'The Times' and Motorhomes in France

Keith Chesterfield

In Saturday's The Times Weekend section there's an article (pages36/37) on a familys Motorhome holiday in France.

Apparently a great time was had by all and they mention a publication called 'France Passion' and it's membership.

When you join you get to stay for free for one night at any one of 1400 properties throughout France.

The 2010 book isn't available until March but I wondered if anyone had used the membership in previous years to stay at the establishments they list?

France Passion comes up on this site regularly and if the search is working you can find previous posts. It is also regularly referred to in MMM and I think the agent in the UK is Vicarious Books, but I'll soon be corrected if I am wrong. You do not have to join FP to use the sites, we have used several while touring France, but membership would help to find them more easily.

FP is brilliant - if it suits you (ie few if any facilities, 1 night stay only at least in principle, no advance booking for most places.) Its stronger in some regions than others - far more places in wine regions, but there are interesting hosts in most areas.

You are supposed to be a current member - we've only had to show our card once, but there is also a windscreen sticker. No charge, but there can be moral pressure to buy produce - really painful on a vineyard! Some people have reported feeling harassed to buy, but I think that's a minority.

The book is available from Vicarious - alternatively you can buy direct from .

https://ssl5.ovh.net/~francepa/indexeng.php3?prov=

Mr. Grumpy - 2010-01-30 1:33 PM

You do not have to join FP to use the sites, we have used several while touring France, but membership would help to find them more easily.

If you are visiting France Passion sites without being a current member of the scheme, then you are being unfair to legitimate members and to the scheme itself.

I know that FP site-owners rarely bother to check for current FP membership (more's the pity) and I'm fully aware that people do choose to 'sponge' on the scheme. However, it does need highlighting that parking space at many FP sites can be extremely limited and, as parking is on a first-come basis, it's annoying when non-members/non-payers grab parking spaces they've no entitlement to.

Hi , Thoroughly recommend France passion, for stopovers en route, althought it does mean searching for the sites sometimes as the directions are not always easy to follow. There are lists of satnav details available on Internet but not published in the FP book itself , I have a large file in microsoft database format gathered from various sources including michelen map examinations in detail which can be loaded to Garmin or Mio satnavs.

Never found any pressure to buy produce, but temptation exists

Remember that you have to be self contained but some sites offer water and rubbish disposal and toilet facilities but not all. The book gives details

It certainly helps to speak French, but again not absolutely necessary all the time, and not every location has checked membership, but I always offer to show it on arrival

Locations vary widely, from under apple trees in orchard in Normandy (watch your height), to Carpark of Auberge with friendly dog in mid France, and overlooking lake adjacent to Hotel in the volcanic region near Clermont Ferrand.

Busiest site was near Calais where 5 vans were parked up overnight in the courtyard.

Site book and membership runs from March each year and is available from Vicarious books at Folkestone or direct from France Passion

tonyg3nwl

I have only used France Passion once and that was about 7 years ago . I didn't like it because shortly after arriving the farmer turned up and asked me if I wanted a cooked evening meal. I declined as we are vegetarians.

About an hour later his wife turned up with a basket of cheeses and some fruit which I bought and after that the farmer turned up again with a selection of wines. I bought 6 bottles at an inflated price just to get rid of him.

My experience might not be typical but I won't stay on one again especially when there are thousands of Aires to choose from and I now own a gps that can direct me to an Aire easily.

I got to the France Passion site from a signpost off the main road when I was looking for somewhere to rest after a day's drive. My recollection is that there was a fruit sign saying France Passion and camping. My guess is that some inexperienced motorhomers might use these sites without knowing about the membership situation; they are not necessarily after a freebie as has been implied.

I was not asked for a membership card. Perhaps the situation is different now but I don't like the idea of staying on somebody's land for free and then feel obligated to buy produce I don''t want at an inflated price. I would rather pay a few euros for an overnight stop. At least with Aires you know where you are and if there are local shops or bars I use them. But I don't feel obligated and that's the way I like it.

Mike in our opinion your experience is certainly not typical of France Passion stopovers. We have used a niumber over the past five/six years and have never felt pressured to buy anything. We do, where we can, buy something as we think it only right to do so. Not always possible as sometimes the owners are too busy, or it is a bank holiday etc whilst in other cases they sell products we do not eat. What we can say is that we always find the hosts very freindly, yes it does help to speak a little French, and have stayed in some great locations. It is also true that some are dificult to find and the roads can be long and narrow. Soapart from ones we know and enjoy returning to, we now tend to use mainly as an insurance policy, if the aire we are heading for is for some reason out of commission for example, then we Know France Passion can provide the back-up.

RoyH - 2010-01-31 5:28 PM

I agree with Derek above. But, sadly this "me me me, something for nothing " attitude seems to to be way ours (and others) society has gone, from Prime Ministers downwards.

How do you know that people use sites without being members? Surely you don't ask people if their membership is current or examine their vehicles for a sticker.

I hope that "me me me "comment was not directed at me for using an Aire once and buying the farmer's produce. If it was I hope you will read my post carefully from which you will see that I prefer to pay and not be enticed into buying something I don't want.

However, I note from a previous post that my single experience of France Passion was untypical but I daren't try one again for fear of some busy body checking my membership is current.

malc d - 2010-01-31 6:22 PM

I thought that the current year sticker in your windscreen indicated that you were a current member.

So surely no need for anyone to ask ??

:-|

I also said ".......or examine their vehicles for a sticker."

By that you would have to walk over to a vehicle and physically check when its not your place to do so.

Mike88 - 2010-01-31 6:25 PM

malc d - 2010-01-31 6:22 PM

I thought that the current year sticker in your windscreen indicated that you were a current member.

So surely no need for anyone to ask ??

:-|

I also said ".......or examine their vehicles for a sticker."

By that you would have to walk over to a vehicle and physically check when its not your place to do so.

Mike

I'm not having a go !

It seems to me that the landowner/ farmer or whatever just needs to look at your windscreen to see if you are a current member.

Whether or not he then accepts you on the site is up to him.

Keith Chesterfield - 2010-01-30 1:20 PM

In Saturday's The Times Weekend section there's an article (pages36/37) on a familys Motorhome holiday in France.

Apparently a great time was had by all and they mention a publication called 'France Passion' and it's membership.

When you join you get to stay for free for one night at any one of 1400 properties throughout France.

The 2010 book isn't available until March but I wondered if anyone had used the membership in previous years to stay at the establishments they list?

The article can be found on line here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/france/article7006980.ece

I am only agreeing with Derek that if you are not a member of the France Passion system then you should not use the service as you are depriving someone who has paid to be a member. Whether you feel pushed into buying something is yours to deal with.

That's fine but I also said:

"I got to the France Passion site from a signpost off the main road when I was looking for somewhere to rest after a day's drive. My recollection is that there was a fruit sign saying France Passion and camping. My guess is that some inexperienced motorhomers might use these sites without knowing about the membership situation; they are not necessarily after a freebie as has been implied. "

That is exactly how I found myself on a France Passion site in my first year of motorhoming in 2003 having previously been a caravanner for 30 plus years where only campsites were a possibility. It was only the following morning that I realised that I did not have to pay.

I have since found out about France Passion so do not stay on their sites because I'm not a member.

Hi,

Do the farmers etc who sign up to the FP scheme tie themselves from accepting passing motorhomer/trade.

Or is the scheme just to enhance the possibility of getting more than NORMAL trade and thereby allowing them to pick and chose who they allow onto their land,

Or are they by allowing their farm etc to be listed, restricting it to just those that have purchased a FP membership, thereby possibly reducing/restricting any passing trade.

Anyone know the answers

When I joined the scheme many years ago it had not been in existence long and the literature definitely stated that you were life members. Each year you were invited to subscribe again mainly in order to receive updated information as the scheme was expanding (there were very few farmers etc. involved originally, in fact almost all were wine producers) but this was not obligatory. Maybe the organisation of the scheme has now changed (I have not used it for a few years) but that was the situation then. I think that they hoped you would encourage new people to join and I remember recommending many friends to use the scheme.

The answer, I think, is in what used to be called enlightened self-interest. 

The owner of the property is a business and has some widgets to sell.  Through the France Passion organisation, they make space for motorhomes available on their property, in the hope that some of the visiting motorhomers will buy their widgets.  In exchange for France Passion's organisation, and to demonstrate fairness, they agree not to charge the motorhomers to stay, nor press them to buy.  The motorhomer may stay gratis, and does not have to buy anything, but it is understood that they will be shown what is on offer, with the implied invitation to buy should they so wish.

These folk give free accommodation on their own land, in the hope their guests will reward them with a little trade.  Thus, both parties should benefit from the visit, provided both stick to the rules of a very genteel agreement. 

The problem, as ever, is that for mutual satisfaction the agreement requires the existence of genteel folk!  :-)

braunston - 2010-01-31 7:55 PM

Hi,

Do the farmers etc who sign up to the FP scheme tie themselves from accepting passing motorhomer/trade.

Or is the scheme just to enhance the possibility of getting more than NORMAL trade and thereby allowing them to pick and chose who they allow onto their land,

Or are they by allowing their farm etc to be listed, restricting it to just those that have purchased a FP membership, thereby possibly reducing/restricting any passing trade.

Anyone know the answers

It's possible to join the France Passion scheme directly (see website www.france-passion.com) or via agents such as Vicarious books in the UK and motorhome dealerships in France.

The initial subscription gets you a booklet describing the scheme and providing details of where the FP-site 'hosts' (farms, vineyards, restaurants, etc.) are located, what produce/services they offer, the number of motorhomes that can be accommodated, when the FP-site may be unavailable (eg. during wine harvesting) and so on. A map and a booklet on eateries recommended by FP-site hosts are also included, as is a windscreen-sticker for the appropriate membership year that runs Easter-to-Easter. Once you've joined the scheme, there's the opportunity to renew annual membership at a reduced rate.

The basic 'rules' of the FP scheme are simply that a motorcaravanner who is a FP member should not be charged for a single overnight halt at a FP-site, and that there is no obligation for a FP-scheme member to purchase anything from a FP-site host.

A FP-site host may (possibly) offer alternative motorhome overnight parking, or camping, on a payment basis, in which case it's likely that a check for current FP-scheme membership will be made.

Let's also imagine a scenario where a motorcaravanner who is not a member of the FP scheme visits, say, a wine-maker who is a FP-site host and who offers wine-tastings to casual passers-by. If the motorcaravanner buys a load of wine and then asks where the nearest campsites are, there's a good chance he/she will be invited to stay overnight. That's OK by me - it's the wine-maker's property and, as far as I'm concerned, he/she has the right to invite any visiting motorcaravanners to stay there if he/she so chooses.

Presumably there has been confusion in the past regarding the FP-scheme 'rules', as many of the FP-sites now have information boards that summarise them. But the scheme (as Brian says) does function not so much on rigid regulations, but on the basis that everyone will use a modicum of common sense and "savoir vivre", and generally play the game.

My earlier complaint related specifically to Mr Grumpy's statement that "You do not have to join FP to use the sites". This is undoubtedly true, but it's poor advice. It's equally true that, on many small French campsites, you won't have to pay campsite fees if you can sneak in and out without the warden catching you, but it's advice that most forum members (hopefully) would frown on if it were offered to people planning to visit France.

There's another scheme called "Camping-Car d'Hôtes" that's somewhat on the same lines as France Passion. For details see

http://www.campingcardhotes.fr/

Just to confuse things still further - we've been to at least 1 FP host which is also listed as a private aire in the Guide National des Aires! But in support of Derek's comments, I think the Aires guide said there was small charge but free to FP members - definitely the same camping area though.

Solwaybuggier - 2010-02-01 10:33 AM

Just to confuse things still further - we've been to at least 1 FP host which is also listed as a private aire in the Guide National des Aires! But in support of Derek's comments, I think the Aires guide said there was small charge but free to FP members - definitely the same camping area though.

So when Derek (supported by Roy) says these sites are used all too frequently by non members to "sponge" how does he know. Does he physically check someone else's vehicle to see whether there is a valid sticker or does he ask the motorhomer if he is a fully paid up member?

I do not condemn people that easily. I'm in the camp that most motorhomers do not freeload and end up on these sites (one site in my case) because a camping sign lures them there from the main road.

Plus, if a "non member" turns up buys wine or whatever from the farmer, thus putting cash in his/her pocket, who are you to start accusing people of "sponging".

Its the same as CL/CS sites over here, if a farmer wants to earn a few quid letting people stay at his farm when no one else is there, then a club member turns up out of the blue, what's the farmer to do? Turn away paying "guests" just in case?

Never going to happen in a million years with any farmer in any country!

Mike88 - 2010-02-01 12:18 PM

So when Derek (supported by Roy) says these sites are used all too frequently by non members to "sponge" how does he know. Does he physically check someone else's vehicle to see whether there is a valid sticker or does he ask the motorhomer if he is a fully paid up member?

I do not condemn people that easily. I'm in the camp that most motorhomers do not freeload and end up on these sites (one site in my case) because a camping sign lures them there from the main road.

I actually said "I'm fully aware that people do choose to 'sponge' on the scheme": I said nothing about "all too frequently".

The reason I'm aware this goes on is that it's occasionally come up in casual conversation with other motorcaravanners at FP-sites and they've volunteered the information.

Tomo3090 - 2010-02-01 6:50 PM

Plus, if a "non member" turns up buys wine or whatever from the farmer, thus putting cash in his/her pocket, who are you to start accusing people of "sponging".

It seems that you've not bothered to read through my earlier posting in this thread where I said

"Let's also imagine a scenario where a motorcaravanner who is not a member of the FP scheme visits, say, a wine-maker who is a FP-site host and who offers wine-tastings to casual passers-by. If the motorcaravanner buys a load of wine and then asks where the nearest campsites are, there's a good chance he/she will be invited to stay overnight. That's OK by me - it's the wine-maker's property and, as far as I'm concerned, he/she has the right to invite any visiting motorcaravanners to stay there if he/she so chooses."

I also accept that a motorcaravanner who is not an FP-member and is unfamiliar with the scheme may inadvertently and innocently overnight at an FP-site (as happened with Mike88), particularly as the FP signage resembles the signage used with "Welcome to the Farm" and "Camping on the Farm" schemes. But I believe such occurrences will be rare.

Far more likely though is that, when motorcaravanners who are not FP-members overnight at FP-sites, they do it deliberately. Here's an example...

We had arrived at a cider farm FP-site in lower Normandy. Two motorhomes were already there, one French-registered and the other with Belgian plates. When talking to the French driver, I asked if he used the FP scheme much and he said No. He told me he had joined the scheme a few years before, but found that he was using FP-sites only infrequently so had not renewed his initial year's membership subscription. He still had his original FP 'site guide' of course, and was using this to locate FP-sites. The Belgian driver asked me whether we found the FP scheme useful as he thought he might join. I inquired how he had managed to find the cider farm, as it was well off the beaten track. He replied that he'd been to Mont-Saint-Michel where he'd met the French motorcaravanner who had said "I know a good place to stay the night free" and he'd followed him to the farm.

As it happens, that particular FP-site has (or rather "had" as it's no longer within the FP scheme) enough parking space for twenty motorhomes, let alone three, so there was never going to be any parking competition. But that's not the case with many FP-sites - which is what I was emphasising in my first posting.

If you dislike the word "sponge", what would you suggest as a more apt alternative?

Solwaybuggier - 2010-02-01 10:33 AM

I'm aware of a FP-site that is shown in 'aires' guides and on the campingcar-infos website as offering three free overnight parking spaces and water/waste services. The information is correct as far is goes - there are indeed three spaces and water and waste-emptying points - but I'm not sure if the FP-site owner has provided them for non-FP-members. Next time we visit there I might ask her.

Archived