Dog food in mainland Europe

RogerGW

I shall be touring northern Europe this year, taking my dog with me. She's a small Staffie, about four years old. I propose spending most of my time in the Low Countries, Scandinavia and Finland.

On vets' advice (and on the basis of odiferous experience), I feed her on one of the James Wellbeloved dry foods. It's probably not readily available in those territories, so I wonder if anyone knows of similar foods that I could use instead.

Thanks,

Roger

I can't help you with your type of food but on thr ==e vet's advice I feed my dog on Chappie dry food which is not available abroad (I only know of Morrisons that sell it in England!) It comes in 5kg bags and I take enough for my stay. To transport it I find all sorts of odd corners. Could you not split the large bags into smaller ones?

...To transport it I find all sorts of odd corners. Could you not split the large bags into smaller ones?

That's a good suggestion, Patricia, and thank you for it. However, because I'm a full-timer, I've already used up most of the crooks and nannies in the van. There are too few left vacant for that to be practicable.

Roger

We have used various types of dry dog food, complete dog food etc., including James Wellbeloved over the years. If you go to a pet warehouse that has a big range of dog foods and look at the list of ingredients, you will find virtually no difference in the recipe.

Europe is not quite as bad as going up the Orinoco so I am sure you will find something suitable as Europeans are also dog lovers. Maybe you could google for complete dog foods and gain info on European brands. I think it would be easier all round for you if you could rely on a brand local to the country you are in.

Best of luck.

I havent noticed James Wellbelloved on our travels I would notice as my chihuahua has the pouches mixed with Royal Canine light. I take enough to last while were away six weeks is the longest we have been, I would take the dog food and leave anyting you might be taking for yourself (lol) as we eat anything whereis or dogs can be easily upset changing the food cant they?? and if your Vet has recommended James Wellbelloved he probably has a funny tummy as ours has.

Some short faced breeds, like Pugs etc., suffer from belching and flatulence by taking in air when eating. The dentition on some breeds is also poor so the food is not chewed fully. A greedy dog that `wolf`s` food may also be prone to this.

If this is the case then Roger all I can recommend is a good air freshener.

I wonder how often the word `flatulence` has come up on this forum. :D

If this is the case then Roger all I can recommend is a good air freshener.

None of them apply. I was referring to the likely, almost certain, consequence of my dog having to try new foods that are "virtually" the same as she's used to.

Roger

If you have no choice but to buy dog food in Europe then take as much of the James Wellbeloved as you can.

Add about 10% of the European brand to it and gradually increase the percentage over a couple of weeks. Doing it slowly might not produce the unwanted symptoms that you are worried about.

You could always eat a rich diet yourself and drink plenty of Guinness with it. So it will be a case of: if you cannot beat them, then join them. :D

Roger,

One other option might be to e-mail customer services and ask them if there is an equivalent of their brand which they produce for the European market. I have, on a few occasions, asked questions of British manufacturers about product suitability or availability for us in France and have received responses within a couple of days. Might be worth a try!

J

Yes I have a similar problem as both my dogs are on JWB (one has a dodgy tummy so didn't want to risk it). Managed to just about stuff enough in the van last year for 5 weeks. Didn't see JWB available in mainland europe. Royal Canin is available but apparently can cause some dogs to have a tummy upset.

If you know where you are going to be at some point may be worth contacting petplanet.co.uk as they supply JWB and post to mainland europe. So rather than risk it you could top up on route. can order online and their sales bods are really helpful.

cheers

One other option might be to e-mail customer services and ask them if there is an equivalent of their brand which they produce for the European market

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already written to them along similar lines but have had no reply yet. I'll chase them later this week.

Cheers,

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Archived