spare wheel requirements

simran

As you have opted for a spare wheel I assume you'll carry it at all times.

Personally, I wouldn't want a vehicle without a spare wheel. What would happen if a tyre splits or shreds? I would want to be able to continue my journey without waiting for a spare tyre to be sourced and brought to me.

mel wood - 2010-01-19 1:32 PM

As you have opted for a spare wheel I assume you'll carry it at all times.

Personally, I wouldn't want a vehicle without a spare wheel. What would happen if a tyre splits or shreds? I would want to be able to continue my journey without waiting for a spare tyre to be sourced and brought to me.

That is the whole point of Tyron bands they do enable you to get to safety even with a shredded tyre. We have them and no spare wheel and having seen a car driven around Silverstone at speed with two blown tyres but Tyron bands fitted I feel more than safe.

Guest Tracker

Notwithstanding the blowout safety how much more simple it is to simply change a wheel and buy a new tyre at the earliest opportunity, even if you do need the aid of a local mechanic if it is heavy and awkward, than to have to drive with a shredded tyre knocking seven bells of yesterday out of your nice soft motorhome coachbuilt body!

Tyron is a very good safety device but is no substitute for a proper spare wheel in my view!

When abroad I also carry a foot pump, 12v tyre inflater, pressure gauge and a never yet used can of gungy sealer as I would prefer to get myself going if I can after a flat tyre - or even two - rather than rely on others.

But that's just me being old fashioned I guess!

Hope you've also got a very heavy duty bottle jack as well, plus a lump of wood to stand it on Rich'. I had to buy a spare wheel for my van £200 with tyre, Ouch! as I didn't trust that gungy crap Fiat supply. Also bought a 10 ton bottle jack from Pirtek as well, cost £50 a right bargain.

We have Tyron bands in caravan and tow vehicle also Ultraseal

Apart from two bursts last year on the caravan we have had no problems and all tyres have not lost ANY pressure at all.

Tyron bands are simply for my peace of mind not for driving to a garage on because you will damage the wheel

My n/side front tyre was slashed in a hypermarket car park in the South of France in 2007; we drove about 5 miles then the tyre deflated rapidly, luckily on a dual carriageway with a hard shoulder. While I was underneath the van trying to extricate the spare and the wife was standing next to me, one of the thieves got into the cab and stole her handbag. It is extremely difficult to remove a 16 inch Ducato wheel and tyre from the underslung carrier on an ALKO chassis, when I eventually got it out, I jacked up the van with a 5 ton bottle jack, took off the flat and attempted to put on the spare; it would not go on becuase the suspension had dropped and the jack was now fully extended but needing to raise the van another 2 inches to line up the studs with the spare. I called the RAC; after a 2 hour wait a French breakdown truck arrived, the driver looked at the jacked up van, said aah! then drove off. He returned with an axle stand, stuck it under the suspension arm, put a wooden block under my jack and we were then able to raise it enough to get the inflated tyre on. We then had to wait 2 days for a replacement Michelin camping car tyre from a local dealer (220 euros), not being willing to carry on without a spare. I now have in addition to the spare underneath the van, a second spare in the garage plus 2 axle stands. I had a puncture, a nail, in Spain in September; it took me 15 seconds to remove the spare from the garage and 30 minutes overall to change the wheel. I could then carry on safe in the knowledge that I have another spare (but then again it is a tag axle and I have 6 road wheels). The moral of the story is in addition to a proper spare take a bottle jack and 2 axle stands. A puncture repair spray will not be any use with a slashed or damaged tyre, I am amazed that a spare wheel is not provided with modern vans, and I always thought breakdown services insisted on a serviceable spare.

Archived