autoclutch

tess

can anyone help? we have just bought our first motorhome a Talbot Express, aut-sleeper Talisman II, 1988 model. my problem is because i have some disability problems with my legs, i am strugleing with the clucth pedle, i have reseached and found a company called Autoclutch who say they can fit a system that works the cluch for you by just pressing a button on the gear stick. so i was woundering if anybody has had or experienced one of these systems of autocluches ?

Hi Tess,

I had an Autoclutch fitted by a company in Hemel Hempstead about twelve years ago, sorry can’t remember the name (but Vehvac: http://www.vehvac.co.uk/car-owner-driver/auto-clutch.htm seems to be the same product), to my Hymer Mercedes 655 and used the system for about 30,000miles over 8 years. The system was fantastic only ever needing one cable adjustment in all that time. The Hymer was a very heavy MoHo at 4500kg and needed lots of gear changing, over the Alps and Pyrenees, especially when towing our car! Never a problem. Super easy in traffic in fact we now use a full auto and that is only easier because of not moving a gear lever. Go for it!

PM me if I can help more.

Regards, :-)

I had a TB Turbo fitted on my last 'van, they also do an electric clutch operated by a small switch on the top of the gear handle. They gave me a demo amd it seemed very good. Smooth take-off when the vehicle is stationary, and quick action when gear changing at speed. a new clutch had to be fitted at the same time. I did not have it fitted as the 'van was not in very good condition when I reached a stage that I needed automatic gear change so I bought a transit automatic with proper troque converter automatic box. Torque converter box is much better to drive than an E.C.U. operated auto box. [ I have both ] A.M.T. on the car operated by an E.C.U. over which the driver has very little control, and you have to use the hand brake on a hill or it will run back. The electic auto clutch is very good...............go for it, but get a demo first.

thanks for the info, i think i probably will go for it, i was just a bit concerned as to spending out £1500 inc VAT on a 1988 MH incase it did not work, but it wold be a shame to have to sell her as she has only done 50,000 miles and runs realy well though you are up and down the gears a bit on the smaller roads. thanks for the feedback.

Hi,

I had it fitted to my current Van, I to have problems with my left leg, it's been a great help, especially in heavy start stop traffic.

Mine was fitted by TB turbos in Lancashire.

I don't think they are there now but if you pm me, i have the phone number of one of their ex fitters, who still does some work privately and may be cheaper.

Pete

Pete

breakaleg - 2010-01-16 12:29 PM

Hi,

I had it fitted to my current Van, I to have problems with my left leg, it's been a great help, especially in heavy start stop traffic.

Mine was fitted by TB turbos in Lancashire.

I don't think they are there now but if you pm me, i have the phone number of one of their ex fitters, who still does some work privately and may be cheaper.

Pete

Pete

Pete,

You are right, Sadly TB Turbo are no longer in business.

:-( Ray

Guest Tracker

Hi Tess and welcome to the madhouse.

I have had four Talismans - or is that Talismen - of various ages over the years and in my experience I reckon they were one of the finest vans ever made bar none. Durable, practical and not too big.

There were a couple of downsides one of which is the Talbot Express's desire to self destruct with the aid of the inexorable tinworm but if yours is sound in the cab body and chassis department possibly having been waxoyled or similar if you are lucky it should last you many years and give you many good holidays.

Auto Sleepers in those days in spite of making one of the best GRP bodied vans ever paid scant regard to insulation so if you go away in the winter be prepared to get through a lot of gas for heating or better still if you have the electric heating option use a site's hook up.

Another issue is the limited storage space but it is adequate for two people and plenty adequate as long as you don't go for three months at a time!

All in all a jolly good choice for a first van and I wish you much happiness with it!

You don't mention heavy steering - not that I found the petrol engined versions heavy - but the diesels had power steering which worked well and the old 2.5 diesel is a strong and durable motor if serviced to it's needs. The non turbo is not renowned for it's alacrity but the turbo version is adequate if not exactly sparkling by modern standards and all are reasonably economical in as much as motorhome and economy can be used in the same sentence!

Thanks for all the great info, i dont really find the steering heavy, just a real problem with the clutch, thou i am sure the autoclutch should sort that, i have got the air suspention added to the MH. you have really inspired me in my purchase and i cant wait to take our first trip.

Cheers!

Archived