Vodafone Dongle Update

lennyhb

Just noticed that Vodaphone have fallen in line with the other networks, if you buy a PAYG dongle now you get 3 Gig download when you buy it then top ups are £15 per Gig but it's only valid for 30 days, looks like all the advantages of using a Vodafone dongle have gone.

I've just topped up my one for the first time they only tell you you have brought a £15 top up I will sure as hell be mad if it times out after 30 days.

I think you can now use the Vodafone dongle abroad (if you are rich) doesn't say you can't on their website any more.

I was on the Isle of Man earlier in the week I didn't realise at first that as far as mobiles go it's a different country. Anyway the Hotel network was so slow I tried connecting via the dongle it connected but that's as far as I got there was only about a £1 credit on it and it used the lot just connecting!!

My T-Mobile dongle contract is up next month so I got an unlock code (free) from them and took up the free SIMs offer from Three.

With every top-up (£10 initially on registering credit card but from £5 subsequently) I get a 150MB allowance which has a 90 day life.

The credit never runs out (so long as you use the device at least once every 180 days) and can be used to buy Internet access bundles including 50p for one day and £2.50 for a week - enough to cover us for use when away probably.

I'm also transferring to PAYG on T-Mobile but still waiting to see what deals are available.

My cell phone is Vodafone PAYG. I can link to the netbook using USB or Bluetooth and access the Internet for 50p per day or (now I have the unlock code) put the SIM in the dongle and use it that way for the same 50p charge.

With all that lot I should be able to obtain a decent signal wherever we are away in the van.

Graham

I have just purchased a vodafone Mobile Broadband Dongle from Tesco and looking at their site here http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-2307.aspx is still saying a £15 upgrade lasts up to 270 days. Just been on the Vodafone, which in my view has never been the easist to navigate I can find no mention of that type of usage. Perhaps its something tesco have negotiated?

David

Klyne - 2010-01-22 12:12 AM . . . Just been on the Vodafone, which in my view has never been the easist to navigate I can find no mention of that type of usage. Perhaps its something tesco have negotiated? David

I'm glad someone else agrees that their web site is rubbish.  I always go round and round trying to find what I want.

I'm REALLY annoyed about this move and if it does run out in 30 days it's going in the bin and I'll check my emails when I get home.

The link to the Vodaphone blurb is here

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/deals/usb-modem-stick-topup-and-go-blue

Klyne - 2010-01-22 12:12 AM

I have just purchased a vodafone Mobile Broadband Dongle from Tesco and looking at their site here http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-2307.aspx is still saying a £15 upgrade lasts up to 270 days.

David

Just tried to buy on Tesco Direct as you say that's indicating the 270 days but unfortunatly its coming up "no longer stocked".

Found one in a Tesco store yesterday but the sealed box does not mention "validity" at all on the outside and the assistant had no idea.

It was however a white one; is that an indicator as I note Vodafone's new ones are blue?

As I also find the 'non-expiring' credit works for me, and it is the reason I bought the Vodafone device, I thought I'd try to do some research.

Judging by the Vodafone forum, the new arrangements have caused quite a bit of confusion.

As far as I can gather, the following appears to be the situation:

The original dongle that came with the 1GB for £15 'non-expiring' was badged as a K3565 (and possibly rev 1, rev 2, etc).

The current dongle, which comes with 3GB for £15 but 30 day expiry is badged as K3565R (note the R suffix).

Vodafone staff have posted (and there appears to be coroborating wording on the site elsewhere) that the device type will define which account type you are on, and the capacity and expiry of any existing allowance AND any future top-ups.

Thus, my expectation is that, with a K3565, my future top-ups will give me only 1GB, but will not expire after 30 days.

The proof of the pudding, as they say...... :-S

Just looked at the Vodafone forum, yes it looks like us with the older dongles are OK.

From a commercial point of view I can see why they made the change, I've just been amazed at much browsing emails I done for the £15 if you are careful & don't download or stream any video clips the credit lasts for ages.

Robinhood - 2010-01-22 12:19 PM

As I also find the 'non-expiring' credit works for me, and it is the reason I bought the Vodafone device, I thought I'd try to do some research.

Judging by the Vodafone forum, the new arrangements have caused quite a bit of confusion.

As far as I can gather, the following appears to be the situation:

The original dongle that came with the 1GB for £15 'non-expiring' was badged as a K3565 (and possibly rev 1, rev 2, etc).

The current dongle, which comes with 3GB for £15 but 30 day expiry is badged as K3565R (note the R suffix).

Vodafone staff have posted (and there appears to be coroborating wording on the site elsewhere) that the device type will define which account type you are on, and the capacity and expiry of any existing allowance AND any future top-ups.

Thus, my expectation is that, with a K3565, my future top-ups will give me only 1GB, but will not expire after 30 days.

The proof of the pudding, as they say...... :-S

Blimey - I'm mad now!

Just bought the Vodafone dongle yesterday from Carphone Warehouse. They didn't have the £28.99 version (with 1GB free) but did haver an offer on a 3GB version which I bought for £34.99 instead of £39.99.

I particularly asked the salesman if it was one where the credit did not expire after 30 days. His reply was that the original 3GB on the dongle does expire after the first 30 days from initiation if not used but that when I put the next £15 on that will not expire after 30 days.

Robinhood - I have checked the code on the (unoped) box and it is Vodafone K3565 Refresh - does this mean it is the 'old' type that allows you to use the credit for longer than 30 days? What do you think?

I will leave the box unopend for now until I can find out for sure and, if necessary, ring the Carphone Warehouse.

David

Have just come off the phone to Carphone Warehouse who (very helpfully) rang Vodafone as they couldn't make head nor tail of the website either!!

He has confirmed that the original dongles sold with £15 credit that did not expire will continue as before but that the new dongles (mine included) only last for 30 days each top up.

C'est la vie. He readily offered to take the dongle back and give me a full refund.

David

David,

think you answered your own question there.

Suspect the K3565R (R presumably equating to Refresh on the packaging) is coded on the dongle for the newer ones. (mine is simply K3565).

We owners of the original items may well have an appreciating asset - suspect the second-hand market may see an increase in demand! :D

Thanks for the "info" on code numbers, just returned from Tesco with a K3565, for £30.

So there is some stock out there.

Had to ask for one, they were not on display but a data sheet covering the various providers offerings was and that specifically says its 270 days for Vodafone.

Thanks again, Ocsid

Edit: for those not able to get out I see Amazon have it in stock and post free for £28.5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-K3565-Prepay-Mobile-Broadband/dp/B001P6KNQE

Thanks for the link info Ocsid :-)

Just been to Amazon and bought one.

Have been following these dongle threads and debating one for some time now, you and the others that have posted here have just made my mind up.

Cheers ALL

MIN

Yes there are some old stock still out there.

I have just managed to order one for collection from Curry's (just over the road from where I will be returning the 'new' one to Carphone Warehouse tomorrow) for £28.50 - they are normally £34.99 in store.

The information on the website is that this is the K3565 version (1GB pre-loaded) and no time limit on the credit.

I may just have crept in under the bar!!

David

Good work people - well done.

Like many, I find the occasional browsing and email checking while away for the weekend very useful.  But I ain't spending £15 a month for a couple of nights use.

I'm glad to report that Mrs Way2Go and I each have what appears to be a collector's piece for our laptops.  Snap 'em up while you can chaps.

Now, I wonder if we can do something about their appalling web site.  Anyone would think they were in the communications business *-)

david lloyd - 2010-01-22 10:21 PM

Yes there are some old stock still out there.

I have just managed to order one for collection from Curry's (just over the road from where I will be returning the 'new' one to Carphone Warehouse tomorrow) for £28.50 - they are normally £34.99 in store.

The information on the website is that this is the K3565 version (1GB pre-loaded) and no time limit on the credit.

I may just have crept in under the bar!!

David

Try again with short link to Vodafone http://bit.ly/6hCEMp

David

lennyhb - 2010-01-23 11:21 AM

A hero a man who can find useful information on the Vodaphone site.

Lenny

I think if the Vodafone website was easy to navigate I don't think they would have half the questions on their forum! Not that its much comfort but I have found the 3 Network website to be the same!

David

Klyne - 2010-01-23 11:10 AM . . . . Try again with short link to Vodafone http://bit.ly/6hCEMp David

Thanks for the confirmation Klyne.

1GB is no problems for the surfing/emails I do away from home.  I started with £30 at Easter 2009 and still have £26 left and I've used it on every trip we did last year.

I'm not worried about the 'abroad' either as we only usually pop over for a week or long weekend.

Happy surfer again :-)

bakersboy - 2010-01-22 9:12 PM

I was in Vodafone shop today and was told that the "old" one is not usable abroad whereas the "new" one is.

This wasn't what I wanted to hear but may help others.

Stuart

The old one is usable abroad, but it cost me £6.00 for one email :-(

Pete

Archived