Motorhoming with dogs

janbat

Colin Leake - 2010-01-29 5:01 PM

On caravan Club sites they expressly forbid the leaving of dogs on Motorhomes and Caravans mainly to aviod possible noise from the dog. As ours does not bark or whine we do sometimes leave her for short periods of up to an hour in cool weather and have never been pulled up about this.

I always use Caravan Club sites and leave my dogs in the van without any problems ( except for the time the dogs locked me out of the van!)

I choose sites that are walking distance from town centres and have left the dogs for a couple of hours without anyone passing comment.

On the occasions when we have used the Caravan Club main sites in the past, we have left out dogs whilst we went out for a couple of hours or so and have never had any problems at all from the site wardens or anyone else.

The last time we were on a main CC site we had 2 small dogs, both of whom liked to have a little 'howl' when we left the van, for about 20-30 seconds, then they would be as quiet as mice. Anyone passing at the time that they were having their 'howl' used to think it was really funny, rather than a nuisance, as we walked away we often used to see people standing and pointing at the 'van and giggling to themselves at the sight and sound of two little mutts 'singing'.

What we did do, though, is try to get a pitch out of the way so that the dogs weren't unduly disturbed by passing traffic/people, and because we like the 'quieter' spots anyway.

Just clocking in as another dog owner :-D cant add much to the other helpfull posts, we always pull the blinds when popping into the supermarket and have the roof vent/fan blowing, its best to park with the sun behind us as our dog likes to sit in the drivers seat and watch for us coming back, always leave a bowl of water and O.H. comes back to van as soon as he has had a quick look around.

We take our dog with us whenever we go out, we only eat out if we can take him with us and have never been refused abroad! unlike this country when its a bit hit and miss and mostly have to eat outside. You have to adapt when you have a dog, but he is worth it! we hated it when our last dog died going away wasnt the same! he fills a big gap that was left when our 4 children got married and moved out of the nest.

Thanks to all new replies:

Colin its a worry to hear Brownhills Notts are not good, I'll have to look at what people have said then. Maybe put up a new question on the forum to ask about experiences from this dealer - if you are allowed to do so.

J9 - It has made us more confident to know people do have to leave dogs sometimes & we now know its ok.

Mel B - good idea about the quiet spot away from everybody, I think we can manage this as we are outside of school hols when we go.

Maggyd - I understand exactly how you feel when kids leave home. The dog has become our 'kid' and will holiday with us that is why we want a motorhome because of her.

Mel B, I'll not bother to ask questions about any dealerships - I should know better really.

We plan to keep looking this year for a van (to get it right) and we'll be ready to buy next year and we will certainly be travelling to France as well as in the UK. We have been going to the NEC shows lately and visit auctions and all sorts. Its quite nice looking around all the layouts we are enjoying this.

As a responsable dog owner you have a duty to buy your dog a motorhome. How would you like it if you were a dog stuck in one location going on the same walks, meeting the same people and dogs every day? You also need to make sure the bed is not too high so that said dog can comfortably jump on it in the morning to wake you and get also get down without harming itself.

Just for the record the most dogs we have ever seen in one motorhome is 9! We have also seen a small VW camper with 4 greyhounds and another motorhome with 4 great danes!

Good luck with finding the right layout you are certianly wise to take your time. We took two years to find ours but five yars later we still have the same Rapido mainly because we can't find a better layout.

I never though of blaming the dog at the time but this did happen to us one morning when we had gone for a shower. Fortunately with the old style Fiat the Green Flag man managed to open the doors in no time flat. However be very careful with the new Fiats because the locks are shielded and the only way to get in is to break a window.

Colin,

Very funny looking at a dogs perspective.

Regarding m/h we have seen a Rapido 860F at a dealership last year - fixed rear double bed with garage & still keep looking at it now (we have kept a photo of it).

David - good idea to pm members we may do that as said dealership is so close to us and handy. Its a shame if we cant use them.

And also these dogs that sit in drivers seat might stand on a handbrake to get a better view of you while booking in!! and if said handbrake hasnt been applied properly!! you might just see your motorhome slowly rolling back down hill 8-) !! you have to be fit to run open door and catch it. *-)

We have two older collies. The van to them is home and are more than happy to be left for a few hours to catch upon sleep whilst we go cycling off.

This is how we manage it:

Draw the roller blinds (silver oustside so reflect heat).

External silver screens to front.

Fiamma Turbo roof fan (very powerful), that has a thermostat, blowing air in.

Leave other roof light open let air out.

If hot we also have a desk fan that runsoff the inverter.

A inside/outside thermometer allows you to monitor temperatures.

This set up keeps the van within 1.5 degrees of outside temperature.

Archived