Best place to get a waste water outlet valve

kevandali

Hi everyone, Just pulled up on the drive and noticed that a plastic pipe was sticking out from the waste water tank but was suspended horizontally with the end of the pipe waving in mid air as the outlet valve had disappeared (hopefully bouncing down the road and missing other vehicles)

Can anyone advice me what sort of valve I should get? The old one was just a right angle valve that was awkward to get to. Thought of some sort of valve that is situated in the middle of the van but has a easily accessable from the side of the van? Any help much appreciated x

kevandali - 2010-01-29 12:21 PMHi everyone, Just pulled up on the drive and noticed that a plastic pipe was sticking out from the waste water tank but was suspended horizontally with the end of the pipe waving in mid air as the outlet valve had disappeared (hopefully bouncing down the road and missing other vehicles)

Can anyone advice me what sort of valve I should get? The old one was just a right angle valve that was awkward to get to. Thought of some sort of valve that is situated in the middle of the van but has a easily accessable from the side of the van? Any help much appreciated x

Hi KevandaliSwift's used a 3/4" BSP 1/4 turn Ball Valve, on our previous Bessacarr E410 & I think your 630L has the same setup. The Valve should be available from any Plumber's merchant.As the Valve is normally attached to a bracket (metal down-strap) from the chassis, it would be worth checking if that has been damaged.Also check the waste pipe still reaches the bracket.

Examples of the type of readily-available valve mentioned by Clive and flicka are shown on the following web-page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp

(Though kevandali's description suggests that their Swift had a cheap and nasty 'water-butt' valve of the sort beloved by UK converters.)

As pagey advises, CAK Tanks markets a wide range of drain-taps/valves, including the 'slide' type. A slide-valve is normally fixed directly to the tank, is often fitted with a remote operating handle, and might satisfy the wish to have "some sort of valve that is situated in the middle of the van but is easily accessible from the side of the van".

Me, I'd just mirror flicka's Bessacarr's arrangement, sticking a better design of drain-tap on the end of a flexible hose running between waste-tank and tap, ensuring that the tap is safely secured to the motorhome itself.

Continental motorhomes employing lever-operated ball-valves often use a slotted bracket set-up that allows the valve to be lowered well down for draining and be tucked back up out of harm's way under the motorhome afterwards.

My Hobby has a large lever-operated plastic ball-valve attached directly to the waste-tank, with a flexible drain-hose that is secured by clips behind the motorhome's side apron (and which I've occasionally forgotten to clip back up after draining the tank!)

Anyway, there are plenty of options...

Glad that all is resolved, but for what it is worth, we knocked the tap off one of our waste tanks, leaving a big hole in the bottom. After a call to those lovely people at CAK Tanks, I removed the tank and took it to them and they blocked up the hole, and fitted a new spigot in a better position and sold me the bits I needed to make a much better installation. I can't recall exactly what they charged, but it was peanuts. Brilliant! I recommend them.

AGD

Archived