Buying a new van this year?

Guest Tracker

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-01-28 6:04 PM

That German for George m'Lud???? :D

Madam you really have no time for frivolity...The clock is ticking, and you have no genny for the show. May I suggest the cheapest noisiest (diesel best for this) dirtiest one you can find. You will probably win a prize from the funsters :-S

Might one remind his Lordship that one has had a solar panel and extra leisure battery fitted .... so one will not be into 'noisy' charging, more like 'stealth' charging!!! :-S

You're only jealous 'cause you ain't gonna be there to get up to your old tricks of chatting up the ladies ... and letting them play with your wig. :D

neil malcolmson - 2010-01-28 5:33 PM

So this thread reads- Its got to be german and not a Fiat. :-S

Spot on, about German had British caravans in the past won't make that mistake again.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

No complaints about the Fiat and it's an X/250.

lennyhb - 2010-01-28 7:16 PM

OT

Why do smiley faces change to text if you edit & add a line of text?

I have noticed that for some reason the tick disappears fro the "allow emoticons" box when you edit a posting and you have to click on it to put the tick back in. Don't know why that happens though. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
mick noe - 2010-01-28 8:35 PM

imho my overcab bed is a total waste of time , good for storing light but bulky gear ,but sleeping adults no way(and the wife and I are small).hymer style pull down beds look good to us but have never tried one........any comments :-D

Our overcab is fine, the blown heating extends up into the back of the alcove and its very comfortable.

mick noe - 2010-01-28 8:35 PM

imho my overcab bed is a total waste of time , good for storing light but bulky gear ,but sleeping adults no way(and the wife and I are small).hymer style pull down beds look good to us but have never tried one........any comments :-D

Overcab beds do vary in size, particularly with respect tp headroom. I find our Swift is great but only as a single bed. Due to dodgy knees, Mrs AliB now finds climbing the ladder too difficult.

Missus finds German beds too hard and has to use memory foam. I find them just right. The Hymer bed is curved along the windscreen edge and this seems to make it too narrow for both of us. Bit of a pain to get in and out (ladder is hard on your feet) though it is worth it. In ten years of aclassing, I can't remember a bad night's sleep. My missus doesn't agree and now sleeps downstairs. It is dark in an aclass bed with no chinks of light peeping through.

Doubt I'll buy another aclass though. Visibility is poor at some junctions and maintenance is hard work and costlier, and they are very pricey to buy.

Hi Brock,

Yes, have to agree we also find the over-cab very comfortable and get a great nights sleep. No messing about with tables and cushions etc every night. (Non Fixed Beds). With regard to the step ladder hard on your feet, if their round rungs? Try putting some pipe insulation on them, with bindings of insulation tape in three or four places, to keep them.

cheers Em.

Another thing to consider with regard to payloads, is how much water do you need, some vans have massive 140litre water tanks - sounds great, but in reality do you need that much? Water is available free at all fuel stations and most Aires in europe, our van carries 100l, (10 in the carver + 90 in tank), which does us for 2 days, travelling A-B we tend to only have the carver full and carry a 5l can for drinks, unless we are planning to free camp somewhere without water in which we will fill up at the nearest place to our destination.

If you want to bring back duty free wine, just return with empty tanks and you can carry the extra in wine! - not in the tank though - but quite a nice thought to have wine on tap! (lol)

Archived