I H 500

omar

I think the 'IH' he is talking about is Ian Hartley rather than International Havesters, nevertheless if International Havesters ever make a Motorhome I would take a look ( soggy pitches.....NO problem) could you imagine the look on the C& CC 'Site Managers' face if you rolled up with a tracked motorhome !!!! it's OK mate it won't Ruin your'e Luvverly Grass.

Much! I am told Ian Hartley puts together a good Campervan too.

Ray

Mike88 - 2010-01-10 11:03 PM

...but I doubt whether you will find too many people who own them as they are such a small manufacturer.

It's more likely to be the price that will put people off, but that's an inevitable penalty for exclusivity and craftsmanship. No good for me, though, as I'm a cheapskate!

There was an 8-page IH Motor Campers J500 report in MMM May 2009 (pages 122-129).

omar - 2010-01-10 1:58 PM

Any owners out there would like to have your thoughts on the above model :

Hi omar

Don't have the J500 model but we are just on our thrid IH panel van (Tio RL) and can confirm that the build quality and customer service of the company is first rate.

I have been inside the J500 and it is a very comfortable, practical layout. If we were in the market for a low profile again this would certainly be top our list. When it first came out it was also MMM Motorhome of the Year I believe.

Not sure if you are thinking of buying new - if so then you may find them more expensive than some but, on the other hand, there are others as expensive but without the same level of quality and design features. Another advantage is that, unlike 'mass' produced motorhomes, you can 'tweak' the design and layout (within reason) to suit. For example, we took the TV cupboard arrangement from the J500 and had it in place of the standard design in the Tio RL.

If buying second hand, IH models hold there price well but you will be getting a better deal perhaps as the original owner will take the big hit in depreciation. Even if you don't buy new but wish to have something done to the van like new cushion/worktop etc., maintenance/habitation or warranty work you will receive the same high standard of customer care and attention.

Good luck with the search.

David

david lloyd - 2010-01-11 1:07 PM

omar - 2010-01-10 1:58 PM

Any owners out there would like to have your thoughts on the above model :

Hi omar

Don't have the J500 model but we are just on our thrid IH panel van (Tio RL) and can confirm that the build quality and customer service of the company is first rate.

I have been inside the J500 and it is a very comfortable, practical layout. If we were in the market for a low profile again this would certainly be top our list. When it first came out it was also MMM Motorhome of the Year I believe.

Not sure if you are thinking of buying new - if so then you may find them more expensive than some but, on the other hand, there are others as expensive but without the same level of quality and design features. Another advantage is that, unlike 'mass' produced motorhomes, you can 'tweak' the design and layout (within reason) to suit. For example, we took the TV cupboard arrangement from the J500 and had it in place of the standard design in the Tio RL.

If buying second hand, IH models hold there price well but you will be getting a better deal perhaps as the original owner will take the big hit in depreciation. Even if you don't buy new but wish to have something done to the van like new cushion/worktop etc., maintenance/habitation or warranty work you will receive the same high standard of customer care and attention.

Good luck with the search.

David

You are right it was MMM Motorhome of the Year. As always its subjective, My wife and I sat in it and both of us agreed that the tub chair and settee was uncomfortable. We couldn't see how it was van of the year, but there you go.

We had a IH Tio which was good but not brilliant, there were a number of details I could bore you with that were cheap and badly chosen. The s/h trade in price we got was fair, but again not brilliant. I don't think they have a particularly high residule value.

The service we got from IH was good but, thats right not brilliant. Don't try and contact them when a show is coming up for advice on faults etc, they just don't seem to have the time to deal properly with your queries, short staffed I guess.

Would I buy a new one? no, too expensive for what they are. Secondhand? probably, but only privately.

These vehicle are pitched at a certain type of customer who likes the perceived luxury. There are in my view better, more practical vans out there for the money, but IH are probably in the top 5 manufacturers.

Whilst I appreciate that IH may build quality vans, I'm not a big fan. The cupboard doors are 'old hat' in the way that they are designed and made especially the drawer fronts, and I simply cannot stand all the 'logos' everywhere - to me it reminds me of some of the American gin palaces. The leather cab seats look like they used giant bars of Dairy Milk chocolate (steady girls .....!). I don't like the 'overhangs' above the cupboards, it makes it very 'oppressive' in my view.

We spent last (2008/2009) New year in the first prototype with a few other hacks. Nice van but some concern about the step down into the washroom and that big water rose in the middle of the ceiling hit my head. Thankfully it was turned off.

C.

We once met a couple who had bought a new IH camper van and I had to go into it to sort his electrics out, I was concerned at the standard of the so called wiring looms. This was brand new straight from the factory, I managed to get power to his electrics but was far from happy. I met them again and they told me that they were far from happy with the after sales service and was on their back to the factory and were leaving it with them until the faults were sorted out. His wife was following him in their car, they had had enough of being fobbed off. Those camper vans are very expensive to buy and you should expect to have good after sales support. What didn't help was the fact that they lived on the south coast, many miles from the factory.

Archived