Vodafone Dongle Update

lennyhb

breakaleg - 2010-01-23 1:52 PM

bakersboy - 2010-01-22 9:12 PM

I was in Vodafone shop today and was told that the "old" one is not usable abroad whereas the "new" one is.

This wasn't what I wanted to hear but may help others.

Stuart

The old one is usable abroad, but it cost me £6.00 for one email :-(

Pete

Thats because you have to pay the per MB charge which is pretty expensive. What you are not able to do with the older one is take advantage of the £9.99 a day usage with 50MB allowance. That was one of the reasons I initially went for the monthly contract. Its still too expensive!

David

Just come back from Currys with a K3565 Dongle for £28.50

But on getting home looked at back of box its needs Vista/XP etc to run it ,Our laptop has Windows 7 installed ,before i open the box does anyone know if will run on Windows7?

If it doesn.t i have a dongle for sale!

:$

auntyjanet1 - 2010-01-24 3:26 PM Just come back from Currys with a K3565 Dongle for £28.50 But on getting home looked at back of box its needs Vista/XP etc to run it ,Our laptop has Windows 7 installed ,before i open the box does anyone know if will run on Windows7? If it doesn.t i have a dongle for sale! :$

You can still install it on Windows 7.  Just right-click on the .EXE application file and select troubleshoot compatibility.

Now select troubleshoot program, tick the first option (worked on previous versions) followed by Next.

Now tick your choice of Windows version (I'd be inclined to go for XP SP2).

Should work a treat and a lot better than that Vista rubbish.

W2G

Way2Go - 2010-01-24 3:49 PM
auntyjanet1 - 2010-01-24 3:26 PM Just come back from Currys with a K3565 Dongle for £28.50 But on getting home looked at back of box its needs Vista/XP etc to run it ,Our laptop has Windows 7 installed ,before i open the box does anyone know if will run on Windows7? If it doesn.t i have a dongle for sale! :$

You can still install it on Windows 7.  Just right-click on the .EXE application file and select troubleshoot compatibility.

Now select troubleshoot program, tick the first option (worked on previous versions) followed by Next.

W2G

Thanks W2G, I,ll wait till my computer literate son arrives and have a go at installing it (lol)

jakmar - 2010-01-24 9:51 AM

Vodafone themselves are selling the old K3565 Dongle on Amazon at £29 with Free Delivery Here

Looks like they have sold out according to that link but if anyone still wants one they still have them available Vodafone K3565 Prepay USB Mobile Broadband - 1GBhttp://www.assoc-amazon.co.uk/e/ir?t=smallmocampin-21&l=as2&o=2&a=B001P6KNQE

£28.50 and free delivery.

We use Vodfone and a couple of weeks ago i received a call from them asking how many laptops we have. 2 was my answer and they offered 2 dongles f.o.c incl useage!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that my son can use the internet on his mobile foc and they gave us world roaming after seeing how many calls we make while abroad.

Dennis *-)

auntyjanet1 - 2010-01-24 5:16 PM
Way2Go - 2010-01-24 3:49 PM

W2G

Thanks W2G, I,ll wait till my computer literate son arrives and have a go at installing it (lol)
Hi ClifffIf you haven't tried loading the vodafone dongle yet give it a go. Armed with Way2Go's instructions I simply plugged it in and it loaded automatically onto our Windows 7 notebook despite saying on the box that it was for Windows XP.David

Mr. Grumpy - 2010-01-22 8:52 PM

MIN663, ditto. Now I shall be interested to see what actually arrives, whether it has a R suffix!

Mr Grumpy,

mine arrived yesterday had it up and running today . :-)

As ordered K3565 1GB £15.00 top up.

Cheers Min

• 2 weeks later...
david lloyd - 2010-01-28 4:11 PM

auntyjanet1 - 2010-01-24 5:16 PM

Way2Go - 2010-01-24 3:49

Hi Clifff

If you haven't tried loading the vodafone dongle yet give it a go. Armed with Way2Go's instructions I simply plugged it in and it loaded automatically onto our Windows 7 notebook despite saying on the box that it was for Windows XP.

David

Hi W2G/David

No problem to load Vodaphone dongle on to Windows 7 it loaded automatically whithout any fuss thanks for the info and help

:-)

GJH - 2010-01-21 10:55 PM

My T-Mobile dongle contract is up next month so I got an unlock code (free) from them and took up the free SIMs offer from Three.

With every top-up (£10 initially on registering credit card but from £5 subsequently) I get a 150MB allowance which has a 90 day life.

The credit never runs out (so long as you use the device at least once every 180 days) and can be used to buy Internet access bundles including 50p for one day and £2.50 for a week - enough to cover us for use when away probably.

I'm also transferring to PAYG on T-Mobile but still waiting to see what deals are available.

My cell phone is Vodafone PAYG. I can link to the netbook using USB or Bluetooth and access the Internet for 50p per day or (now I have the unlock code) put the SIM in the dongle and use it that way for the same 50p charge.

With all that lot I should be able to obtain a decent signal wherever we are away in the van.

Graham

Your post interested me Graham as I too had a contract with T-Mobile which ended in October. I was charged £15 to unlock the dongle (plus a visit to one of their outlets) only to be told that that particular dongle (E220) would not work with their PAYG tariff. They eventually refunded the £15 after I complained. So, have you tried using the dongle with another SIM yet? I am in a very bad reception area at the moment so cannot try it myself but I would be interested in your progress.

Also what is the free SIM offer with 3 as a relative is looking to renew a PAYG card with them?

To add to the confusion with all these different dongles etc. I have just renewed my contract with 3 (on 50% discount terms) and have received their updated dongle/modem (E5870) for which I have yet to obtain any kind of signal although I am using my old 3 dongle in a router to post to this thread! Like Dave Newall on another thread they may well be having it back!

They wanted to charge me £15 as well Patricia but I flatly refused on the grounds that I could obtain a new dongle from Three for less than £15 (and dump the T-Mobile dongle meaning that T-Mobile would have no chance of obtaining ongoing revenue from me). I had also complained that I had been told when I signed my contract that T-Mobile were going to combine their network with Three to give better coverage - and that they had broken the contract because they had not done so. Maybe I got the code for nothing because I'm just good at complaining :-)

The unlock code was sent to me by e-mail (and letter) together with instructions for downloading software to do the job without going to one of their shops.

The free SIM offer from Three is at http://www.three.co.uk/Home.

Since unlocking the dongle I've tried it with both my Three SIM and my Vodafone SIM and been successful in connecting with both. All it needed was to set up alternative connection parameters in the Web 'n' Walk management software.

I've subsequently decided not to go onto PAYG with T-Mobile as they can only offer a daily rate of £2 for Internet access (as opposed to the 50p maximum for Vodafone and Three (or £2.50 for a week with Three). I'm not going to pay 4 times what I need to. T-Mobile's loss not mine - and I've sent their MD (MDTMOB@t-mobile.co.uk) a message telling him so

>:-)

Graham

Hi All,

Ordered Vodafone dongle K3565, Wednesday morning from Amazom at £24.99 including postage and also includes £15 credit, Special delivery by Royal Mail, received this morning. Works fine on Windows 7, just plug in and follow instructions.

Thankyou everyone for this info on the K3565

Regards

Alan

Archived