Where Can We Stop?

zaria123

Not sure if this question is easily answerable, but worth asking.

We are collecting our newly purchased Motorhome from the Hemel Hempstead area, and will be driving it to the Holyhead Ferry to bring it home to Ireland.

We would be leaving Hemel Hempstead around 8pm on a Sunday night, so would be looking for somewhere we could stop and sleep over ready to set off early the next day.

The question really is - Are there any suitable areas to stop?

Google maps seems to take us M45 to M69 to M6.

Any ideas would be most helpful, being newbies to this we don't want to stop somewhere considered illegal!

Cheers

Alan

From Hemel don't bother with the M45, stay on the M1 until you get to the M6, if you are feeling flush & travelling during the day take the M6 Toll.

Can't help with recommending anywhere to stop but might be worth asking the dealer if you can spend the night in his compound. There is a big Tesco at Hemel you could wild camp there shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday night.

By car Hemel is about 4 hours from Holly Head but allow a bit longer in a van.

You really need to get to a site before 8 pm. Both the major clubs do not accept arrivals after 8pm without special arrangements or being on their late arrivals area if they have one.

Also on your first stay you'll want to set up pitch in the light.

There is a Caravan Clubsite (Breakspear Way) 2 miles east of Hemel Hempsteasd but without loos, washbasins and showers.

I suggest you look on the CC and Camping and Caravanning Club websites to see where sites which would be suitable are located. If you find something could then book a pitch (You may wish to join one of the cklubs to save paying non-members fees. The BW site is only for CC members.)

Alternatively google campsites near Hemel hempsterad and see what you come up with.

All the best. Enjoy motorhoming.

zaria123 - 2010-01-21 10:49 PM

Is it possible to stop at any Motorway Service areas overnight?

Similar to the ones HGV's use?

Thanks for the previous info

You'll have to pay and would you really feel safe and consider that you'd get a good night's sleep?

In almost 8 years of campervanning we have never considered this option and wouldn't want to.

I'm sure that you can find somewhere more suitable to enjoy your first night in your motorhome. However, it's up to you.

Hello Alan,

In your position, following the hand over by the dealer, I would want to spend several hours at the dealer's premises going over every part of the van, inside and out, quietly and calmly on my own, checking that all is as I would want it to be. Then, especially in view of the distance of your home from the dealer, I would spend at least 1 night, and preferably more, on a site close to the dealer to check that everything works satisfactorily under "real" conditions. If any faults are found it is then a simple and inexpensive trip back to the dealer to get it put right rather than a return from Ireland.

If you look at the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club websites you should find sites fairly close to Hemlel, for example the CCC at Hertford is open all year but a short distance away from your direction of travel to Ireland.

It was not clear from your post, but if you are a beginner at motorhoming, please do not underestimate the capacity for dealers to hand over vans with signifant or multiple faults or the likelihood that the manufacturer lacks adequate quality control or even the will to be bothered to get it right. I suspect there are good dealers and makers out there, the trick is finding them....

Good luck with your new van.

Bob

Hi , 2 options in Hemel area. Caravan club site in Hemel itself at Breakspear way Buncefield lane tel 01442 286466

or Caravan club CL at Balmers, Vicarage road Wigginton Tring tel 01442 822850

If you new van is on fiat or peugeot chassis DON'T accept it until you have driven it backwards up a hill to check for reverse gear judder problem

INSIST dealer demonstrates it in reverse before paying any money

Read all the reverse judder info on this forum and make your mind up

tonyg3nwl

Hi, Again thanks for all he info.

Yes the motorhome is 2002 and purchased privately, although we arranged a detailed 300 point inspection on the vehicle (base vehicle and habitation...damp, equipment testing etc) before agreeing to buy it.

We are alittle limited on time because of unforeseen work commitments due to a lot of staff ilness around, so we have no option but to do this over a 2 period.

Ideally we'd like to find somewhere to stop on route to the boat (without having to detour too far off track).

We had factored in a couple of hours with the person selling the van before we head off.

Thanks

Alan

Having had another ponder about this, I think there are only two realistic options if the Sunday 8pm start-time is 'fixed' and an overnight stop is required.

The first would be to overnight on a motorway service area between Hemel Hempstead and Birmingham and leave as early as possible the following morning. Not much fun, but safe enough.

The second would be to complete the motorway part of the journey, get on to the A5 beyond Telford (which I'd guess is the logical route to Holyhead) and then overnight in one of the villages on the way. By then it should be late enough on Sunday night for nobody to bother much where you stopped. I think this would be my choice.

Of course, this time of year, the weather will be an unpredictable factor...

Hi Yes probably sounds the best ideas.

Google maps is sticking to the motorways:

M1 from hemel Hempstead, on the the M6 passing Birmingham, right up as far as the junction close to Warrington to join the M56 passing Chester then along the north of Wales stright to Holyhead.

The route Via Telford certainly looks more direct and is about 22 miles less, but google is saying 10 minutes longer driving.

I think a break from the motorways would be a preferred option if the weather way ok.

Google is estimating approx 4 hours 33 / 43 minutes to travel 267miles on the motorway / 245 miles vai Telford.

Is that realistic in a motorhome, I sort of doubt that it is.

Thanks again

Alan

zaria123 - 2010-01-22 11:06 AM

Hi Yes probably sounds the best ideas.

M1 from hemel Hempstead, on the the M6 passing Birmingham, right up as far as the junction close to Warrington to join the M56 passing Chester then along the north of Wales stright to Holyhead.

The route Via Telford certainly looks more direct and is about 22 miles less, but google is saying 10 minutes longer driving.

I think a break from the motorways would be a preferred option if the weather way ok.

Google is estimating approx 4 hours 33 / 43 minutes to travel 267miles on the motorway / 245 miles vai Telford.

Is that realistic in a motorhome, I sort of doubt that it is.

Thanks again

Alan

Sounds a bit optimistic to me.

If you do use the M6 past Birmingham that is almost always congested, even if you keep moving - might be a bit better late evening.

You could always use the M6 TOLL road but I seem to recall ( from last summer) that that was about £8 for a van.

zaria123 - 2010-01-22 11:06 AM

Thanks again

Alan

Done the Holyhead route loads of times in a car and and a Transit van this is by far the best route it is well worth taking the M6 Toll around Birmingham will save at least ½ hour and a lot more if M6 is busy.

Using M6 toll 4 hours to Holyhead from Hemel in a car, should take less than 5 hours in a Motorhome allowing for a quick pit stop.

I would definitely stick to the motorways if you are new to this for your 1st journey, by night in the dark. Get used to the van before going the 'shortest' route as satnavs can take you up some horrendous roads-especially in Wales-I speak from experience!. If you go up the M1, M6, M56 and then along the A55 it is dual carriageway all the way. There are a number of places you can overnight along the North Wales coast or even down by the beach at Abergele or Rhos on sea. You then have a shortish run straight through to Holyhead in daylight

Failing this, you can overnight at Chester services on the M56 for about £5 if you prefer

Safe journey

Mike

If you are going along the motorway you could use the services, but if you go along the A5 there are lots of small sites, called CL/Cs sites that are for members of the two main clubs. They are usually run by farmers or next to pubs and are supposed to be only for members but neither farmers or pub owners will turn away business these days. Why not try one of those. They usually cost less than a tenner,a dn most have hook ups etc.

They are easy to spot because they have a small sign outside them with a Camping & Caravan Club or Caravan Club logo on.

Tomo3090 - 2010-01-24 4:13 PM

If you are going along the motorway you could use the services, but if you go along the A5 there are lots of small sites, called CL/Cs sites that are for members of the two main clubs. They are usually run by farmers or next to pubs and are supposed to be only for members but neither farmers or pub owners will turn away business these days. Why not try one of those. They usually cost less than a tenner,a dn most have hook ups etc.

They are easy to spot because they have a small sign outside them with a Camping & Caravan Club or Caravan Club logo on.

So Tommo you are encouraging someone to use facilities that are for members who have paid to join the clubs that advertise and support these CL/CS sites.

If this becomes widespread then there is a risk that at certain times members won't be able to get a pitch because of the abuse of the rules by

non-members and some CL/CSowners.

CL/CS owners are expected to ask to see membership cards.

Are you aware that breaching CL/CS conditions is a reason why such a site may lose its status and possibly be closed?

Or aren't you bothered by either of these possibilities?

Tomo3090 - 2010-01-24 4:13 PM

So Tommo you are encouraging someone to use facilities that are for members who have paid to join the clubs that advertise and support these CL/CS sites.

If this becomes widespread then there is a risk that at certain times members won't be able to get a pitch because of the abuse of the rules by

non-members and some CL/CSowners.

CL/CS owners are expected to ask to see membership cards.

Are you aware that breaching CL/CS conditions is a reason why such a site may lose its status and possibly be closed?

Or aren't you bothered by either of these possibilities?

Are we sure about these suggestions that zaria123 use the A5 and stop at a small site along the way.

The A5 is a grand drive, but really quite a slow route, and if he leaves Hemel at around 8.0pm, he will be on the A5 at some time around 9.30pm, maybe able to find a site by 10.00pm, wake up farmer and enquire about vacant pitches by 10.30pm, explain to the missus that what she thought were swear words were in fact ethnic Welsh greetings and kind thoughts about his parents by 11.00pm, get back to the M6 by 11.30pm and drive on to the service area at which he can stop and get some sleep before catching the ferry next morning.

Of course it is lovely to wander gently along the highways and byways, stopping at an idylic(that's spelt wrong) little camp site, take time to chat to the farmer and perhaps buy a few eggs or some rape seed oil or something, before setting off to wander a little further along life's gentle road.

But if you have only 48 hours to travel hundreds of miles, pick up your new motorhome, and get back home, you best bet is to pile up the motorway, stopping on one of the service areas for some sleep, and get home in good time. Then you can sit back and dream of the wonderful trips you will be making soon.

AGD

CHESTER: "Roodee Car Park it is just by the Chester law courts and opposite the race course. It costs £1.50 from 6pm to 9am then just the daily parking fee. We have used it a couple of times with no problems. It’s unusual not to see ‘vans parked there. There are no services. The site is locked at midnight and unlocked at 0830, there’re 24-hour surveillance camera's.

There are new toilets and a good café. It’s a 5min walk into Chester. Davies Fish & Chip shop is in Lower Bridge St. There’s an excellent cycle way running from the car park along the river."

This information is not mine - I took it off another website about 2 years ago - and I have not actually used the facility. But I thought it may be of interest. You could always phone Chester Tourist Office for the latest information.

Regards Cattwg :-)

Mel, let's be honest the people who run the small sites are just trying to make a living and at this time of the year are they really going to be turning people away?

Anyway I've yet to stop at a CL/CS site yet that either checks my membership card, OR turns away the sixth van to pull up!

As for them losing their licence, who is going to go to the bother of reporting them, making some sort of official statement and then enjoying the idea they've removed a source of income from someone providing a service to motorhomes & caravans. I know the world has it's share of petty minded people who live and die by every rule and regulation, but I can't believe we're part of that club!

Guys, thankyou for all the advice, and hopefully no-one is going to fall out over some of the replies 8-)

I have to agree with tomo3090 and archiesgrandad in their last post.

This is really a matter of getting the motorhome back the fastest and most convenient way without detouring off route very much if at all.

We intend once home to get to know the in-depth details of our motorhome over the following weeks, and taking regular shorter trips 'using' the vehicle for the purpose intended, before we go all out touring. (I've driven a Peugeot Boxer before and we are used to Horse Lorrys back home so it should be reasonaly familiar territory)

We will however be returning to mainland UK later this year when we attend the 40th Anniversary Rally for the Bond Bug (which will be attached on a small trailer behind us).

With regard to the Clubs, we would of course intend joining the Clubs and using their approved sites if we thought it were useful. At the moment the intended stops later this year with various car rallys are on dedicated sites which have been reserved for the rallys.

Hopefully, no-one will disagree too much over using Club Sites, and can all enjoy a fun and happy year motorhoming.

Cheers

Alan

Archived