turbo boost

pamal

Can anybody help me re-garding the turbotune dt plug indiesel power upgrade.I am new to motorhome touring as I have been a keen caravaner .My motorhome is a bessacar 2006 year with a 2.8 turbo fiat engine and I wish to get more mpg plus better torque for my vehicle. I am very interested in this turbo chip so if any one has used this model could they reply MANY THANKS

I fitted the Van Aaken Smartbox to my motorhome (2.3 jtd) 3 years ago. The vehicle certainly has more oomph, I couldn't tell you the difference in MPG as I never checked it before or since.

As I tow a motorcycle trailer, the main reason for fitting the kit was to avoid having to drop a gear on approaching a hill.  On motorways and dual carriageways I flick the cruise control on at 60 MPH and relax !

Hi Pamal and welcome to the mad house. :-D

Out of interest, what top speed are you getting? There's a problem with sticking waste gates on turbos if the vehicle isn't used much which may be part of a problelm if you're not getting a good speed.

pamal

All of these 'tuning' devices will do what they claim and, if you drive your motorhome so that its engine's increased torque and bhp allow you to utilise higher gears more comfortably than before, you should expect improved mpg. Of course, if you use the extra power to go significantly faster, you'll be back to Square One (though you will reach your destination quicker!)

Before committing to purchasing any tuning module (or 'chip' or tuning 'download') it would be sensible to contact your insurance supplier, as some companies take a dim view of vehicle performance-upgrading.

A friend of mine had his 2006 Autotrail (2.8 jtd) remapped at a company in victoria in cornwall. They have a dyno on site and develop all their programmes there. His motorhome was checked at 127bhp which they said was very good for standard, as they say the same engines vary a lot, after being remapped the dyno read out was 157bhp with a really improved torque curve (the most important thing as bhp figures are just for boy racers and pub talk). He found that it transformed the whole vehicle and was well worth the sub £300 it cost. They will adjust the mapping if you would like it set different and they keep the ecu programme they take off so if you want to set it back to standard they can. Allways check about the effects on the clutch as the 3.0 fiat 160bhp can be mapped to 201bhp but they recomend a clutch upgrade as due to the torque increase there is a good chance of tearing the clutch centre out..

With regard to informing the insurance company about a 'turbo boost'. I informed my company immediately after fitting the kit. The person I spoke to on the telephone said " no problem. no additional premium required".

It has only just occurred to me that I only received a verbal confirmation and I have nothing in writing. Knowing how insurance companies 'wriggle' when faced with a claim, I think I'll address that omission.

We ALWAYS insist on being able to either email them and receive a confirmation receipt, or write and get a confirmation letter back, when we tell them that we've done anything to our motorhome. I would NOT rely on a verbal 'okay' at any time, that person could leave the company or claim not to have said that, then you could be stuck up the 'tarmac creek' without a clutch ... gearbox ... vehicle ... not worth thinking about. 8-)

Nigel - 2010-01-13 9:50 AM

A friend of mine had his 2006 Autotrail (2.8 jtd) remapped at a company in victoria in cornwall. They have a dyno on site and develop all their programmes there. His motorhome was checked at 127bhp which they said was very good for standard, as they say the same engines vary a lot, after being remapped the dyno read out was 157bhp with a really improved torque curve (the most important thing as bhp figures are just for boy racers and pub talk). He found that it transformed the whole vehicle and was well worth the sub £300 it cost. They will adjust the mapping if you would like it set different and they keep the ecu programme they take off so if you want to set it back to standard they can. Allways check about the effects on the clutch as the 3.0 fiat 160bhp can be mapped to 201bhp but they recomend a clutch upgrade as due to the torque increase there is a good chance of tearing the clutch centre out..

Do you know which tuning company was involved, please, as there seem to be several in that area of Cornwall?

It might be interesting to learn more about the clutch-upgrade for the current Fiat 3.0litre motor you've mentioned, just in case it had any relevance regarding the clutch failures that some owners of motorhomes with this power-plant have experienced.

TB Turbo claimed to be able to get over 180bhp out of a Fiat 2.8JTD motor, though the work involved much more than just an ECU re-map.

Archived