Tesco points/vouchers

Mel B

How to boost your Tesco Clubcard Deals to offset your motorhome Channel Tunnel crossing cost (or whatever you choose to spend them on).

Tesco have a deal on at the moment - if you buy any mobile phone on the Tesco Network then you get 1,000 Clubcard Points, woth £10 face value or £40 in deals. As you can get a cheap mobile PAYG phone on their network from just under £15, that's a profit of over £25!

We've just bought some phones for £19.97 each, so after deducting the cost for each one, we're still £20.03 in profit in 'deals'. We'll then sell the phones, obviously with a reduction in the cost, but it will still make us a nice little profit.

Anyone interested - here's a link about it - but you'll have to be quick as they're running out of phones and the deal ends on 24 Jan (this Sunday).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/tesco-clubcard-points-deals

Del Boy and Rodney ain't got nowt on us! :D

Another way of getting extra points is if you have a Tesco credit card is to pay for your shopping with it, you get 1 point for each pound on your club card, 1 point for each pound spent on your credit card & a bonus point if you pay for your shopping with the credit card.

I have mine converted to Airmiles I'm on the old bonus rate of 80 miles for 50 points got 30,000 Airmiles in the bank, nice to fly BA for free.

I discovered whilst browsing the airmiles web site, that I can use my airmiles for ferry bookings. I was quoted £465.00 to cross from Portsmouth to Cherburg by Brittany Ferries, so I'll phone the airmiles number on Monday and see if I have enough airmiles to cover the trip.

lennyhb - 2010-01-22 9:31 PM

Another way of getting extra points is if you have a Tesco credit card is to pay for your shopping with it, you get 1 point for each pound on your club card, 1 point for each pound spent on your credit card & a bonus point if you pay for your shopping with the credit card.

I have mine converted to Airmiles I'm on the old bonus rate of 80 miles for 50 points got 30,000 Airmiles in the bank, nice to fly BA for free.

Lenny, how do you know what rate you're on for airmiles?

Mel B - 2010-01-23 4:49 PM

lennyhb - 2010-01-22 9:31 PM

Lenny, how do you know what rate you're on for airmiles?

It tells you on your quarterly statement, the original rate was 40 for every 250 points then about 3 years ago maybe longer they changed it to 60 but if you were on the bonus rate of 80 you kept that rate.

Thanks for the tip Mel. We have just bought a Nokia 1208 from Tesco for £14.97 (last one in store) which will give us £41.12 towards our next tunnel crossing!! So does not matter if we throw phone away still over £26 in profit. What infact will do is unlock it (Nokia can often be unlocked easily from codes available from web) and use as a reserve phone.

Another way to get double Tesco points, by the way, is to apply for a Tesco Clubcard Plus account. This is not a credit card but more like a debit card which you load up with a set amount, say £100, each month then get double points on every purchase, including fuel. At moment only useful for fuel as Tesco are giving double points but this is only for al imited time I think.

After a phone conversation of 30 mins on an 0844 number, I booked through Airmiles on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry (change of plan).

With a motorhome of under 6 metres and towing a 3 metre motorbike trailer, the fare came to £691.00, as opposed to the full fare of £1,026.00. I used 3500 airmiles in the transaction.

I'm leaving on the 3rd June and returning on the 2nd July (God willing).

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
bob b - 2010-01-25 1:37 PM

After a phone conversation of 30 mins on an 0844 number,

Hi Bob

Did you think of looking up the 0844 number on saynoto0870.com to find a geographical number?

Sorry - I don't know why it was sent 3 times - never happened before!

lennyhb - 2010-02-05 1:30 PM

Just got an Airmiles quote for Pembroke to Rosslare.

4500 miles plus £14 or £284, CC & C&CC were both around £225.

So, if my maths is right ....

The current exchange rate of Tesco points for airmiles is £2.50 in vouchers for each lot of 60 airmiles.

The cost of the above ferry (not counting the £14 'cash' payment) is 4500 airmiles which equates to a value of £270.00.

4500 airmiles divided by 60 = 75 lots of £2.50 Tesco voucher exchanges (the value of the points required for each airmiles voucher)

So, multiplying 75 by £2.50 =£187.50 in Tesco vouchers.

So, 1 airmile is worth £0.06, or £3.60 for 60 airmiles (per £2.50 of vouchers exchanged) ... that's not even twice the value!

There might be an easier way to do this but my brains numb!!!

Mickt - 2010-02-05 4:54 PM

You can use Airmiles for Dover/ Calais, about 1000 miles.Convert your Tesco vouchers into Airmiles , register with them and book with them

1000 airmiles divided by 60 = approx 17 lots of £2.50 Tesco voucher exchanges (the value of the points required for each airmiles voucher)

So, multiplying 17 by £2.50 =£42.50 in Tesco vouchers.

I can get a return trip on Eurotunnel for less than that, the one I've just booked for sensible times in/out came in at £130.00 (plus £2.00 cash), which equates to only £32.50 in vouchers - £10 in vouchers cheaper.

Patricia - 2010-02-05 2:50 PM
bob b - 2010-01-25 1:37 PM

After a phone conversation of 30 mins on an 0844 number,

Hi Bob Did you think of looking up the 0844

number on saynoto0870.com to find a geographical number? Sorry - I don't know why it was sent 3 times - never happened before!

Hi Patricia,  I tried the number given by 'Sayno'. It has been discontinued.....wonder why! 

Mel B - 2010-02-05 5:34 PM

lennyhb - 2010-02-05 1:30 PM

Just got an Airmiles quote for Pembroke to Rosslare.

4500 miles plus £14 or £284, CC & C&CC were both around £225.

So, if my maths is right ....

The current exchange rate of Tesco points for airmiles is £2.50 in vouchers for each lot of 60 airmiles.

The cost of the above ferry (not counting the £14 'cash' payment) is 4500 airmiles which equates to a value of £270.00.

4500 airmiles divided by 60 = 75 lots of £2.50 Tesco voucher exchanges (the value of the points required for each airmiles voucher)

So, multiplying 75 by £2.50 =£187.50 in Tesco vouchers.

So, 1 airmile is worth £0.06, or £3.60 for 60 airmiles (per £2.50 of vouchers exchanged) ... that's not even twice the value!

There might be an easier way to do this but my brains numb!!!

Are but I get 80 airmiles per £2.50 Tesco voucher so that by your reconing makes it £140.

Archived