Is it possible?

Stuart

Just to clarify you CANNOT put the maps on the SD card and then transfer them from that to the Tom Tom unit.

If your mapping is on the SD card then the aire POIs will need to be put on the SD card, but if the mapping in on your Tom Tom unit's internal memory, you need to put the aire POI's on that - below explains how to do it for the latter.

I've had a word with hubby - this is what he said:

Assuming:

- You are currently running the mapping off the internal memory of the Tom Tom.

- The aire POIs are already on the PC - you should have a .ov2 file and a .bmp file.

If so, all you need to do is to transfer these 2 files from your PC to the Tom Tom unit direct.

1) Link your Tom Tom to the PC via the USB lead and turn the Tom Tom unit on and it should ask if you want to link to the PC, click okay/yes, then when the software starts (assuming the Tom Tom Home software is loaded on your PC), shut the software down when it starts (leave the Tom Tom unit turned on).

2) Now go into Windows Explorer and your Tom Tom hardware will be listed with a red circle icon - right click on it and do 'explore', this will then open all the files.

3) You now need to copy the .ov2 and .bmp files from your PC to the Tom Tom unit and put them in the map folder as appropriate (ie UK, Europe or wherever).

4) Now turn your Tom Tom unit off and disconnect it from the PC.

5) Turn the Tom Tom unit back on, go into the set-up (spanner icon) and then you need to make the aire POIs active so that they show up on your POI list.

If you get stuck just post again and I'll let you have hubby's mobile phone number so he can talk you through it.

Mel

Tks for info so far. I have not got the aires on my PC or anywhere else. Need to find where I can get them.

From memory, all that is on the SD card is German aires which my son, who is computer literate, unlike his father, put on the t-t some time ago but I have no idea where from. I had a look at a French language Aires site the other day but my French is not good enough to tackle it. What I did manage to work out was that a lot of French people had tried with varied success.

As you have probably gathered, I am well out of my depth with this lot.

Stuart

michele - 2010-01-28 7:59 PM

Yeah sorry Mel didnt mean that you didnt know if ya know what I mean :D

Michele - I seldom know exactly what you mean ( :D ) but on this occasion I did know exactly what you meant and I know you mean well, so the meaning being as it was meant, was fine. :-> 8-)

Hi folks,

I have managed to sort most of it out I think but the files (2 of them from Archies website) on the Tom Tom "western europe" file show a zip and do not seem to be accessible. How do I open them please?

TIA

Stuart

bakersboy - 2010-01-31 11:30 AM Thanks Rod, Found the WINRAR site but it has two options, x86 or x64 to try. Which one to use? (Said I know nothing of these 21st. century mysteries). Just scared of screwing up what I have already done. TIA Stuart

X86 is for the 32-bit version of Windows and X64 is for the 64-bit version of Windows.  Confused yet ?

The most common version is 32-bit but to confirm your version right-click over the 'my computer' icon and select properties.  'System type =' should tell you your particular version.

If you try to install the wrong version it 'should' stop and tell you and avoid screwing up your system.

W2G

Archived