Fitting DLR's on X/250

lennyhb

Thinking about fitting some Daylight running Lights on my van I'm hoping someone maybe Nick (euroserv) can help out with wiring info.

Looking at fitting some LED ones, as they are offered as an option trying to find out if provision is made in the wiring loom & its just a case of connecting them and plugging in a relay.

I want them wired so they come on with the ignition (without any other lights) easy enough to do on an older vehicle, a bit worried about wiring them in with the CAN BUSS system.

Hello Lenny,

Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for the X250 but am sure that anything that you do that utilises any existing wiring will cause havoc with the CAN system.

I would have thought the best (if not particularly easy) way would be to ask a Fiat dealer or camper firm within a country where DRL is mandatory how they go about it.

CAN BUS is a nightmare. We have recently had a van with the message 'check engine' and the management light on which normally indicates an egr fault that actually had low air-con pressure! Replace pipe, fill with gas and now 'engine fault' gone. Go figure!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying, exactly what I'm afraid off.

Had a bit of experience, when we took delivery of the van unknown to us one of rear stop lights wasn't working & dealer had connected it to the LED High level stop light. Everything was fine at first then a bulb failurer light came on then a few weeks later stop lights on permanently, next time started the van alights OK but cruise controls turns it's self off after 5 miles, next time stop lights on again.

I found the link the dealer had put in (lucky my mate has the same van), disconnected it everything worked fine for 3 months then one of the rear stop lights stopped working.

Fiat dealer found the fault Hymer had nicked the wiring loom when fitting the leisure battery under drivers seat cost £350 to find & fix, Hymer Germany coughed up without a problem.

If you want the headlights on an X/250 to come on automatically as DLRs just leave them switched on!

On all Fiat vehicles I have owned (cars and vans) lights turn off automatically when you turn off the ignition. It's a feature I like rather than the annoying warning buzzer on other makes.To put on parking lights have always had to turn the ignition key in the opposite direction (may be a button to press on the lock) then remove the key.

Simples!

Clive

It should be possible to do it the proper way as it was offered as an option from 2009 on Hymers.

If not I will fit a high sensitivity relay on an ignition feed as this will only draw about 10ma & shouldn't effect the Can Buss & wire the DLR's via relay and a fuse to the battery.

Archived