towing on a-frame

eric hobson

towing on a-frame  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't time to check these threads but I seem to recall that in Germany someone has to sit in the towed vehicle. Could be very wrong about this but it is true in one European country if not Germany.

You could contact the AA and RAC on this matter and see what they advise. I did this once in regard to A-frame towing in Spain and the answer was very comprehensive.

We have towed our Smart car on an A Frame through Germany and a coach driver was most interested and discussed the German viewpoint in detail. He said that it is illegal for vehicles registered in Germany but not from other countries and that he had toyed with the idea of getting a vehicle registered in the UK with a friend's address so he could use the A frame in his own country. As he is a professional driver we assume he knows what he was talking about.

We were also followed by German police on 3 seperate occassions whilst towing and as they eventually passed us, every time we got a cheery nod or wave. (Could be because I am a continual waver / smiler when we are out and about in the M.H.)

No problems with towing in this way (so far) in France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Austria or Italy. The worse that could happen if they decide it is a no go is that (after some argument from me) I would have to drive behind the MH for the rest of the journey in any particular country.

Our car and motorhome insurance companies are both happy with the arrangement (a very small charge on the car insurance for an "adapted" vehicle - at least this proves they know about it and it is the car insurance that covers the towed vehicle!)

Hope this helps..... B-)

Our car and motorhome insurance companies are both happy with the arrangement (a very small charge on the car insurance for an "adapted" vehicle - at least this proves they know about it and it is the car insurance that covers the towed vehicle!)

Hi,

After several phone calls to insurers and the underwriter at Aviva I can confirm that there should be no extra charge for having a a-frame fitted to a car. The insurer I was with was asking for £425 I asked for a quote without the a-frame and was told it was the same. I then asked why It was £425 when a straight forward quote was between £150 and £200. There reply was well you haven,t removed the a-frame have you !.

I the got a quote from Saga and explained I had an a-frame fitted and wanted 12 month continental cover. They got in touch with their underwriters and came back to me with exactly the same quote I obtained from their web site. £125 Yes £125 and confirmed that I was fully insured when towing the car

Writiing from sunny Conil de la frontera after 5 days of Rain

Richard

Patricia - 2010-01-27 12:15 AM

I haven't time to check these threads but I seem to recall that in Germany someone has to sit in the towed vehicle. Could be very wrong about this but it is true in one European country if not Germany.

I would be very interested to know which country has this law?

DJP - 2010-01-28 2:54 PM

Patricia - 2010-01-27 12:15 AM

Archived