new owner of a motorhome needs advice!

shropshire

We are about to be given a motor caravan from someone who can no longer use it.

For insurance purposes and to work out its value the all important question seems to be 'what conversion type is it?'

We can ask the person about the cost/value etc but this could prove to be a bit arkward as they hasn't volunteered the information.

Could anyone help?

I have been given a chassis/frame number.-the motor home is a Ford Transit 280 SWB Durashift- 2003

thank you

Guest Tracker

Is it a panel van conversion or a coachbuilt?

If coachbuilt does it have an overcab bed?

Is there a user handbook?

I assume you are satisfied that the donor is the lawful owner - if so lucky you!

There should somewhere be a name or a badge or some graphics that will give us a clue as to who made it.

You could drive it to the nearest dealer - or maybe with his prior agreement to Dave Newell - who will probably be able to identify it for you as well as value it?

Can you post a photo - interior and exterior would help - but both will need to be pared down to well under 100kb if you want to be successful in getting them on here!

shropshire - 2010-01-14 3:52 PM

We are about to be given a motor caravan from someone who can no longer use it.

For insurance purposes and to work out its value the all important question seems to be 'what conversion type is it?'

We can ask the person about the cost/value etc but this could prove to be a bit arkward as they hasn't volunteered the information.

Could anyone help?

I have been given a chassis/frame number.-the motor home is a Ford Transit 280 SWB Durashift- 2003

thank you

Hi and welcome to the forum

I'm not sure what you mean by what conversion type it is but basically, if it is a standard 'metal bodied' van with caravan innards then it's a van conversion.

If it is a standard van cab and chassis with a fibre glass type body, it's a coachbuilt.

Some of the bigger vans have a complete cab and body built onto a chassis and that is an A- class van.

Other than that there should be a badge somewhere telling you who converted, although it may be that some DIY enthusiast built it himself.

Value is difficult because it depends on so many factors: age - mileage - condition etc.

From your username I assume you reside in God's own county. If this is correct then feel free to contact me for a viewing of this mystery van and we'll see if we can help you, FOC of course. My website is on the link at bottom left of this post and from there you can find my contact details and exact location.

D.

Archived