Murvi Morello 2.3litres or 3.0litres?

jaymaycee

Hi

We're about to finalise our order for our new Murvi

Still not completely sure about engine size

One thing we weren't able to get round to was test drive but as we are buying more for the camper than for the vehicle and we more wanted a comfortable camping experience than driving experience it didn't seem vitally necessary

Of course test driving might have made this decision easier:

Do we have a higher mpg and go for 2.3 and not quite as much power or more power and lower mpg and go for 3??

we are used to old under powered vehicles ( a VW with a top motorway downhill speed of 65 to 70) so I am guessing that probably a 2.3 will be better than that?

we're used to?

Anybody got any thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jaymaycee and welcome to the forum.

In view of the fact that the price of fuel is never going to go down it seems like a good idea to go for the more economic engine.

As far as power is concerned I suppose it does depend a bit on where you plan to go. Most of the time the 2.3 should be more than enough, but maybe someone else can advise on how well it would do in the Alps or Pyrenees. I would think a modern 2.3 engine would have no problems there.

( Mine is a 2.8: on motorways I have to keep lifting my right foot to stay under the limit, and mountains have been no problem).

Good choice of van by the way !

Like Lenny we run our Burstner at 3500kg most of the time when in Europe and using cruise control average 30mpg. The only time we would need a bit more poke is on the long up hill drags coming back to Calais, it's the only time we need to drop a cog on motorways. Our 2.3 is actually an Iveco motor and I'm not sure if this still applies to the X250 but someone else will be along soon to clarify this!

I hate to mention this but if I don't someone else will. The word is "judder".

It appear that new 2.3 litre X250's have been modified to eliminate judder but new 3 litre engined vehicles (unless you opt for the automatic option)seem to suffer from judder and Fiat refuse to acknowledge the existence of the problem.

I have opted for the 3 litre purely because I want an auto but if I wanted a manual then it would be the 2.3 for me.

No contest, the 3ltr is superior in every respect, if you can afford it then go for it the power output is well on top of its job and you will be pleasantly surprised with the fuel consumption. The engine has chain driven timing unlike the 2.3 which is belt driven. I own a 3ltr manual and I have no regrets whatsoever. People talk about judder but how often are you going to reverse up a 1 in 5 mountain track?

I have the Morello 3ltr automatic and its great to drive and gives better mpg than the others, if you can afford it go for it, BUT whatever you do base it on the MAXI CHASSIS which will ensure you have a good payload and you will avoid front axle over load problems. That said it’s a great motor home.

rolandrat - 2010-01-24 1:04 PM

People talk about judder but how often are you going to reverse up a 1 in 5 mountain track?

I think it depends where you live. In my area (Devon) I would say that very many motorhomers have a 1 in 5 incline to negotiate just to get in and out of their drive.

I'm glad there is no fuel penalty though as I have not yet taken delivery of my 3 litre and was wondering what fuel consumption would be like.

Lets hope that Murvi have sourced their 2.3 Fiat van 'Post April 2009' which is when 'Euroserve' says that Fiat started fitting the 'new improved' lower ratio reverse gear ratio's and Box to hold it ?

I would go for the 3 litre WITH the automatic box, for peace of mind.

Why arent Fiat themselves more OPEN about the start of 'The Improved' versions of Gearbox ? (sorry, offthread). regards Ray

Ps my driveway in Wales is 1 in 4 and I have to reverse up it every time after the van has been out. Without any problems. A Modern van should be able to do the same.

My 3ltr will take some time to reach the fully run in stage which at that point will give a true mpg, as of now I'm more than happy with 25mpg on a tight engine. It must be remembered that they are commercial vehicles basically and are running up to maximum payload. One car I use is an old Peugeot common rail which is only just run in at 40.000 miles and is returning over 60mpg, the other is a Volkswagon Golf 2ltr commonrail with 6000 miles on the clock and I know it will be tight for the forseeable future and at the moment is returning over 55mpg so I'm not complaining.

When I bought my Burstner Solano in 2007 there was a 6 month wait for a 3 litre so reluctantly I opted for a 2.3 off the shelf now so glad I did bags of power in our 3500kg 7.2 metres.

Will cruise at legal limits all day.When pushing it 70/80 23 to the gallon take it easy 50/60 and I get 28/29.

I have to say the vehicle is a pleasure to drive mine has had the full gearbox mods and is not perfect but acceptable the same can't be said for the 3 litre unless you go for comformatic but jury still out on that.

How can anyone who doesn't own or ever driven a 3ltr X250 manual transmission Fiat give an opinion on juddering, I own one and yes it does have a higher than usual reverse gear but it is acceptable. I don't go looking for steep hills to reverse up but if I come accross one I'm confident my motorhome will do what is expected of it. The engine was originally designed for the American Hummer combat vehicle and is rated for vehicles up to 6.5 tonnes. Don't knock it until you have experienced it.

Thank you so much everyone this is very helpful

counting up i think it's 5 for the 2.3l and 3 for the 3l

it seems from what you're saying that if we go for the 3 litre then probably opt for automatic

So our choice is 2.3 manual or 3 litre automatic,

haven't had a great experience with automatics

At the moment we think we more want to do UK, particularly scotland, and scandinavia, i also can't imagine us driving for hours on end just to get to a destination, we'd nearly always take the scenic route and stop on the way

so probably our best bet is the 2.3 manual and definitely the maxi van

still just a little niggle that when we're fully loaded with four mostly adult children (we're all good sized people!- not light weights) in the back if they want a free ride to edinburgh in august we'll still be willing it up the hills and wishing we'd got a 3l?

Jan

we have a fiat 2.3 6 speed box its a swift mondial panelvan its had the judderwork done successfully      3500 weight it flies up long gradients on motorways in 6th at the speed limit and above .with full water tanks and wife's clothes .i have owned two x250  but never driven the 3.0 .next time you are on the motorway and white van man flys past you fully loaded just take note he is probly in a 2.3 .

One further point to consider if you go for the 3ltr is significantly reduced payload as a result of the heavier engine. Depends on what you want to take with you, but you may need the Maxi chassis?

I think it's only worth considering 3.0l if you need an "automatic".

Power and performance on my 2.3l Morello perfectly adequate.

I would stick with this again when ordering a replacement.

Clive

PS

Why is it called a 2.3l when I believe it is only fractionally over 2.2l??

I agree with Clive, if you are going to have a few extras fitted such as Awning, tow bar, TV etc and carry four adults when in holiday mode ( full fuel, water, LPG and personal belongings) then you will need the Maxi Chassis. The advantage also being that should you want to upgrade to use its full payload potential later on then with the Maxi its only a paper exercise.

John

jaymaycee - 2010-01-24 8:19 PM

Thank you so much everyone this is very helpfull

still just a little niggle that when we're fully loaded with four mostly adult children (we're all good sized people!- not light weights) in the back if they want a free ride to edinburgh in august we'll still be willing it up the hills and wishing we'd got a 3l?

Jan

Jan, looks like you want to carry yourself + husband/partner plus 4 children ----

This makes a total of 6 passengers - You will be ILLEGAL & DANGEROUS without the provision of 6 seatbelts and the appropriate forward facing seats.

So your choice is A) limit the passengers: B) look at a different Van/Motorhome.

So stay safe, and make sure that your choice covers your needs.

Good luck Mike

My Morello has the full complement of seatbelts:

Driver

Front Passenger

Bench seat (rotates and locks in a forward-facing position): 1 x lap/diagonal + 2 x lap

Reat fixed seat: lap/diagonal

This gives a total of driver + 5 passengers

Clive

jaymaycee - 2010-01-24 8:19 PM ............ definitely the maxi van still just a little niggle that when we're fully loaded with four mostly adult children (we're all good sized people!- not light weights) in the back if they want a free ride to edinburgh in august we'll still be willing it up the hills and wishing we'd got a 3l? Jan

Good job you've gone for the maxi chassis then!  At a rough guess, you'll be carrying around half a tonne of people, so any scope for camping etc gear may become somewhat restricted!  I also echo the warnings re seat belts, check with Murvi on how these are arranged and whether it is possible to get six properly belted seats.

I'd also suggest you explore with Murvi to availability of the Fiat Camping Car Package (basically extended warranty terms) on their vans.  It should be available, but some contributors were having great problems with Fiat over its applicability to their, specifically Murvi, vans.  It seems the source from which Murvi was acquiring their vans was not registering them as destined for motorhome conversion, so they merely sold, and were logged by Fiat, as "normal" panel vans that are not entitled to this extra cover.  I seem to remember Fiat refusing to re-register the vans once converted, presumably because there is an extra cost to the extended warranty package that is not included for a standard van.

I ask yet again.

If the 3 litre has the same engine, gearbox and clutch in manual and auto form then how come the auto does not judder and the manual does?

It can only mean that the auto does a better job of slipping the clutch than a human driver and this means either...

a) That FIAT are quite right in blaming the judder on driver error, or

b) That the clutch is not going to last very long as a result of slippage.

Which is it?

Archived