Autotrail Dakota Shower Valve

martin h

Having very carefully (we thought) drained all the hot and cold water from our 2006 Autotrail Dakota we found at the weekend that the shower valve has sprung a leak (yes we did leave the shower head in the tray pointing down). I will take the valve out this weekend and assuming the worst does anyone know where to by a new value please? Thanks in advance.

a mate of mine with an autotrail tracker , called me said his shower had sprung a leek , we checked and found somehow the compression fitting at the base of his shower pipe had loosened , off we got a spanner and tightened the nuts , and that sorted it out , so check all the compression joints etc before anything else .

martin h - 2010-01-18 8:53 PM

Having very carefully (we thought) drained all the hot and cold water from our 2006 Autotrail Dakota we found at the weekend that the shower valve has sprung a leak (yes we did leave the shower head in the tray pointing down). I will take the valve out this weekend and assuming the worst does anyone know where to by a new value please? Thanks in advance.

Just idle curiosity really, but why did you leave the shower head in the tray pointing down?

The important thing with water 'taps' is to try to ensure they are completely empty of water and left in the fully-open position. It's particularly important if the taps/valves are of the mixer-type that the operating lever is centralised before being opened fully so that both the hot and cold feeds within the tap are emptied of water. If water freezes within the tap/valve itself, there's a strong likelihood that damage will occur: if water freezes within the pipework connecting taps to water pumps/appliances/tanks, there's a good chance it won't cause harm. I would have thought that placing the shower head high up in its wall-mount and leaving the shower-valve fully open would offer the best chance of the valve draining completely. (Anyway, that's what I do!)

I can't advise on what replacement shower-valve would be needed for a 2006 Dakota, though an Auto-Trail dealer, or the factory itself, should be able to say.

Hi Martin...i changed the complete shower valve unit on our Dakota (05)in Nov 09,after a thread on here the guys and girls were very helpful...try search to find it.

The shower was ordered from www.caravan-components .co.uk,very good people to deal with, and a lot cheaper than Autotrail.

Any more info required...give me a shout. Phil.

Derek - (Just idle curiosity really, but why did you leave the shower head in the tray pointing down?)

This was to hopefully ensure all the water ran out.

Manu - 2010-01-19 11:46 AM

Hi Martin...i changed the complete shower valve unit on our Dakota (05)in Nov 09,after a thread on here the guys and girls were very helpful...try search to find it.

The shower was ordered from www.caravan-components .co.uk,very good people to deal with, and a lot cheaper than Autotrail.

Any more info required...give me a shout. Phil.

Phil,

Great, thanks. I will call Caravan Components once I have taken the valve out at the weekend if it has split, I am hoping it might just be a nut come loose.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Guest Tracker

The shower valve on our Tracker also began to leak on the day before we left for our Norway trip in 2008 - or at least that's when I first noticed it!

Having removed most of the skin on my arms hands and knuckles getting the darned thing off and out I found that it was sealed and ungetinsideable - nice word eh! - to fiddle with so I put it all back together the way it was and was not amazed to find that it still leaked!

I found that it only leaked water on the low pressure side - ie from back down the shower hose and not from the tank so I decided that as long as we drained the hose down after use so that water would not drip onto the wellies stored in the shower we could live with it!

Archived