Fiat reverse judder

rapido9090f

My Rapido 9090f is due at Chelston Motorhomes,Wellington tomorrow for the reverse gear reduction mod of which I have read so much.Of particular concern are those comments regarding poor workmanship.Chelston so far have been both courteous and anxious to resolve the problem.They are also a Fiat approved service centre.However I know from a previous experience with a Mercedes approved dealership some years ago that some approvals don't mean a thing.In this instance they ended up fitting a new engine when they wrecked the original on my Hymer 660.So what do I need to look for when I collect the vehicle ,hopefully before the end of this week, and can I expect a copy of a worksheet to say what has been done?Resale in mind!! *-)

My Burstner Fiat was given phase 2 a few months back, phase 1 having made the situation worse.Whilst I have not really had the opportuniy to test the result under hard conditions, it certainly is better under normal use. I have advised Chelston I shall let them know the level of satisfaction once I have had more chance to use it.

The work was all done as planned,and I have always found them reliable, and courteous, and efficient in all my dealings with them I asked for confirmation of what exactly had been done, and they mailed me a letter stating exactly what had been done and all the parts/ numbers used. I assume this is also on their own records, but for my comfort when the time tosell comes, I perosnally have it in writing!

I have to say that I have always also found the contact direct from Fiat tom be exactly what they promised, other than the delay earlier last year when they were still 'working'on the problem. I understand the contact between Fiat and Burstner has produced the parts pretty much when promised.

''The Merc aside.''It's a long story which I shall try and keep short.When travelling on the M27 some years ago I noticed steam coming from the exhaust accompanied by a rapid rise in indicated temp.The outfit was taken to a Merc approved service dealer who prefaricated over the cause including perforations in the cylinders which I just had to see.The dealer was unable to show me this and eventually claimed that they had found a tracking path through the head gasket and proceeded to carry out a top refit.Unfortunately for them they mistimed the valve timing by one tooth.I refused to take the vehicle off their forecourt,it was banging and smoking causing raised eyebrows from their own mechanics.I accompanied the Merc inspector who informed the garage, in no uncertain terms, that they had damaged the engine beyond repair and would have to get another new one from Germany.

In all of this Mercedes Benz were very helpful and supportive.When the vehicle went in for the 1000 mile service on the new engine,to a merc dealer in Wales, I reported that everything was fine except for a persistent leak of oil from the sump drain plug which wouldn't tighten.They found a hairline crack through the boss consistent they believed in the engine being dropped by the Fareham outfit.The aluminium sump replacement,under warranty, was I believe £300.

rapido9090f - 2010-01-18 8:20 PM

They found a hairline crack through the boss consistent they believed in the engine being dropped by the Fareham outfit.The aluminium sump replacement,under warranty, was I believe £300.

This Fareham outfit's name wouldn't begin with a P would it? Having just taken my pride and joy there for some work to be done, your tale of woe has left me slightly nervous. :-(

Archived