Snooper Ventura S2000 Euro

penny56

We have been looking for a sat-nav that will allow us to input our motorhome height and width and like the sound of the Snooper Ventura S2000 Euro. Has anyone used one? Are they any good?

Or can anyone recommend an alternative make which we can program with height and width restrictions and use in UK & Europe?

We have a Tom Tom but can't input the motorhome size and have had some 'challenging' experiences on small roads as a result - thanks :)

You could try a search for "snooper" using the search option above.  Select "motorhome matters" as the forum to search, set time to "all posts" and enter "snooper" as the keyword.

However, the main thing to check with any of these devices, (another one is now available from Garmin, and I think TomTom have one in, or near, release) is the extent to which the mapping carries the necessary data to allow the selected options to work effectively.  They are generally there for UK, but for other parts of Europe the information is variable country by country.  Depending on where you plan going, therefore, the value may be less than anticipated.

Second thing: so far as I know, to date, none of the electronic mapping contains road width data, just data on prohibitions.  If you are expecting these devices to avoid narrow roads, therefore, you are likely to be disappointed.  They should not route you down roads where your input motorhome width data would make that illegal, but they will take you down roads which are narrow, where there is no actual width restriction.

They should, however, satisfactorily avoid weight and height restrictions applicable to your van.  The ultimate value to you, therefore, depends largely on what you are mainly concerned to avoid, and where you mainly intend using the device.

I am also considering purchasing the Snooper Ventura but the model with the larger screen size. I agree with Brian that it will not address all of the problems with narrow roads because of the lack of European data, however, the other data you can enter, height, width, weight etc is certainly better than the standard sat navs on the market at the moment. I also like the fact that the Snooper comes pre-loaded with the ACSI Europe campsites and I now believe the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Sites.

As has been stated many times on forums and in the Motorhome mags, you should not rely totally on technology as it is only as good as when the mapping was updated (generally out of date by the time the devices hit the retail shelves). Always pre-check your route before travelling and make a note of road numbers, motorway junction exit numbers etc. and always carry an up to date road map.

I still work on the 'gut instinct' principle and generally all four in conjunction with each other works pretty well in my experience e.g. Sat Nav, Map, Route Notes and gut instinct.

Also worth noting, shop around as there are many other on-line retailers selling the snooper ventura !

• 2 weeks later...

I have the snooper S7000 which may be the one you are looking at. It give you the facility to enter height, length etc but Brian is quite right it will try to guide you down small roads and last week end small tracks in Scotland.

It has the facility to programme for towing a car as well as a car by itself.

No real gripes so far but each to their own

Cheers

Tony

Would be interested if "penny 56 or Big Momma" did buy the Ventura, if so are they pleased with its performance and did they find it cheaper than £349.99.

Any other comments about this Sat Nav from anyone else would be appeciated.

thanks

Ris

I have not got one but Tom Tom do a truck sat nav and if it's as easy to use as the one or any other tom tom I would consider it.

They are about £450 at the mo but like most things may come down in price eventually???

Cheers

For anyone interested in purchasing a Ventura, look at their webb site at snooperuk.com Their prices are competitive and if going for the S7000 euro, they offer a rebate on return of any old Sat nav. I am awaiting a figure for my 4 year old Garmin streetpilot C55. Anything is better than having it just sitting in a drawer, particularly as it has frozen totally on me.

Anyone wishing to purchase this item suggest you contact Trading Direct 01483 522 225 www.TradingDirect.co.uk to check prices. Just purchased a Ventura S7000 Euro and obtained a trade in reduction for my old Sat Nav making the final price £329.99. When you open the Snooper webb site the sales telephone number shown is as above.

pilote742 - 2010-02-18 6:05 PM Tony Thanks for the PM I have attempted a reply but message does not send - any advise on how to sned a PM Philip

PMs are not like e-mail, you do not send them.  I effect, you post them to the recipients "inbox", but they continue to show in your "outbox" until opened by recipient, whereafter they disappear from your "outbox", to reappear in your "sent items".

Archived