Salt anyone?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Let me see if I have got this right?

A well known expert on 'just getting on with the job' advises us all that the government will see to it that there is plenty of rock salt for gritting and de-icing the roads so there is no need to worry.

A less well known expert from the rock salt and grit producers says that they are unable to produce enough to meet demand and the authorities should have stock piled more before the big freeze?

Who should we believe please?

Am I right in thinking that years ago they used to mix sand/grit with salt for the roads. If they did it today the salt would go further. When they show the salt being loaded into the gritters for the road today it appears to be pure salt.

Its interesting that when the country had fleets of Trawlers they used to mix salt with the Ice that they put in the holds to help freeze the fish.

Back in the 50s my Father was in charge of a local council depot they only used grit on the roads and the manual workers were out in the town clearing the pavements etc with shovels it was then carted away by their lorries and dustcarts.

davenewell@home - 2010-01-10 10:04 AM

I've just walked our dog and on two separate local roads where salt bins have been provided for years many of the residents have used it to clear their drives and nobody has put any on the roads! Somehow I don't quite think that was why the bins were provided :'( .

D.

... and when they run out, they'll blame the government.

Have been out all day so just finished reading the papers. A report says that motorists that have had to abandon their vehicles on Bluebell Hill in Kent because of the conditions, have had them lifted and put into storage on Police orders because they hindered the gritting wagons, £150 to get them released. Knowing the hill fairly well and the weather warnings given well in advance I would have thought the gritting waggons would have been out salting the road before any vehicles got stuck.

Around here where I live, just before this harsh weather came. Lancashire county Council in their wisdom lifted all the grit boxes and took them away, even around the old peoples housing. Some still had salt in them from last year, after the uproar they put them back (empty) and they haven't been filled since, all in the excuse of saving money. I wonder how much it cost to pay a team or teams of workers to lift them, and then put them back, and i also wonder how many people have been hurt by these stupid actions. >:-(

I also have to wonder if their ( County Councilors) own nearest salt box was removed 

It was also reported that the world is getting cooler not warmer. Well I can belive that!! *-)

Dave   

nowtelse2do - 2010-01-10 4:20 PM

Around here where I live, just before this harsh weather came. Lancashire county Council in their wisdom lifted all the grit boxes and took them away, even around the old peoples housing. Some still had salt in them from last year, after the uproar they put them back (empty) and they haven't been filled since, all in the excuse of saving money. I wonder how much it cost to pay a team or teams of workers to lift them, and then put them back, and i also wonder how many people have been hurt by these stupid actions.

..but they've saved a small fortune in litigation claims. By supplying grit, they would probably be held to blame for any subsequent accidents caused by the icy conditions.

I blame the Americans.

davenewell@home - 2010-01-10 10:04 AM

I've just walked our dog and on two separate local roads where salt bins have been provided for years many of the residents have used it to clear their drives and nobody has put any on the roads! Somehow I don't quite think that was why the bins were provided :'( .

D.

The worst offender near here is the (new) guy in a £1.5 million-plus house who has been seen emptying the bin into a wheelbarrow and heavily covering his driveway so he can get onto the level road outside his gate. The one and only bin is left empty and there is none for the blind bend and 1 in 8 hill immediately beyond his house. For 18 years I have got up well before dawn and gritted the bend and hill at each snowfall/black ice event for the benefit of all the road's users but this year the bin was empty so I and all my near neighbours have been unable to use our cars for over a week.

We're furious but there is insufficient proof to do anything in law.

Bob >:-)

Much the same here, and apart from the odd exception it's a 'i,m all right jack' attitude and tough luck for others who may need it more. Did,nt realise just how many of these bins were around until you go looking for them. Always been the odd one or two, but now seem to be everywhere. Not sure if this is down to 'costcutting' by the local council, who no doubt will still be charging us for the privilege of gritting our own roads, but do come in handy for those of us who live off the beaten track and never see a gritting lorry from one year to the next.

Guest Tracker
Usinmyknaus - 2010-01-12 10:26 AM

The worst offender near here is the (new) guy in a £1.5 million-plus house who has been seen emptying the bin into a wheelbarrow and heavily covering his driveway so he can get onto the level road outside his gate. The one and only bin is left empty and there is none for the blind bend and 1 in 8 hill immediately beyond his house. For 18 years I have got up well before dawn and gritted the bend and hill at each snowfall/black ice event for the benefit of all the road's users but this year the bin was empty so I and all my near neighbours have been unable to use our cars for over a week.

We're furious but there is insufficient proof to do anything in law.

Bob >:-)

Oh I don't know about that?

A few well poured buckets of water after dark might produce an interesting result on his drive!

Archived