Advice sought on TEC motorhomes

Uncle Bulgaria

In my continuing search for a new twin-single bed motorhome, I came across a FreeTEC model that seems to fit the bill at my local dealers. I've come across TEC in the past, but the company does not appear to have a dealer network in the UK. I understand TEC, although small, is part of the Hymer group and as the dealer is a main dealer in Hymer caravans, claims access to TEC parts would not be a problem. The attractive feature of the vehicle is that it is on a Ford Transit rear wheel drive chassis (twin wheels on each side of the rear axle), has 4 belted travel seats. It is part of the final batch produced by TEC for the UK market in 2009 (even the habitation body is handed for the UK). It looks well put together, if a bit old fashioned, and meets all our essential, and most nice-to-have, requirements. However, the absense of a UK dealer network gives me qualms regarding long-term repair, parts and servicing, and trade-in.

Could forum members advise me on TEC's reputation, and whether buying such a vehicle would be ill advised in the absense of well established dealers in the UK? As always, all contributions much appreciated.

Richard.

Guest JudgeMental
Uncle Bulgaria - 2010-01-15 1:29 PM

In my continuing search for a new twin-single bed motorhome, I came across a FreeTEC model that seems to fit the bill at my local dealers. I've come across TEC in the past, but the company does not appear to have a dealer network in the UK. I understand TEC, although small, is part of the Hymer group and as the dealer is a main dealer in Hymer caravans, claims access to TEC parts would not be a problem. The attractive feature of the vehicle is that it is on a Ford Transit rear wheel drive chassis (twin wheels on each side of the rear axle), has 4 belted travel seats. It is part of the final batch produced by TEC for the UK market in 2009 (even the habitation body is handed for the UK). It looks well put together, if a bit old fashioned, and meets all our essential, and most nice-to-have, requirements. However, the absense of a UK dealer network gives me qualms regarding long-term repair, parts and servicing, and trade-in.

Could forum members advise me on TEC's reputation, and whether buying such a vehicle would be ill advised in the absense of well established dealers in the UK? As always, all contributions much appreciated.

Richard.

The Euramobil dealer I use in Belgium is an agent for them, I have looked around them occasionally they seem attractive on the surface..... But not up to Euramobil quality (according to dealer) But I would consider one if they had the layout I wanted. Not sure if they are GRP though, maybe alloy skinned

I have had twin singles on my wish list for quite a while...But am know rethinking this as I think they take up to much room and compromise the living space and size of garage....Unles you go for a long van which I don't want to do :-S

Make sure you get the correct payload figure off them - with it being twin rear wheel drive it will be a heavier chassis than a standard single wheel drive vehicle so you need to make sure it's got sufficient payload for you to be able to carry what you want.

The only sure way is to get the dealer to take it to a weighbridge and get the front and rear axle weights (you want a certificate with it on, not their word). Ideally if they do it totally empty with just a bit of fuel in, ideally without the driver too if you can, otherwise you need his weight too. That way you can calculate how much extra it will weigh with full gas bottles, water, your chattels, you and the other half etc, plus any accessories you may have fitted.

Richard

MMM's November 2008 issue contained a test report (pages 116-123) on a "TEC FreeTEC 718Ti UK" low-profile motorhome that appears to match the specification you've described.

TEC used to be marketed in the UK by Brownhills, but the agency was dropped when Brownhills re-invented itself. The UK importer then became Tech Leisure, based at Towcester (see below for details)

http://www.scottishcaravanner.co.uk/viewNews.php?id=33

but this company no longer seems to be trading.

I did come across a UK dealership advertising new and old TEC motorhomes/caravans:

http://www.blackcountrycaravans.co.uk/

According to MMM, their TEC test vehicle had a 5-year warranty on base-vehicle, conversion and against water ingress (which is a mite surprising!), though how these would be maintained with no official TEC agency in this country nowadays is anybody's guess.

Construction comprised aluminium sandwich panels with GRP skirts, overcab and rear-panel mouldings. Some of the dimensional data in the MMM report is clearly cock-eyed, but (as Mel B highlights) there are potential difficulties regarding payload.

FreeTEC 718Ti was offered with a maximum overall weight of either 3500kg (standard) or 3850kg (an optional 'upgrade'). Payload at 3500kg was quoted as a pathetic 360kg, whereas, at 3850kg it was an adequate 710kg. Basically, if you were planning to buy a 718Ti, you'd need the 3850kg version.

I'm wary of the idea that a Hymer caravan dealer would have easy access to TEC spares on the basis that TEC happens to be part of the Hymer Group. Auto-Trail and Chausson are both in the Trigano Group, but I doubt that an Auto-Trail dealer could get Chausson spares easily or vice versa. However, the Big Question, in my opinion, is not what happens regarding "long-term repair, parts and servicing, and trade-in", but what happens about any repairs and obligatory servicing needed during the motorhome's warranty period.

This is a previous TEC-related thread that may prove interesting:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12263&posts=13

(I'm pretty sure that there's an even earlier long thread about TEC warranty issues, but I can't trace it. It seems that the forum's SEARCH facility has been 'tweaked' recently - which may well help some forum members, but actually inhibits me.)

Ill-advised.

Motorhoming should be stress free so if you have any qualms, walk away. There are other makes. Whilst a strong analysis of the financial and technical merits of the deal may be worthwhile, if your gut feel doubts the purchase, go with the gut feel. There is no worse feeling than having to tell yourself at a later date, "I told you this was a bad idea".

I tend to be risk averse when it matters to me.

Agree with all of the above.  However, if the price is very good, and if you can afford to keep a big wad somewhere against problems developing, and especially if you propose using the van outside the UK on a fairly regular basis, it still may be worth considering as the base vehicle is an advantage and the layout is what you want.  The main additional proviso is Derek's on payload.  The 3,500Kg chassis really is a non-starter for longer European trips.

You will find TEC vans mainly in Germany, so a scan of the promobil website should dig you up a few German dealers.  I would suggest e-mailing TEC direct (giving as much detail as you can gather, including if at all possible its chassis number or TEC build number), and asking what attitude they would take to warranty claims on this vehicle.  It seems quite common for the German manufacturers to have customer service centres at which they will inspect and sort out problems with their vans.  (I'd check where TEC is based though - Germany is a big country!)

In practise, there is little in most motorhomes that is not separately guaranteed by other manufacturers.  Toilets, fridges, heaters, gas regulators, battery charger modules, even water pumps, all carry 12 month transferable guarantees from their manufacturers.  Ford seem generally reasonable in interpreting their warranties, although much of the interpretation is passed to a warranty manager at a main commercial vehicles dealership.  All the major manufacturers are represented in UK, and, so far as I know, all have reputations for being constructive and helpful when things go wrong.

That leaves the furniture and the coachbuilt bodywork.  You can judge the quality of the furniture by looking and feeling (aided by a bit of pulling and pushing!), so the bodywork is the main unknown.  Here that wonderful 5 year anti water ingress warranty come into prospect, since leakage is the main foreseeable problem.  First point, the van must have been standing around for a bit, and it is winter, so have a good look around inside for damp or mouldy patches (or smells!).  Insist on a full, recorded, damp check before buying.

Now the warning - which may work in your favour.  Find out if the van is being sold with the benefit of the 5 years TEC warranty.  If it is, it will be the dealer you buy from who is legally liable to fix any problems arising within that period, irrespective of whether there is a UK dealer network or whether TEC go out of business.  Any defect arising within 6 months of purchase is automatically deemed to have existed at the time you bought, you will not have to prove its pre-existence.  After 6 months, and up to 6 years, the selling dealer remains liable for defects, but for obvious reasons the extent of his liability diminishes over time, as wear and tear and the concepts of reasonableness assume precedence.  However, the warranty says, in terms, that it will not leak for 5 years, so establishes what should be expected in that respect.  One less thing to have to "prove".

It is the dealer you need to investigate.  Has he County Court judgements against him (Courts Service website), does he appear reasonably financially sound, is he long established on the present site, has he submitted his accounts recently and are any of their directors banned from certain offices (search companies house website)?  If they pass muster, have a little talk to them to assure yourself that they fully understand their obligations to you under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, from which the time related liabilities above have been taken.  By doing this, and making sure the relevant bits are covered in writing to the firm with your order, you may just win a few more quid off the price!

However, don't just assume that if it goes wrong you can swan into court and get your money back!  If you should end up with a claim against them, and it is under £5,000, you will be able to rely on using the small claims procedure and, if your financial research was sound, you should get paid (even though you may have to have a second bite at the cherry to force the money out of them!).

However, if you should need to try to get your money back (by rescinding the contract or rejecting the goods), all bets are off.  You will immediately fall into the realms of the "multi track" courts procedure, reserved for cases where the goods cost in excess of £15,000 or are complex, and you may end up in the High Court with all the stress and financial risks that imposes.  I would also warn that, according to Trading Standards, the track record of cases for rejection or rescission under the Regulations are not encouraging.

Notwithstanding, if you keep your eyes open, and do your research carefully, you just may nab yourself a real bargain and, if it does go wrong, you should have the final option of taking the van to TEC's factory to get problems resolved.  Just keep that wad in your back pocket, in case!! 

In the final analysis, it is likely to be a case of do you take an expensive trip to Germany, or an expensive trip to court?  Your decision, I think!  :-)  Good luck.

Brian Kirby - 2010-01-16 1:08 PM

...Now the warning - which may work in your favour.  Find out if the van is being sold with the benefit of the 5 years TEC warranty...

For what it's worth, I think that MMM's TEC '5 years for everything' warranty information was wrong. I've looked at an earlier TEC-related report (MMM November 2006) and I believe the FreeTEC's warranty durations are much more likely to be 3 years for the Ford base-vehicle, 2 years for the 'conversion' and 5 years for water ingress.

It's quite possible that no mandatory servicing will be required to maintain the conversion warranty, but it's near certain that an annual damp-check (by an authorised TEC agent) will be obligatory to keep the water-ingress warranty alive.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts. The good sense and advice in your posts are sufficient to prevent any rush of blood to the head. Damn (sorry) but I thought I might have found a van that ticked all out boxes. The search goes on. NEC in February it is. Eura Mobil..........I've heard of them somewhere...Why is it I gravitate towards German vans?

Thanks again.

Richard.

Archived