Parking in Pisa

stonehenge man

When we went there, there was a large carpark just outside the city wall. Near the street market.

Unfortunately the tower was closed as it was leaning too much but I think that has been corrected and is open again. Must put it on my list for a visit the next time we go to Rome.

Phil.

hi stonehenge man

just to endorse the previous post

i have put some photos on the 'fiamma handle' thread showing the damage that was done to our van in an attempted theft in italy last year

in pisa there were 3 cars on the carpark which had people living in them

i didn't stay in pisa just did a recce for a future visit

i would definately play safe and go to the secure m/home parking

the tariffs were in oct 09

3hrs..€3

6hrs...€5

18hrs/onite inc services...€12

we did a thread 'hi from berti in the rhone alps' of our holiday to italy...if you do a search it should still come up....it may give you a laugh on a cold winter evening (lol)

cheers

berti

Oh dear here we go again, from an innocent enquirie we go to break ins again.I really am sorry for those that have been violated but surely there is many like us who up to now have not had an incedent. We parked just around the corner fro the wall without any thought of breakins and spent an enjoyable day there.

Lets get real breakins do happen. to just say O deal here we go again is just plain silly.

I myselve have not been broken into in over 12 years of motorhoming, But I must say that the last time I was in italy oct last year I did see 1st hand a number of motorhomes that had had break ins, this was also the only time I had seen this and spoken to the people. But the numbers of 3rd world beggers etc in italy had to be seen. They call them jumping jacks i think when they hang around traffic lights or road juctions selling things or just begging.

Just take care keep your eyes open an don,t just say O DEAL.

michael

We parked in the car park just outside the city walls in March and had no problems. There were several other vans and cars there too. There were posts for hooking up to, but we didn't try them ourselves as we were only there for the day, but one van was on them and they looked like they were free!

If you are just going to see the tower and not walk round the city lost, like wot we did! Then walk along the footpath outside the walls next to the road until you get to the entrance near the tower and square. I know it sounds daft when I say we got lost, but the tower isn't signposted and from inside the city you can't actually see it because of the university buildings! To be fair to us we asked a local woman at a bus stop where it was and she didn't know either!

If you do go to the nearby site, just watch which way you approach it. On one way the headroom is only 3 metres, so watch your roof!

My remark about "Oh dear" not Odeal. What i am saying is we all read about todays villains etc but put youself into the situation that you are a first time abroad camper, if you or your partner reads too many of these gloom and doom comments i doubt they will want to go.Take my own wife , she does not look at the news or newspapers, why?, she says why get depressed i'm happy with my life. I use to be a avid reader of the Daily Mail but gave up years ago as most of the time it was as said gloom and doom. Rant over.See you again Pisa.

Coachman - 2010-01-18 8:02 PM

Oh dear here we go again, from an innocent enquirie we go to break ins again.I really am sorry for those that have been violated but surely there is many like us who up to now have not had an incedent. We parked just around the corner fro the wall without any thought of breakins and spent an enjoyable day there.

good afternoon coachman

my post wasn't intended to be a scaremongering repetition of 3rd hand gossip..

i speak from personal experience

you say you just parked without any thought of a breakin...

well, so did we...

in october 09 we parked on an italian equivalent of blackpool prom at 3pm , alarm on, lots of people about, overlooked by inhabited apartments ...and ended up with a smashed ignition lock and major damage to the bodywork ...

we returned to the van whilst the thieves were still there ...tackling 4 burly individuals at my time of life was not an option....

i value my person over and above my property...

it was a very distressing and frightening experience !!!

we met lots of italian m/homers who advised us not to leave our van unattended at any major towns/cities or at any tourist hotspots..the risks have become too great now..

thieves are becoming bolder...evidenced by trying to actually steal a van... rather than taking a few readily saleable items

there has been a huge influx of immigrants into italy over the last few years..and it is becoming a major problem..

we saw several large squatter camps on the outskirts of places and lots of people living rough in cars and vans on carparks and aires

let's face it...to people who have nothing.. we must seem like millionaires...and desperate people resort to desperate measures..

so ok ...you have been lucky for 12 years....we had been for 8 yrs (the vast majority of it spent wild camping )..but by the law of averages it will happen to you sometime....i'm not saying sit there worrying about it...but if there is an opportunity to take sensible precautions then isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

everyone has a different perception of risk...

all i was doing was giving stonehenge man some information so that he could make his own choice and risk assessment......

we aren't trying to put anyone off m/homing or italy..

but we would choose to take the advice of m/homers who actually live in the country and have a better knowledge of the situation than we do..

so i hope your luck continues to hold out and wish you many more trouble free holidays

cheers

berti (and his better half )

Are you aware of the ZTL Zones I understand they exist in Pisa I have not been down that far. It may not affect motorhomes if you don`t go into the centre of cities but is probably worth knowing. Information can be found on Web essentially a form of the LEZ or Congestion Zone and just as expensive if you infringe it. I have yet to study it properly myself.

Archived