Rooflight damage

Sunnysue

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. While directing my hubbie out of a car park I directed him into an overhanging beam!!!whoops and it put a 2 inch hole and a couple of cracks in the rooflight. Needless to say the air was blue for the next few hours. When we got back and looked at the damage luckily it was only the outer glazed dome that had the hole . Well what I would like to know is if anyone has any ideas on repairing this hole as we cannot afford to replace it just yet and we need to make sure its as water tight as it can be for the time being.

Thanks in advance

Sue (should have gone to specsavers!!)

Hiya Sue

I'd suggest getting some suitable adhesive to secure the cracks of the remaining part of the roof light so they don't get any worse, as for any holes, again if you've got the bits stick them in place, you can then cover it with some good quality gaffer (duct) tape (every motorhome owner should have some as part of their vital repair kit!).

If you can get hold of some sticky backed plastic, the type of stuff you usually put on books etc to protect them (usually sold on rolls which you cut to size), then put this over the rooflight, both inside and out to hold it all together - it's marvellous stuff and should keep you water and wind tight until you get the change to replace it.

Guest Tracker

I too would make a temporary repair with tape but I doubt gaffer tape will survive for long unless it is of the waterproof variety.

For a permanent repair I would consider polycarbonate sheet if the damage is on a flat enough area that it will bend to shape (I don't know if polycarbonate will mould with mild heat?) or better some thin perspex, if you can still get it, which can be moulded to shape carefully with a hair dryer or heat gun before either being stuck or affixed in place with stainless steel screws on a bedding of clear silicone. It won't look wonderful but it will keep the rain out. It will need to be very dry to do this unless you can take it off and cover up the hole while you work on it indoors?

You could consider an insurance claim for accidental damage if you were so inclined and you might like to ask whether they would consider it a 'glass breakage' claim so that a smaller xs applies and it will not affect your NCD.

If you have retrieved the broken pieces I reckon by fitting them back in place and using a good sticky tape from a car body outlet shop, it will last for ages.

You could even paint over the outside. I doubt it will be seen from others and from the inside, tough.

Reading your post again it seems the broken pieces may be loose inside the outer cover, or you cannot refit them easily due to a double skin. then tape is an answer, as has been suggested. I would be happy to cover mine that way and save me buying another for months.

Archived