Fiats Orange /yellow Padlock sign

michele

Michele. If you had sensor problem on the engine or an engine fault the engine symbol would be illuminated not the padlock symbol.

From memory, when turning teh ignition on if it is prmanently on it means you key code has not been recogised and yo wil not be bale to start the engine (immobilised).

If it flashes, it means it has detected a problem but you can still start he engine, Basically means engine immobilisation is not functioning.

After the engine is started if it illuminates I think it means it is in self test or has subsequently detected a fault. A low voltage even for a short time can initiate the self test. If all is ok it should go out again. This can happen if for example you have a bad battery that initially after starting is pulling the voltage down as it replaces the energy used for starting...might even be something as simple as a slipping alterator drive belt (unlikely as it has an auto tensoner on it, but could be jamming)). So unlikely you are going to cause any damage. But you could end up immobilsed permanently. Try a different key fob and see if the fault still occcurs, and get it checked by a garage who knows what they are doing.

Jon.

Hi Had that problem on our new Peugeot Nuevo! Don't know what caused it, but by the time we had broken down (wouldn't start), had it checked under warranty, had a new pulley, belt, alternator and battery, it no longer appears. Could be a charging fault?

Had same thing on our last van. It indicated that the battery was nearly discharged. Turned out battery was shot, new one fitted and it stopped. So check battery and fan belt and that alternator is charging by dash board light going out when running.

Michele

We had a problem with our immobiliser, but our van didn't start, it was an intermittent fault.

I did post on the forum, people were helpful but we ended up taking the van to the local Fiat dealer garage. They changed the box at somewhere like £300 if I remember correctly but the problem still occurred. In the end Chris realised that he was putting is hand completely round the key fob and thus the signal wasn't getting to the box. Now he holds the key delicately between finger and thumb and we have not had a recurrence.

Minstrel - 2010-01-26 11:53 PM

Michele

We had a problem with our immobiliser, but our van didn't start, it was an intermittent fault.

I did post on the forum, people were helpful but we ended up taking the van to the local Fiat dealer garage. They changed the box at somewhere like £300 if I remember correctly but the problem still occurred. In the end Chris realised that he was putting is hand completely round the key fob and thus the signal wasn't getting to the box. Now he holds the key delicately between finger and thumb and we have not had a recurrence.

You will be getting Michele worried now, it is very unlikely to be the box as her engine starts fine, it is after it has started the light comes on and probbaly due to it detecting a problem so self testing. It is most likely low battery voltage related and I think Peter above is closest to the probable reason.

Michele, let us know how you get on, and worth while, even just to eliminate it is to get the battery voltage checked 1st as simple and easy.

Jon.

Guys thanks so much.

If i am honest I really am sick of it .

In Nov after waiting for much needed respite we ended up both very ill stuck in Brugge and didnt manage to get any further we ventured out of the camper for one meal and both ended up back in the Aire at Brugge stuck again for the next two days, only when we recovered we had to drive and find another new Battery from Bologne .

Derek Kindly helped us last year all we ever seem to do in this thing is change the battery its only just 4 years old and at this rate its had batteries at both ends every year so far .

As far as I know that one isnt very old just so sick of it whats the point .

I need to take it for its MOT and the way I feel it could rot on the drive for all I care it just seems to be one problem after the other .

In the beginning it seemed a fantastic way to get away especially with the kids but we now find being so busy with the kids we dont seem to get the time to keep popping out and fixing the damm thing .

Anyway guys atleast I know I wont do any damage I will book the MOT and take it there as its booked through a friend I will get him to do the fault finder thing on it .

Thanks again so much for the replies .

Archived