-01-10 2:56 PM

Do have a look at this site and browse the info and photos before making the final decision, you have 8 days which is plenty to see a lot more further North where some of the scenery is stunning. Save staying in the South for when you have 5 days or less. Whatever you decide though you will have a great time, but you did say you like lakes and mountains.

http://www.visitscotland.com

Do bear in mind that midges can be a problem which is why May is one of the best months to go and one of the most popular. We went for five weeks last year (yes we are retired) and every Caravan Club site we stayed on was fully booked so make your mind up and book early. Do also bear in mind that in many parts filling stations can be very far apart so keep your fuel tank well toped up. The same applies to shops. On one site the nearist supermarket was 36 miles away! I have attached a file with brief notes on all the club sites we visit. Some are in Scotland which may help.

Caravan Club Sites.doc

Dogmad, I hope that you do visit Galloway, it's a lovely area. A couple of suggestions for you;

Glen Trool forest park is spectacular and has lots of good walks for the dogs.

There is a private brewery on the main street in Castle Douglas, the beer is very very good.

The best meal to be had in the area is the Masonic Arms in Gatehouse of Fleet.

Enjoy

If you want mountains and lochs..then try the trossachs just north of Stirling...plenty of sites around and easy travelling distance to almost anywhere except the far north. You can easy drive from Callendar up to Glencoe and back down via Oban in a day or take a couple of days to really appreciate the scenery. I would advise a must is to drive through Glencoe it is never the same drive as the scenery changes with the light conditions and of course the weather.

That is my opinion as this is my home area so maybe Im biased.

Any more info needed just ask.

cheers

Seems to be a south west Scotland bias her so how about up M6 & M74 to Moffat site. Nice shops here; woolen mill, Tweed shops, Boating pond, bakers,dog walking,lounge bars,etc. Then head down Dumfries way.

Can recommend Garlieston site for its dog walks and harbour fishing.

If you want to go Edinburgh way, head again for Moffat then carry on down A701 via Devils beef, Tweedsmuir, Broughton (brewery here), Leanburn, Penicuik to Edinburgh City bypass. Very scenic route down Tweed valley via pine forrests and steaming Beef Tub.

Gordon...

You can wildcamp at New Abbey, Dumfriesshire and have a meal in the Criffell Inn (the owners are M/homers) then carry on to Garlieston (nice site and place). If you have dogs, then you have the beaches and coastal dog walk. We were there in October and it was shirt sleeve weather. I cannot guarantee that now though. Another site in that area is Drum Mohr (I think that`s right but my memory is not 100% anymore)

Archived