Rosslare to Cherbourg using Tesco Rewards?

Madmaggott

Has anyone used their tesco rewards to book this crossing with Irish Ferries?  On the tesco site it looks as if it is not included in the offer. 

The reason I ask is because we live in Fishguard and it occurred to me that it might make sense (and save money) to use our vouchers to cross to Rosslare and from there to Cherbourg rather than travelling across to use the tunnel.

I dont think you can do that crossing with Tesco.

We have previously done the Dover / Calais crossing, this was not advertised on Tesco site so i phoned P&O, THEY ALLOWED THE CROSSING, but sadly that service ended with P&0 in 2008.

Usually the companies attatched to Clubcard, generally do a 3 year stint.

Last year we went with Eurotunnel, quite a bit more expensive in vouchers.

Give them a ring and ask tho.

But i have never seen Cherbourg on any of their sailings.

Collected Clubcard vouchers for years.

Off to Goa on Thursday, paid for by Tesco`s.

On our return will be at NEC SHOW.

yes used my clubcard points for our winter trip this year (just back)

you can use them but be careful as it's a bit of a rip off: if rippoff of something free is possible :-S

the web price was about 250 euro

tesco clubcard price over the phone was 320 euro

Trade 80 quids worth of vouchers to get 20 euro reduction

hmmmmm

bit mad but that's where it is.

Iain

I don't understand Ian Crosbie's experience either.  First this was a winter trip, so should have been far cheaper than stated.  Second he quotes Euro prices, but Belfast is not in the Euro, and he should have booked, and been charged, in Sterling. 

We have just booked an April out and June return, mid day, at £138 and were quoted exactly the web price by the Tesco booking line (I had the web page open while speaking to them).  After the tokens, total cash cost was £18, which is the cheapest crossing I've yet had!

Somewhere along the line, I think Ian managed to do something very wrong, and he should possibly check a) what has happened to his tokens, and b) that he has read, and follows to the letter, the Tesco/Eurotunnel instructions, before he books again.

Thanks for all your replies.  When the time comes to book, a bit later in the year, I'll give Tesco or the ferry company a ring and get an answer.  My OH favours driving to the tunnel but as we live in Fishguard this would seem to be a waste of fuel if we can get onto a ferry on our doorstep, even if it does mean 'changing' in Ireland.  

Clarified

Ok Yes I'm Belfast and yes we would have rather used pounds than euro

but

you can't book online when using tesco vouchers

yes it was a winter crossing and was cheaper online

yes I rand and booked over the phone and was quoted t6he web price and then the operator told me "oh sorry you can't get that price when using tesco vouchers"

Yes I did feel a bit cheated but hey it was still getting X4 on the face value of the tesco vouchers so I couldn't really complain.

Great crossing though take plenty of Euros for the bar onboard !

Different experience than Eurotunnel - same prices and we'll use that coupled with the Belfast Stranraer route as the Landbridge is much better value.

Kind of getting used to getting ripped off in the North though. That wee stretch of water akin to Dover Calais seems to add so muck to the price.

not complaining, just clarifying.

all the best folks

Iain

BEWARE!!!

Yes - you can use Tesco vouchers to book online on irishferries.co.uk from Rosslare to Cherbourg. There is now a Tessco vouchers link on their website.

HOWEVER. We just received our vouchers today. For sailings going out June and back July the quote WITHOUT the vouchers is for 369 euro each way and 99 euro each way for cabins making a total of 946 euro.

The quote WITH the vouchers is for 443 euro each way and 119 euro each way for cabins making a total of 1124 euro. To use the vouchers they also charge a booking fee of 15 euro.

I have emailed both Tesco and Irish Ferries to see why there is such a difference with the "deal" no answer as yet.

In the meantime I have been searching forums on the internet to see if anyone else has had the same problem and there are a lot of angry people out there!!! Apparently "the tickets are just the same - they just cost more with the vouchers."

I'll update with my replies from Tesco and IF as would hate to misquote them but as far as I can see from other peoples experiences - in this instance it is a case of "No Deal" and save your vouchers for something else such as magazine subscriptions or cheaper food!

Keep you posted. Hope this helps.

onecal vw - 2010-02-04 3:32 AM

Have a look at www.irishferries.com/tesco-tc.asp. hope it helps

Regards

Brendan

I have now found the information on the Irish Ferries website. Thanks for that Brendan.

It now remains to be seen if I can book online considering the post above.

Hi there

To keep you updated - here's my reply from Irish Ferries... I've replied to them asking where on the website the "normal" fares are to double check I'm not being ripped off!!!

There is definetly a new Tesco link now on the site to enable you to book online using the vouchers.

Reply: "I'm afraid that the Tesco vouchers can only be used on our standard fares and this would exclude the fares mentioned on the normal part of our website - these fares would include early booking offers and would be classed as "promotional". It is stated in the Tesco Deals booklet that your travel tokens would only be accepted on "non-promotional" and "unrestricted" fares."

Good luck.

Just a thought - if you want to compare prices BEFORE you send off for your vouchers - type TESCOIE into the promotional space.

Bare in mind you will need the actual vouchers before you make a real booking as you have to send them in to Irish Ferries within 5 days of making the online booking or it will be cancelled. It will give you an idea for prices at least.

Good luck and it would be great to know how you get on.

:-)

Archived