Remis type blinds on a Transit

spospe

Has anyone fitted the concertina Remis (or similar) blinds to the cab windows of a MK7 Transit and if so what problems if any did they find?

I have heard stories of them rattling when driving and not keeping much light out. Any personal feedback will be much welcomed.

Derek, thanks for the feedback. I will have another go with the search, but of late I have found that it has proven useless when trying to look back over a period of a year (too much data to search?).

What I would really like, is to hear from someone who has actually fitted the blinds to a MK7 Transit (with standard mirror arms) and what problems with visibility, noise and insulation they encountered.

I have them fitted to my van.

To make the front ones easier to close I removed the interior rearview mirror. I have no back window so no see through anyway.

I find them good for privacy and although they look flimsy they work well. There was a slight rattle on one but an additional screw sorted that problem. They do restrict the view very slightly but this is not a problem and you can still have an unrestricted view of the exterior mirrors.

Ref my previous comment on interior mirror you have to resort to a bit of force to slide the mirror arm up and off its mounting pad (which is bonded to the windscreen)

If you have to do it a gentle tap with a hammer will remove it. Protect the windscreen with some thick cardboard

spospe

I believe that the cab-door mirrors, and their positions, are the same for Mk 6 and Mk 7 Transits, and that the vast majority of coachbuilt motorhomes will have mirrors with the longest available 'arms'. The longer the 'arm' the less likely that the 'cassette structure' that carries the Remis blinds will interfere with a driver's view of the door mirrors through the cab side-windows.

It really needs a panel-van conversion (PVC) owner to comment on this. You could try PM-ing Andrew Bromley ("brom") as his Transit Mk 7-based Globecar PVC has Remis cab blinds. See

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12496&posts=12

(I don't have any complaints about the mirrors on my LHD Transit Mk 6-basec Hobby providing an inadequate view rearwards, though I recall not being able to see much behind when I test-drove a RHD Eura Mobil Profila with much the same body-width. Odd that, as I would have expected the Profila to have had 'longest arm' mirrors and I wouldn't have anticipated RHD or LHD to make a significant difference.)

We fitted Remis to our KONTIKI 610, the only problem was the internal mirror that was to close to the window and had to be extended slightly so the blinds closed behind, it didn't take my O.H. more than 2o minutes to do this and I think it is possible even to buy and extension.

To stop the rattle when driving we made a couple of black elastic bands 1/2" thick with Velcro for the side window blinds the front aren't a problem.

they are much tidier than curtains and are quickly closed, care must be taken with the half lights and there is a knack closing them which you soon get used to taking it slowly! you cant be hamfisted with them. As we dont use the van the winter months and dont leave them closed, we have a outside silver screen, I cant tell you how good or bad they are for insulation, but we are lad we fitted them.

Thanks again for all the replies. Can I ask you all a further question and that is, do you consider them value for money? I have seen the blinds on eBay for between £450 - £500 and whilst this does not frighten me off, it does seem quite a lot for some pleated blind material.

spospe - 2010-01-27 5:09 PM

...Can I ask you all a further question and that is, do you consider them value for money?...

I think I paid the equivalent of about £220 in 2005 for Remis cab-blinds as an option on my Hobby. They are handy for providing privacy, but are useless for cold-weather insulation. On Transits they also obstruct side-window interior insulating 'screens' and may make fitting awkward for certain makes of exterior insulating screen.

It was useful to have them from the onset on the Hobby as there's no other means of obscuring the cab windows offered as standard. At £220, and with hindsight and experience of their usage, I guess I MIGHT think it worthwhile retro-fitting them, but, at the £450-£500 you've quoted, absolutely no chance.

It looks like the average asking-price for a full set of REMIfront cab-blinds for a Mk-7 Transit is currently around £500. However, the following firm is offering REMIfront windscreen and side-window kits separately:

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/cassette-blinds-ford-c-48_69_119.html

This may be a better way to go, as it's the side-window Transit blinds that tend to be noisy when driving (and that need care that they aren't damaged during usage), and it would side-step any potential problem of the side-window blinds' 'housings' reducing a driver's view of the cab door mirrors. A combination of a REMIfront blind for the windscreen and a couple of insulating 'sucker' pads for the side windows would be much cheaper than a full set of blinds and probably no less convenient to use.

maggyd, the current cost of a set of Remis blinds for a MK7 Transit from www.motorcaravanning.co.uk is quoted as being £545.00.

Derek, I looked at the marcleleisure website and found that it was not very helpful with descriptions, or photos of the blinds (price about the same as the motorcaravanning website above).

For the cost of these blinds, I am disappointed in the quality of information available on the web from people who are selling them. For example, I know that there is a difference between the front blinds for a MK7 with and without rain sensors built into the windscreen, yet neither of the above sellers mention this fact.

Thanks again for all your help. I will keep looking.

spospe - 2010-01-27 5:09 PM

Thanks again for all the replies. Can I ask you all a further question and that is, do you consider them value for money? I have seen the blinds on eBay for between £450 - £500 and whilst this does not frighten me off, it does seem quite a lot for some pleated blind material.

At that price I wouldn't bother, we never use our ones in the winter always use external screen cover and in the summer if staying more than one night use the external ones to keep the heat out.

Archived