Murvi Morello 2.3litres or 3.0litres?

jaymaycee

As I understand it the reverse gear problem on the X2/50 chassis' is due wholly to the fact that the reverse gear is too high.

The 'old' style (2005) Fiat Ducato 2.8l we have just replaced went faster backwards in reverse on tickover than it did in first goinf forwards! There was little option but to slip the clutch when reversing in tight spaces but I never had to test it reversing up a 1:4 slope - taht would have been interesting.

In contrast, whilst we have only covered 700 miles in the new 3.0l Comfortmatic panel van conversion I have to say there is absolutely no evidence of poor reversing - whether that be judder, shudder, burning, grating, clonking...................

It really is a lovely combination of power and smooth gear changing with quite good (for a not yet run in engine) fuel consumption figure of 27 mpg fully loaded.

So far I am more than happy with this choice but would not have chosed any of the other combinations just yet if it had not been available.

David

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an apology to make to you. On the 30th Jan on this thread I gave some incorrect info. I had a conversation with Fiats Customer Services manager again today and it would appear that when I thought he was talking about camper assist he was actually talking about the third year warranty.

He now confirms that Camper Assist is NOT available to every one who owns a Fiat Motorhome. Only to the customers of converters selected by Fiat it matters not a jot it it’s a PVC or a coach built.

I did point out that Fiats advert still states “Exclusive European Customer Centre for the Ducato motorhome owner” and that it really should carry the caveat “available for Fiat Motorhomes from selected converters only” as it misleadingly gave the impression that all new Fiat Motorhome owners would benefit.

I apologise again for misleading you all

John

I have an apology to make to you. On the 30th Jan on this thread I gave some incorrect info. I had a conversation with Fiats Customer Services manager again today and it would appear that when I thought he was talking about camper assist he was actually talking about the third year warranty.

He now confirms that Camper Assist is NOT available to every one who owns a Fiat Motorhome. Only to the customers of converters selected by Fiat it matters not a jot it it’s a PVC or a coach built.

I did point out that Fiats advert still states “Exclusive European Customer Centre for the Ducato motorhome owner” and that it really should carry the caveat “available for Fiat Motorhomes from selected converters only” as it misleadingly gave the impression that all new Fiat Motorhome owners would benefit.

I apologise again for misleading you all

John

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just to let all you helpful people know we've had our new murvi morello 2.3 manual, (maxi van) with extra payload) for couple of weeks now and it's brilliant. Sails along effortlessly haven't noticed juddering etc and had the whole family (6 of us altogether) in there legally, belted in with a couple of bikes on the back too.

Ours is paganini ivory (NOT beige) with duck egg blue seat covers and cushions in bright green and orange.

Rex was sceptical about colour choice when we chose but he said it was inspired when we picked it up.

Guest JudgeMental
Meadows Engine - 2010-06-25 4:38 PM

Glad you went for the Maxi,

They should all be on a 3500kg maxi chassis according to the excellent German Promobil magazine. They tested 3 PVC's and all overweight on front axle with just 2 people and their stuff *-)

I was surprised to see a lot of the 3 litre autos for sale in Germany are only on 3300kg chassis :-S

I am thinking of a used 2010 van, the 2.3 is probably more then good enough...but concerns re "JUDDER" are pushing me towards the auto but these are scarce and more expensive..... Opinions please!

I doubt if there is much difference in running cost? *-)

Our May 2010 Morello is on the 2.3 litre Maxi chassis and after eleven hundred miles and twenty five nights camping we are more than happy.

We reckon it is as powerful if not more so than our previous much loved 2.8 litre Jtd and a lot smoother. No sign of judder so far and we see no need for the 3 litre in this world of speedlimits unless you need an automatic.

After the blue Morello in this months MMM We are glad to see another member of the "Any colour than white or silver Club" in Jaymaycee's Paganini Ivory model. Our choice? Brazilian yellow with cornflower blue interior. Rex said it would attract the flies but we have to give him some variety in his life!! Anyway the colour scheme is politically correct!

Archived