Motorhome Waste Bin

whbs

Taken by the neat slim waste bins which are fitted just inside the door on new caravans and motorhomes. Does anyone know where one can buy one? The only ones I can find on the net are either larger or take a supermarket bag on view.

If the ones yo're thinking of are the same as the one on the door of my AT Cheyenne, I couldn't recommend them. Difficult to secure the waste bag & even more difficult to remove when full. The old 1/2 bucket shape on my last (2003) Cheyenne was much more functional

Mike P

Guest JudgeMental
we have one of the fold flat type that take a supermarket plastic bag and has a lid. works OK, and fitted on side of kitchen unit by door

If you were married to my missus, you will know that you need two bins. One for recycled waste, and the other for the non recycled waste. We have two in our Hymer. They take up a lot of cupboard space. EWhwn we are away for a few days, she brings the recycled waste home if the campsite won't recycle it. I draw the line at carrying a week of recycled waste in the van though.

Like the look of the Brabantia.

We have found that bins on doors can be a right pain, if they stick out it is easy to get caught on them when going in/out of the van, they can also make the door heavy.

We use a bin that 'lives' in our washroom in a nice little spot next to the toilet, we got it from Ikea in France (I think!) but you can probably get them here, it has a removable lid with flap which clips onto the base and secures a refuse bag/carrier bag. When we got it, we could also have bought a door mount which it sat on, but we didnt' need it.

As an aside regarding recycling, when we were on a campsite in Belgium a few years ago, they didn't allow you to leave any rubbush at all - nothing! It was expected that you would take it all home with you ... the fact that we were touring around and from the UK didn't make any difference so we had to cart it off when we left and dispose of it elsewhere - I don't think they'd thought about people who weren't staying their for the full holiday and then going straight back home. 8-)

We use a collapsible bin that takes a carrier bag as a liner. It compresses into a flat disc about 10" diameter and about half an inch thick, secured by a couple of thin elastic strips. Release the elastic and it springs up into its full size. Can't remember where we bought it though.

Regards

We have a neat little plastic thing which takes plastic shopping bags, and is freestanding, and folds up when not in use. Can't recall where we bought it, nor what it cost, but love it because it is light and very convenient.

The big problem is Plastic Bags. They are regarded as nearly as bad as terrorism in France, and frowned upon in the UK, so I now have to make elicit purchases when Cosmopolitan Girl isn't looking and hoard the bags for use in the van.

How much longer will we be able to get the bags, or will some enterprising person realise that there is a market for special, expensively produced bags, to enable us to keep using them for our rubbish?

AGD

Brock - 2010-01-25 6:40 PM

If you were married to my missus, you will know that you need two bins. One for recycled waste, and the other for the non recycled waste. We have two in our Hymer. They take up a lot of cupboard space. EWhwn we are away for a few days, she brings the recycled waste home if the campsite won't recycle it. I draw the line at carrying a week of recycled waste in the van though.

They take up a bit of space but it's a great system wouldn't be without it, ones on the door are a right pain in the butt.

747 - 2010-01-27 12:21 AM

We have well behaved dogs and only need a plastic bag hanging from a hook which is placed in a convenient position.

Our dogs are well behaved but they are still dogs and as such are tempted by the smell of food. As one of them (Romy) is a rescue dog, food used to play a big part in her daily routine when in the dog shelter and was one of the highlights of her day, so obviously there's no way on earth she's going to leave a bin alone! I also prefer to have the bin at a suitable height and easily accessible so that when I'm cooking etc I can put stuff into it without scrabbling about to try to get in it as can be the case with carrier bags - I'd have to put it up so high it' would be unusable anyway as Romy can't half jump! I don't want to have a bag hanging around at head height and swinging around whilst we travel.

I'll stick to my bin - it also means that if anything 'leaks' in the bag (not all bags are 100% watertight at the bottom) it won't make a mess anywhere but in the easily cleaned container.

Oh, another neat trick - Romy likes tissues, she is very adept to being able to get her nose into all sorts of places to hoyk them out ... I used to wonder what my dressing gown was always doing on the floor, until I realised she was able to shake it so it came off the hook on the back of the bedroom door! She did have a go at the toilet roll once ... Andrex moment ... but she soon learnt that was a definite no no. Unfortunately our other dog, Lily, also likes tissues and once day I found her in the lounge happily pulling them out of the box and hiding them around the room .... little s*d!

8-)

Hi Mel B,

My remark was not intended to sound smug, which it may have come across as such. I know what you mean but mine are not food orientated in that way.

If we have something left on our plates, we will offer it to the dogs. If they eat it then the potential problem has disappeared.

If we leave them for an hour or so to have a meal or a drink in the evening, we carry things like pigs ears etc., which takes a bit of time for them to devour. We also leave some complete food out for them.

A good run is the best solution for a peaceful life.

We try as far as possible to dispose of the plastic bag in the evening. That is for the smell as much as anything. At one time it was possible to get perfumed pedal bin liner bags but we have not found any recently. They were quite useful.

Nappy sacks are also very handy. We use them for cleaning up after the dogs and they do not leak, so are good for gooey food scraps.

• 5 years later...
Mike Moore - 2015-12-29 11:56 AM

Hi

There are many skip bin hire companies that can provide solution to your problem. In my opinion you must contact the North Side Skip bin as they are the one that provide tremendous services. You can contact them via https://www.northsideskipbins.com.au/

I fitted one of your lovely white skips to the door of my motorhome, unfortunately when it was only half full. My van fell onto it's side,and now we are unable to exit by the door. Please come and collect your skip,so we can get out for the New Year. Happy new Spam Sandwich to you.

Ozzy Spam at that!

Archived