Autosleeper Ravenna

LORNA

Appreciate this is a slightly late contribution but my attentiion has been elsewhere!

Re tank capacities it is as well to relate these to the number of persons on board - at first sight most m'homers would say a 100 litre tank was fine but for 4 people it's proportionally smaller than the Ravenna's 50+ litres is for 2.

For showering, if you learn to turn shower on and off as required to "soap-up" and rinse you'll make the most of the available suppllies. One trick we have developed is, where possible, to pitch within our fill-hose length of a site tap. We have an attachment that allows secure connection of the hose to the fresh tank filler and, when the site is quiet obviously, this enables very easy and ongoing tank replenishment!

As another contributor said, don't get too hung up on objectively grounded adverse comments - I suggest you try to decide which of these are important/relevant to you and proceed from there.

All m/homes have their quirks, features and faults and my overall impression is that our RWD Transit based Ravenna has done pretty well. We like it - wouldn't have purchased and wouldn't have kept it so long otherwise.

Good Luck.

Thanks for advice - really like the tip about the filling up straight from the tap nearby on a pitch, if possible. Glad you like the Ravenna and the Autosleeper - we have got our search down to the Make now just need to get the model choice as right as we will ever get! Have you used your Ravenna abroad? If so, how long can you go on independent of campsites with facilities e.g. waste emptying and water top-up? Thanks again, Lorna

Haven't used it abroad yet but we're planning to do so this summer. Only feedback I can give on "off site" use is single night wild-camping is OK 3-up but I think 2 nights would be pushing it. More leeway with just 2 persons though. I'm thinking fresh water here - re grey water, it might be acceptable, depending again on location, to empty thinly over a large-ish area especially if you use bio-degradable wash-up liquid but I'm still not a fan of this! Toilet cassettes obviously require a proper emptying point.

Remember that, depending on where you are, what is upstream of you and what you use the onboard fresh water tank for, filling from a watercourse just might be an option but obviously needs much care. Only likely to be satisfactory in thinly settled "wilderness" areas where you're sure there's no human habitation, cattle etc. upstream and the water looks OK and even then best to boil or treat before drinking.

Although rather off-topic I personally am not a big fan of wild camping - my formative years were spent doing the real deal on foot at altitude in mountains which has heightened my environmental concerns but there's also the security/nuisance issues to consider when camping roadside.

Keep looking!

Thanks for the very practical and thoughtful points - we are not going to be wild camping just maybe using something like an Aire overnight or France Passion (if we ever get this far!). Just want to get some perameters for what we can do on what amount of water etc. Must admit am very fond of a shower!!! Best wishes and thanks for the tips, Lorna

Archived